Line Speed

Old February 18th 08, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

Default Line Speed

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.

i am currently using pipex as my ISP. I have checked their web site and it
informs me that i can not have a connection faster than the pitiful 1mb i am
already on.

yet, when i look at competitor sites they all come up as me being ok to have
upto 8mb ?

o reply by email please remove NOSPAM from my address.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

kev

Old February 18th 08, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Kevin Cole" wrote in message
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.

i am currently using pipex as my ISP. I have checked their web site and
it informs me that i can not have a connection faster than the pitiful 1mb
i am already on.

yet, when i look at competitor sites they all come up as me being ok to
have upto 8mb ?

o reply by email please remove NOSPAM from my address.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

kev

Repeat after me, slowly, and remember... The phrase "up to" clearly
includes the number zero.

After you've assimilated that, the next thing to get on board is that most
ISPs are offering exactly the same.

Only when you've done a check of your particular line will you know what
speed it is capable of (which is probably the 1Mb you're already getting).

I'm also on an "up to 8 Mb" product too but as I live out in the sticks, I
can only get about 2Mb.

Ye canna change the laws o' physics...

George

Old February 19th 08, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

George Weston wrote:
"Kevin Cole" wrote in message
[...]

Einstein did!

This site should give you a more realistic idea of your line's potential
speed.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Peter Crosland

Old February 19th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Kevin Cole wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.

i am currently using pipex as my ISP. I have checked their web site and it
informs me that i can not have a connection faster than the pitiful 1mb i am
already on.

yet, when i look at competitor sites they all come up as me being ok to have
upto 8mb ?

o reply by email please remove NOSPAM from my address.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

kev

Without line stats (attenuation, noise/snr), anything up to 8Mb/s. With
those figures (from your router) someone will give you a better idea.

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old February 19th 08, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:21:37 -0000, "George Weston"
wrote:

Ye canna change the laws o' physics...

Except Poopex have a magical ability to slow down time when
downloading anything. The change in performance when moving to a real
ISP is simply amazing.

Old February 20th 08, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

"PeeGee" wrote in message
Kevin Cole wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.

i am currently using pipex as my ISP. I have checked their web site and
it informs me that i can not have a connection faster than the pitiful
1mb i am already on.

yet, when i look at competitor sites they all come up as me being ok to
have upto 8mb ?

o reply by email please remove NOSPAM from my address.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

kev

Without line stats (attenuation, noise/snr), anything up to 8Mb/s. With
those figures (from your router) someone will give you a better idea.

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
knowledge or consent of the computer user. Software should also be able to
be removed from a computer easily."

Is this of any help then ?

ADSL Status

ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 5.00.04.00 - 5.00.03.00 - 5.00.03.00 Annex A -
01.07.2b - 0.52
ADSL Software Version: V3.00B01T02.UK-A.20060208
Line State Connected
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 6 13 dB
Line Attenuation 59 31 dB
Data Rate 2784 448 kbps

Old February 20th 08, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Is this of any help then ?

ADSL Status

ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 5.00.04.00 - 5.00.03.00 - 5.00.03.00 Annex A -
01.07.2b - 0.52
ADSL Software Version: V3.00B01T02.UK-A.20060208
Line State Connected
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 6 13 dB
Line Attenuation 59 31 dB
Data Rate 2784 448 kbps

You must be throttled at the ISP end. Your stats state you have a 2.7Mb/s
connection with the exchange. The SNR margin is 6db which is the desired
target so it aint gonna go faster than 2.7Mb/s

I suggest you run away from Pipex.

Old February 20th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

WCZ wrote:
(quoting someone)
Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 6 13 dB
Line Attenuation 59 31 dB
Data Rate 2784 448 kbps

You must be throttled at the ISP end.

Not a valid conclusion surely? This could simply be the max his line can
take.

Your stats state you have a 2.7Mb/s
connection with the exchange. The SNR margin is 6db which is the desired
target so it aint gonna go faster than 2.7Mb/s

I suggest you run away from Pipex.

Another ISP may be no better mind you.
Old February 20th 08, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Kevin Cole wrote:

Is this of any help then ?

ADSL Status

ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 5.00.04.00 - 5.00.03.00 - 5.00.03.00 Annex A -
01.07.2b - 0.52
ADSL Software Version: V3.00B01T02.UK-A.20060208
Line State Connected
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 6 13 dB
Line Attenuation 59 31 dB
Data Rate 2784 448 kbps

As WCZ said, you are actually on (the max for your line of) 2.7Mb/s,
though a different router/modem could improve slightly, but probably not
cost effectively, on that.

You originally said you were on 1Mb/s. Is that based on download speeds
or the PIPEX estimate? For your connection, you should be able to get
around 250KB/s on downloads from a decent site unless you are throttled
(I get over 200KB/s reported on a 2Mb/s nominal line with similar
characteristics to yours).

Old February 20th 08, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

"PeeGee" wrote in message
Kevin Cole wrote:

[...]

Thanks all for your suggestions.

i have since spoken to pipex this afternoon.

they have confirmed that i am on a 1mb connection and asked me to run
speedtest from bt.com site.

they also suggested resetting my router to see if it re-connects at the same
speed. this i have done.

the results are below:

ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 5.00.04.00 - 5.00.03.00 - 5.00.03.00 Annex A -
01.07.2b - 0.52
ADSL Software Version: V3.00B01T02.UK-A.20060208
Line State Connected
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 6 13 dB
Line Attenuation 59 31 dB
Data Rate 3008 448 kbps

The data rate has increased ? ? Any suggestions ? ?

pipex said that my router could be knackered ? ?

thanks, kev