Sky broadband router

Old February 17th 08, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Parr

Default Sky broadband router

Anyone know who makes the current Sky BB router? When I last looked, a few
months ago, it was a Netgear but the one they're showing now is different.

Besides the wireless connection it seems to have two wired ethernet ports -
can anyone confirm that from experience?
I really need 4 wired ports, but I assume I can plug a separate ethernet hub
into the router to cover this?

Also, any experience on how reliable the router is proving to be?

Thanks
GP

Old February 17th 08, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MeGgAhUrTz

"George Parr" wrote in message
Anyone know who makes the current Sky BB router? When I last looked, a few
months ago, it was a Netgear but the one they're showing now is different.

Sagem or the newer Netgear

Besides the wireless connection it seems to have two wired ethernet
ports -
can anyone confirm that from experience?
I really need 4 wired ports, but I assume I can plug a separate ethernet
hub
into the router to cover this?

It has 4 ports

Also, any experience on how reliable the router is proving to be?

Very Reliable, I myself have managed to extract my username and password
from the newer Netgear Router so I can at any time/stage change my router if
I wish..

Old February 17th 08, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Parr

"MeGgAhUrTz" wrote in message

"George Parr" wrote in message
Anyone know who makes the current Sky BB router? When I last looked, a
few
months ago, it was a Netgear but the one they're showing now is
different.

Sagem or the newer Netgear

Thanks for that info - do you get to choose the one you want? I currently
use a Netgear 834 with another ISP and have been happy with that router
so I'd prefer to stick with Netgear.

It has 4 ports

But they say two of them (blue&green) are for future services - do they all
work as normal ports in the meantime?

Old February 18th 08, 01:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baldy Man

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:10:03 -0000, "George Parr"
wrote:

[...]

It is a Sagem [email protected] It has four ports but two do not appear to
work, at least on the one I had. The two that do work only worked at
100mbps which wasn't much use to me as I have a 10mbps Netgear Storage
Central. Sky Help Desk and Customer Services wouldn't help in any way
saying that any more than one computer on their router and it is all
your problem.

You can apparently get your username and password from the box if you
serious want to risk killing it or at least leaving it with a lower
version of firmware. Sky allegedly can tell if you are not using their
kit.

I binned Sky after 27 hours of no help and frustration. They may be
cheap but you get what you pay for. I went to BT and their Home Hub
worked straight out the box. Only two ports but I can use my other
router if I so wish.... and the hub will act as a wireless repeater if
required. All I can say is that ditching Sky was the best move I made.

Old February 18th 08, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MeGgAhUrTz

"George Parr" wrote in message
Thanks for that info - do you get to choose the one you want? I currently
use a Netgear 834 with another ISP and have been happy with that router
so I'd prefer to stick with Netgear.

Don`t think so..

It has 4 ports

But they say two of them (blue&green) are for future services - do they
all
work as normal ports in the meantime?

On my Netgear (V2) they do...