Virgin Media - sell customers out.

Old February 18th 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

Default Virgin Media - sell customers out.

Virgin Media have agreed to give Phorm access to customers browsing
records, letting it track a web user's every move.

Customers can opt out of the new system when it is introduced next
month. But they will be encouraged to stay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/te.../18target.html

My Aunty Hildred is really annoyed about this, and she's only bin with
Virgin Media for over a month.
I told her, you shud have listened to Gonz!
Anyway...
I think OPT IN shud be the option, but it means they get less money.

Old February 18th 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message
Virgin Media have agreed to give Phorm access to customers browsing
records, letting it track a web user's every move.

Customers can opt out of the new system when it is introduced next
month. But they will be encouraged to stay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/te.../18target.html

My Aunty Hildred is really annoyed about this, and she's only bin with
Virgin Media for over a month.
I told her, you shud have listened to Gonz!
Anyway...
I think OPT IN shud be the option, but it means they get less money.

I've bin havin a read about this on Phorms site.
What it means is that they will effectively be censoring your browsing,
and replacing normal ads with ones that both Phorm and Virgin Media
*want* you to see.

I think the part where they are really goin to fall foul of is that it
is an *opt out* only thing.

They will be hidin behind the fact that they will know you are browsing
a suspected fraudulent website, by telling you when you click on one.
They seem to think that this will make people accept this more easier,
when infact it just shows how intrusive this whole thing really is, and
that you are automatically part of it if you are a Virgin Media
customer.

http://www.phorm.com/about/faq.php?_faqs=4,5#webwise

Old February 18th 08, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:05:37 -0000, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o
m wrote:

Virgin Media have agreed to give Phorm access to customers browsing
records, letting it track a web user's every move.

Customers can opt out of the new system when it is introduced next
month. But they will be encouraged to stay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/te.../18target.html

My Aunty Hildred is really annoyed about this, and she's only bin with
Virgin Media for over a month.
I told her, you shud have listened to Gonz!
Anyway...
I think OPT IN shud be the option, but it means they get less money.

Will this not come into direct conflict with data protection are they
allowed to give out a customers details without asking first ?.
Old February 19th 08, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

m wrote:

Virgin Media have agreed to give Phorm access to customers browsing
records, letting it track a web user's every move.

Customers can opt out of the new system when it is introduced next
month. But they will be encouraged to stay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/te.../18target.html

My Aunty Hildred is really annoyed about this, and she's only bin with
Virgin Media for over a month.
I told her, you shud have listened to Gonz!
Anyway...
I think OPT IN shud be the option, but it means they get less money.

Will this not come into direct conflict with data protection are they
allowed to give out a customers details without asking first ?.

Probably.

I've been reading a long and irate thread on the private v.feedback
group. It looks very much as though vm's support don't know how it all
works, and have no information to give. Which may be true; or they may
just be keeping their cards close to their corporate chest, and hoping
no-one notices.

AFAICT the 'opt out' requires a cookie to be kept on /every/ opted-out
machine/user combo. Unacceptable, if so, IMO.

More worrying is that a US-based company will get to scan our web
traffic. Which may expose phone numbers, bank account numbers, (even
passwords to non-critical non-encrypted sites - they do exist :-( ).
The "US" bit I would assume means any of our own privacy laws go out of
the window anyway. Oh, and should Uncle Sam not like what you're looking
at, I don't suppose extradition proceedings would take long.........

--
Mike Scott (unet at scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Old February 19th 08, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

m wrote:

Virgin Media have agreed to give Phorm access to customers browsing
records, letting it track a web user's every move.

Customers can opt out of the new system when it is introduced next
month. But they will be encouraged to stay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/te.../18target.html

My Aunty Hildred is really annoyed about this, and she's only bin with
Virgin Media for over a month.
I told her, you shud have listened to Gonz!
Anyway...
I think OPT IN shud be the option, but it means they get less money.

Will this not come into direct conflict with data protection are they
allowed to give out a customers details without asking first ?.

I forgot to add, the so-called "opt-out" apparently just means you don't
get the targeted ads. It appears AIUI that they scan your web traffic
whether or not. Anyone have information to the contrary??

Old February 19th 08, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:14:33 GMT, Mike Scott
wrote:

I forgot to add, the so-called "opt-out" apparently just means you don't
get the targeted ads. It appears AIUI that they scan your web traffic
whether or not. Anyone have information to the contrary??

Before they start giving customers credentials away they want to learn
how to maintain the service 24 hrs 7 days a week that is what we pay
for . Our modem has been totally dead for the last two hours
with only the power light led on and no mention on the status page
about any problems around here perhaps they will get around to fixing
it by Easter time with a bit of luck .
I flatly refuse to talk to India at 25p a minute I am not in the least
bothered I have an ADSL connection with a DECENT ISP but VM
will certainly will not be paid .
Old February 21st 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

"Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message
Virgin Media have agreed to give Phorm access to customers browsing
records, letting it track a web user's every move.

Customers can opt out of the new system when it is introduced next
month. But they will be encouraged to stay.

if you are that upset, write a script to go to random DNS addresses and pull
HTTP traffic - if you are really upset publish the code and let 1000's of
users run it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/te.../18target.html

My Aunty Hildred is really annoyed about this, and she's only bin with
Virgin Media for over a month.
I told her, you shud have listened to Gonz!
Anyway...
I think OPT IN shud be the option, but it means they get less money.

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old February 22nd 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Already been done: http://www.jwz.org/webcollage/

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:39:26 up 13 days, 11:42, 2 users, load average: 1.07, 1.11, 1.05
Old February 23rd 08, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

stephen wrote:
"Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message
Virgin Media have agreed to give Phorm access to customers browsing
records, letting it track a web user's every move.

Customers can opt out of the new system when it is introduced next
month. But they will be encouraged to stay.

if you are that upset, write a script to go to random DNS addresses and pull
HTTP traffic - if you are really upset publish the code and let 1000's of
users run it.

And just to add to this it seems that BT, Talktalk and possibly AOL have
also 'sold out'.