3G-USB Broadband Dongles

Old February 17th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default 3G-USB Broadband Dongles

I notice an increasing range of these. Are there any short term (1 or 3 month
) contracts available, they all seem to be on 18/24 month contracts ?

I'm thinking in terms of using one to 'bridge the gap' while moving house etc.

--
Mark
Old February 17th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Mark Carver brought next idea :
I notice an increasing range of these. Are there any short term (1 or 3 month
) contracts available, they all seem to be on 18/24 month contracts ?

I'm thinking in terms of using one to 'bridge the gap' while moving house
etc.

Buy one SIM free and use an existing Voice SIM with a data bundle on it
that you can drop off when not needed?

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=141528

They're not terribly cheap, hence the 12/18/24 month terms.

For that matter, do you have a 3G phone you can hook up with a USB
cable?

Old February 17th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:25:20 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:
I notice an increasing range of these. Are there any short term (1 or 3 month
) contracts available, they all seem to be on 18/24 month contracts ?

I'm thinking in terms of using one to 'bridge the gap' while moving house etc.

I saw an advert in Metro that implied 3 were now doing them on PAYG. 10
quid for 1GB (IIRC), then an eye-watering 1/Mbyte after that.

Old February 17th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 17 Feb 2008, Soruk wrote

wrote:
I notice an increasing range of these. Are there any short term
(1 or 3 month ) contracts available, they all seem to be on
18/24 month contracts ?

I'm thinking in terms of using one to 'bridge the gap' while
moving house etc.

I saw an advert in Metro that implied 3 were now doing them on
PAYG. 10 quid for 1GB (IIRC), then an eye-watering 1/Mbyte
after that.

I think there's a fairly substantial up-front purchase cost in
addition to that, though. (Like phones, the price of the hardware
depends on the contract term.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old February 17th 08, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

In uk.telecom.mobile HVS wrote:
I think there's a fairly substantial up-front purchase cost in
addition to that, though. (Like phones, the price of the hardware
depends on the contract term.)

100 quid for the HSDPA USB modem on PAYG:
http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/default.aspx
(click on 'USB modem')

Or you can use a 3G phone as a modem for no extra cost.
If it's not an HSDPA phone it'll be 384Kbps rather than 1.8/3.6/7.2Mbps.
(But think it's only Vodafone with 7.2Mbps).

50 quid for the USB modem on PAYG if you're a student or know one, buy
before the end of the month:
http://www.three.co.uk/personal/prod..._/students.omp

Theo
Old February 17th 08, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.mobile HVS wrote:
I think there's a fairly substantial up-front purchase cost in
addition to that, though. (Like phones, the price of the hardware
depends on the contract term.)

100 quid for the HSDPA USB modem on PAYG:
http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/default.aspx
(click on 'USB modem')

Or you can use a 3G phone as a modem for no extra cost.
If it's not an HSDPA phone it'll be 384Kbps rather than 1.8/3.6/7.2Mbps.
(But think it's only Vodafone with 7.2Mbps).

Nokia 6120 is HSDPA and 99.99 on 3 PAYT

Steve Terry

Old February 18th 08, 02:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

wrote:
I notice an increasing range of these. Are there any short term (1 or 3
month
) contracts available, they all seem to be on 18/24 month contracts ?

I'm thinking in terms of using one to 'bridge the gap' while moving house
etc.

I saw an advert in Metro that implied 3 were now doing them on PAYG. 10
quid for 1GB (IIRC), then an eye-watering 1/Mbyte after that.

I'm using 3's 3G to surf the net now with my old mobile (C975), 5 per
month with a 2 GB limit. download speed is a respectable 50+ kb/s.

You should look on eBay for some old 3G phones that have the software and
USB cable.

Old February 18th 08, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:
I notice an increasing range of these. Are there any short term (1 or 3
month
) contracts available, they all seem to be on 18/24 month contracts ?

I'm thinking in terms of using one to 'bridge the gap' while moving house
etc.

I saw an advert in Metro that implied 3 were now doing them on PAYG. 10
quid for 1GB (IIRC), then an eye-watering 1/Mbyte after that.

I'm using 3's 3G to surf the net now with my old mobile (C975), 5 per
month with a 2 GB limit. download speed is a respectable 50+ kb/s.

You should look on eBay for some old 3G phones that have the software and
USB cable.

Can someone tell me what te current speeds actually are? I have to write
a page of a website for someone to sell off a stall and do credit card
validation over a link like this: I would want to know how fast a data
rate we can expect.

Old February 18th 08, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

On 18 Feb, 10:03, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Can someone tell me what te current speeds actually are? I have to write
a page of a website for someone to sell off a stall and do credit card
validation over a link like this: I would want to know how fast a data
rate we can expect.

With the 3 Huawei E220 modem, and in an area showing 3.5G, I got a
maximum of 400kbps and an average of 300kbps. In a 3G / 3 bar area I
got about 40kbps.

Ian
Old February 18th 08, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:03:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Can someone tell me what te current speeds actually are? I have to write
a page of a website for someone to sell off a stall and do credit card
validation over a link like this: I would want to know how fast a data
rate we can expect.

Got 1.6Mbps from thinkbroadband.com and 1.8Mbps from speedtest.net on
Vodafone HSDPA dongle in laptop last week.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:16:10 up 9 days, 14:18, 2 users, load average: 1.19, 1.13, 1.09