BB test results

Old February 18th 08, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eastender

Default BB test results

Average UK broadband speed under 3 Mb

Broadband users all over the UK have been testing their speeds and as a
result of the 18,558 tests carried out in January on broadband
comparison site Broadband-Expert.co.uk, the average speed in the UK is a
pitiful 2.95Mb.

The results varied enormously with the lowest download speed being
1.72Mb from Tiscali, through to the highest average of 6.07Mb with Be
broadband. Download speed describes the rate at which a computer
downloads information from the internet like emails, web pages, music
and video. The higher download speeds of Be, who also provide the
technology behind O2’s broadband service, is partially due to the ADSL2+
technology which allows much greater speeds to be achieved. Most
providers currently provide their broadband connections through the more
traditional ADSL technology.

“Despite ongoing pressure from Ofcom and various consumer groups
broadband providers are still misleading the public over broadband
speeds,” said William Harvey, Broadband-Expert.co.uk Technical Director.

“Current advertising campaigns like the one for Tiscali broadband
promise superfast broadband (download) speeds of up to 8Mb. Yet Tiscali
came bottom of our test results with an average actual download speed of
just 1.72Mb. Now that is not superfast by any stretch of the imagination
and is over 1Mb lower than the UK average.”

The average upload speed was clocked at 296Kbs or 0.296Mb. Upload speed
is the rate that data is transferred from a computer to the internet and
is very important for online gaming, uploading photos to sites like
Facebook sending large email attachments, and other activities which
transmit information back to the internet from a PC. Upload speeds
varied greatly between providers too with Be broadband achieving the
fastest average upload speeds of 850Kbs and Orange the slowest at
219Kbs.

“Broadband providers can confuse consumers by stating maximum broadband
speeds that are often only achieved by a very small percentage of
subscribers”.

“Providers should state the average download and upload speeds achieved
by their broadband subscribers, this would give consumers a better idea
of the sort of speeds they are likely to receive and would encourage
providers to deliver better broadband products”.

Each month Broadband-Expert.co.uk stores all of the results from the
tests and the results of the fastest speeds by providers vary
enormously. The highest recorded speed in January was 23.15Mb from a Be
broadband customer down to only 5.99Mb for the fastest Eclipse customer.

“Our recent results, in terms of speed, show that the providers with
ADSL2+ technology provide by far the highest speeds.”

For the results of the speed test follow the link and click on the
‘Speed Test Results’ tab towards the bottom of the page
http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/broadband/speedtest/

Old February 18th 08, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MeGgAhUrTz

"eastender" wrote in message
The highest recorded speed in January was 23.15Mb from a Be
broadband customer down

Is VM still the fastest in speed terms then??? ;0)

Cue Carl and Mark :0)))

Old February 18th 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"eastender" wrote in message
"Broadband providers can confuse consumers by stating maximum broadband
speeds that are often only achieved by a very small percentage of
subscribers".

You're another ****wit who doesn't understand *DSL technology. But worry
not, Gonz, Eeyore and 7 will be along soon to give you a group cuddle.

Old February 18th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MeGgAhUrTz

"Gizmo." wrote in message
You're another ****wit who doesn't understand *DSL technology. But worry
not, Gonz, Eeyore and 7 will be along soon to give you a group cuddle.

I do, it`s now been proven that VM aren`t the fastest in the Country...

Old February 18th 08, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eastender

"Gizmo." wrote:

You're another ****wit who doesn't understand *DSL technology. But worry
not, Gonz, Eeyore and 7 will be along soon to give you a group cuddle.

Hey , I just posted the release from Broadband-Expert.co.uk, so don't you
****wit me.

E.

Old February 18th 08, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

eastender wrote:
Broadband users all over the UK have been testing their speeds and as a
result of the 18,558 tests carried out in January on broadband
comparison site Broadband-Expert.co.uk, the average speed in the UK is a
pitiful 2.95Mb.

It's wonderful what you can do with statistics isn't it. Let me see.
Assuming (!) a fair spread of users, you'll have an equal ratio of users
in your sample to the subscriber base for each ISP. So if you have a
big ISP that provides poor download speeds you'll have a result that
shows this. (Maybe that's what you want. But it isn't specified.)

The results varied enormously with the lowest download speed being
1.72Mb from Tiscali, through to the highest average of 6.07Mb with Be
broadband.

Strange that I get around 6-7 with my ADSL (not ADSL2) EntaNet reseller
during the day, then...?

?Current advertising campaigns like the one for Tiscali broadband
promise superfast broadband (download) speeds of up to 8Mb. Yet Tiscali
came bottom of our test results with an average actual download speed of
just 1.72Mb.

Well, it is "up to". Most of us probably think it's misleading, but it's
not wrong.

The average upload speed was clocked at 296Kbs or 0.296Mb.

So perhaps the majority of the users in the sample were on the fixed
rate 2Mb/256Kb ADSL product rather than the MaxDSL "up to" 8Mb/448Kb
one. Did anyone check?

The highest recorded speed in January was 23.15Mb from a Be
broadband customer down to only 5.99Mb for the fastest Eclipse customer.

Uh, earlier on you said that, "The results varied enormously with the
lowest download speed being 1.72Mb from Tiscali". Which is it?

?Our recent results, in terms of speed, show that the providers with
ADSL2+ technology provide by far the highest speeds.?

Duh.

Chris
Old February 18th 08, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

eastender wrote:

"Gizmo." wrote:

You're another ****wit who doesn't understand *DSL technology. But worry
not, Gonz, Eeyore and 7 will be along soon to give you a group cuddle.

Hey , I just posted the release from Broadband-Expert.co.uk, so don't you
****wit me.

It seems you're unaware that that the 'slow' speeds seen by many (most?)
customers isn't a failing of the technology but a failure by the major ISPs to
invest in the required infrastructure that would enable these conenctions to
work faster.

In short, most ISPs' connections suffer serious congestion due to inadequate
capacity for the number of customers.

I've seen figures that suggest the 'average' UK ADSL connection should be able
to manage 5 Mbps (that's how fast the physical conenction can work).

Graham

Old February 18th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"Gizmo." wrote in message

"eastender" wrote in message
"Broadband providers can confuse consumers by stating maximum
broadband
speeds that are often only achieved by a very small percentage of
subscribers".

You're another ****wit who doesn't understand *DSL technology. But
worry not, Gonz, Eeyore and 7 will be along soon to give you a group
cuddle.

If you want a cuddle Gizmo, you've only got to ask.

Old February 18th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"MeGgAhUrTz" wrote in message

"eastender" wrote in message
The highest recorded speed in January was 23.15Mb from a Be
broadband customer down

Is VM still the fastest in speed terms then??? ;0)

Cue Carl and Mark :0)))

Woo Hoo!
Don't know why I'm so excited for, everybody already knows BE are the
fastest anyway!

)

Old February 18th 08, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

MeGgAhUrTz wrote:

"eastender" wrote in message
The highest recorded speed in January was 23.15Mb from a Be
broadband customer down

Is VM still the fastest in speed terms then??? ;0)

Cue Carl and Mark :0)))

I would guess on average VM are still the fastest.

I recently tried them out and rejected them. I got an average of ~10
Mb/s which was pretty good for an average. The problem was that it was
20 Mb/s during the day and down as low as 1Mb/s in the evening.

So on average the VM XL product is still probably the fastest. My
problem is that I wanted consistency not average.