ABSOLUTE BEGINER

Old February 17th 08, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
henry

Default ABSOLUTE BEGINER

hi everyone,
where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
up on my daughter's laptop.
I am also thinking of subscribing to the 3 mobile "broadband" modem
for her, so something that would work over that would be required.

thanks in anticipation . . .

henry
Old February 17th 08, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

henry wrote:
hi everyone,
where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
up on my daughter's laptop.

Windows Live Messenger or whatever its called today. Add a webcam and
you can wave to each other.
Old February 17th 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:29:06 GMT, henry
wrote:

hi everyone,
where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
up on my daughter's laptop.
I am also thinking of subscribing to the 3 mobile "broadband" modem
for her, so something that would work over that would be required.

thanks in anticipation . . .

henry

A good web site for information is
www.voip-info.org
As regards connecting voip ATA to WiFi, I guess you would need an
Ethernet bridge...but I'll let someone else, who knows more about that
then me, comment on that. An alternative would be to have a SIP WiFi
phone ( with the emphasis on SIP - NOT SKYPE!!!!!!!!). That would be
an easy option and they are not so expensive nowadays.
Certainly, if you have WiFi you are making a good choice by choosing
to use voip.
You can, of course, put a soft phone on you computer to faclitate
making/receiveing calls but this is not a very elegant way of going
about things.
Others will doubtless follow with perls of wisdom...

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old February 18th 08, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In article , Brian A
writes

A good web site for information is
www.voip-info.org
As regards connecting voip ATA to WiFi, I guess you would need an
Ethernet bridge...but I'll let someone else, who knows more about that

Is there no type of wireless ATA, I'm thinking of an ATA with antenna,
an ethernet port and phone ports; ethernet port so you can directly
connect a laptop for configuration purposes to ensure it has the
information it needs to connect to the right wireless network.

I guess it would need 2 IP addresses, one set by the DHCP on the wifi
network (or configurable) and one fixed 192.168.x.x to enable the laptop
to access it.

Would be very useful now that many hotels only offer wifi.

--
Kevin

Old February 18th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

[...]

I didn't read your posting too well. It looks as if you were looking
for a softphone solution.
If so there are two main softphones:
x-lite (http://www.download.com/X-Lite/3000-...-10547103.html)
and
SJphone (scroll down on this page http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html)
Both appear to work well in windows.
SJphone works best on Ubuntu Linux, it also works best, with a bit of
tweaking of the jitter and buffer settings, on Windows Mobile.

The free version of x-lite only has one line enabled. You can,
however, use the services of voxalot to permit a virtually unlimited
number of outgoing providers.
If you only want to use this to communicate between 2 people and
nothing else then you have the choice of various providers. You'll get
voicemail included so you'll be able to pick up messages when the
computer is not on.
However, I think it is best to be able to make outgoing calls to
landlines so that the caller from Gemany can call a standard phone.
The cheapest provider is probably vyke.co.uk. They do outgoing calls
only, but it is only 2p/call to anywhere in Europe. This why it is a
good idea to use voxalot as your provider, on the softphone, so you
can have an incoming number. By using voxalot you won't need to use a
computer to call the Germany based computer because there are SIP
access numbers in the UK. Call one of those and then the voxalot
number, preceded by *010 (Sipbroker access number) and you can call
for local call charge.
See vyke,co.uk, voxalot.com and sipbroker.com for further details.
..If you need more help please ask.

---
Old February 18th 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:34:21 +0000, kkm wrote:

Is there no type of wireless ATA, I'm thinking of an ATA with antenna,
an ethernet port and phone ports; ethernet port so you can directly
connect a laptop for configuration purposes to ensure it has the
information it needs to connect to the right wireless network.

There's no technical reason why it wouldn't work, but I haven't seen any
for sale. A VoIP router with wireless could probably be persuaded to do
it if it had sympathetic firmware.

I guess it would need 2 IP addresses, one set by the DHCP on the wifi
network (or configurable) and one fixed 192.168.x.x to enable the laptop
to access it.

Would be very useful now that many hotels only offer wifi.

You might find a handset with Wifi and a SIP client more convenient for
this.

One caveat [and it's a pretty big one] about both of the above is that if
the wireless access point uses some kind of captive portal that requires
you to log in to a web page before you can get on the internet, then
you're going to need a web browser either on the phone, or on a laptop
plugged into the wireless ATA. You would also need config access to the
ATA to set encryption settings as appropriate.

The other thing is, WiFi is half duplex and voice is full duplex, so be
prepared to moderate any expectations you might have about call quality.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:18:37 up 9 days, 20:21, 2 users, load average: 1.06, 1.11, 1.09
Old February 18th 08, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:34:21 GMT, wrote:

In article , Brian A
writes

A good web site for information is
www.voip-info.org
As regards connecting voip ATA to WiFi, I guess you would need an
Ethernet bridge...but I'll let someone else, who knows more about that

Is there no type of wireless ATA, I'm thinking of an ATA with antenna,
an ethernet port and phone ports; ethernet port so you can directly
connect a laptop for configuration purposes to ensure it has the
information it needs to connect to the right wireless network.

I guess it would need 2 IP addresses, one set by the DHCP on the wifi
network (or configurable) and one fixed 192.168.x.x to enable the laptop
to access it.

Would be very useful now that many hotels only offer wifi.

I am not aware of a wireless ATA. I think it would need a wireless
bridge, a comment I made earlier in this thread, though it is
something I have never tried. Linking an ATA to a wifi link is
something I am interested myself to try and is something I have
thought about. There are wifi phones available as an alternative to an
ATA.
Someone did comment once about the possibility of a Fritzbox operating
as a wireless ATA, but there is no documentation, that I can find,
that describes this and I am not aware of anyone, who frequents this
group, having actually having tried doing it. I would certainly be
interested to know of any set ups that link an ATA to wifi.

---
Old February 19th 08, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

henry wrote:
hi everyone,
where can I get the complete beginers guide? I don't want to know a
lot of technical background if I don't need to know it, but I am about
to go and work in Europe and looking at flats to rent, quite a lot
seem to come with wifi. I would like something simple so that I can
keep in regular touch with my teenage children, and easy/cheap to set
up on my daughter's laptop.
I am also thinking of subscribing to the 3 mobile "broadband" modem
for her, so something that would work over that would be required.

thanks in anticipation . . .

henry

Hi,

one of these:

http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...roducts_id=107

would allow you to connect an ATA or IP phone to a wireless network.
It'd be best used with a Linksys ATA or phone (as they are 5volts so you
can share one power supply between the two devices) but in theory should
work with any Ethernet device.

cheers,
Paul.

P.S. that product also available from other websites and shops
Old February 19th 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:55:19 +0000, Paul Hayes
wrote:

henry wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that info. Paul, I'd not seen this device before - very
interesting. Just Froogled it and it appears, as you say, to be
available from many others.

---
Old February 19th 08, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Sandford

"Paul Hayes" wrote in message
henry wrote:
[...]

Just to say I have two of the Linksys Wifi dongles and can confirm they are
an excellent product, doing "just what it says on the tin".

The only caveat I'd put in is that they are best suited to what I'd describe
as "fixed wifi" use, as they can't memorise the settings for more than one
network at a time. The software for changing settings is quite easy to use,
but it's still a bit of a palaver if you have to keep doing it as you move
from one location/wlan to another.

However it sounds as though what you want is relatively static (at least on
the scope of "a few days at a time on one wlan"), so they'd probably be
ideal at least for your end of the link.

--
Thomas Sandford