Wiring all my phone sockets to use with VOIP

Old February 18th 08, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Wiring all my phone sockets to use with VOIP

I'm about to get Virgin Media broadband via cable and am thinking of
getting rid of my BT line and using VOIP via Draytel.

1. Will I be able to connect Draytel's Vigortalk adaptor in such a way
that all the standard phone extentions in my house will be able to
make and receive calls via Draytel or will I only be able to connect
one phone to it (or maybe a cordless base unit with two or three
handsets)?

2. Will I be able to connect the Vigortalk adaptor to my cable modem
or will I need a router as well? I've not got the modem yet so I don't
know what sockets are on it.

Thanks
Old February 18th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:25:37 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I'm about to get Virgin Media broadband via cable and am thinking of
getting rid of my BT line and using VOIP via Draytel.

1. Will I be able to connect Draytel's Vigortalk adaptor in such a way
that all the standard phone extentions in my house will be able to
make and receive calls via Draytel or will I only be able to connect
one phone to it (or maybe a cordless base unit with two or three
handsets)?

The easiest way is to use a cordless. It solves a lot of problems. You
are certainly not limited to using just one phone. Whether you can use
the existing wiring depends on how your system has been wired. If you
are fortunate enough to have one of the larger, more modern, master
sockets (pictured he
http://www.bttorj45.com/BTsocketmasterNTE5.html) it could be just a
case of unscrewing the front and then pulling the front part from the
back part. That isolates your house wiring from the BT line. You could
then, potentially, connect the front part into a line to your ATA. It
will look a bit messy so you'll probably want ot put a platsic box
over it. However, you might not be so lucky in regard to how your
wiring is configured.
I got a set of 4, BT branded, cordless phones from Amazon for about
40 - it is hardly worth the trouble of messing with the wiring if it
isn't a newer master socket.

2. Will I be able to connect the Vigortalk adaptor to my cable modem
or will I need a router as well? I've not got the modem yet so I don't
know what sockets are on it.

The Vigortalk, afaik, has only 3 connections to it:-
1. Power.
2. Handset.
3. Ethernet.
There is no ethernet connection to feed your computer.
In practice, you will need a router connected to the cable modem and
then plug your vigortalk and computer into that. When you get a router
it is prefarable to get one that has 'QoS' (Quality of Service) on it.
This ensures that phone calls are given priority over computer demands
of your internet link.
Cable will give you a choice of 2 modems. One has only USB - you
DEFINITELY don't want that. Make sure you ask for one with an ethernet
connection.
---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old February 18th 08, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for excellent response.

Phone socket is the type you describe so sounds like I should be able
to set it up.

According to Virgin's paperwork the cable modem they supply only has
an ethernet connector as they say your computer must have a network
card.

Sounds like I need a router, maybe I will go for Sipgate who do a 60
device that acts as a telephone adaptor and also contains a router.
They also offer SMS notification of voicemail which I like the sound
of

Thanks again
Old February 18th 08, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:
[...]

You could be making a mistake there. Don't go for a LOCKED device as
you will be tied to that company for all your calls at THEIR prices
and if you decide to move your locked device will only be of use as a
papeweight. If you haven't yet bought your ATA then I would recommend
a linksys SPA-3102. You MAY be able to use that without needing a
router but I can't gurantee that. It is, in my view, the best of the
ATAs as it allows for up to 4 different outgoing providers of YOUR
choice and one incoming provider (of which an outgoing one is the same
provider). As I say, you may still need a router but, even so, you
will have a really good ATA. Some may recommend a Fritzbox, personally
I wouldn't, I would go for a router if you need it with a SPA-3102.
I'd get that first, get the phone part working and see if you can use
it with your computer as well. Of course, if you need to connect more
than one computer then get a router too. Whatever you buy make sure it
is not LOCKED unless it is really cheap and you particularly like the
tariff. Alternatively, go for a NEW, not EBAY, PAP2 and use the
services of Voxalot, but you'll definitely need a router then.

---
Old February 19th 08, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

wrote:
[...]

The 3102 is a router. It will do NAT and DHCP for you. However it only
has one ethernet LAN socket (in addition to the WAN ethernet socket) so
you will need a switch too if you want to connect multiple computers.

The other thing to watch is wan to lan throughput. The 3102 tops out at
about 7.5Mb/s slower than VM XL's 20Mb/s account and slower than soon to
be 10Mb/s of the L account.

I wouldn't like to say how it would handle a lot of connections from P2P.

---

Old February 19th 08, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al

"Nick" wrote in message
I'm about to get Virgin Media broadband via cable and am thinking of
getting rid of my BT line and using VOIP via Draytel.

1. Will I be able to connect Draytel's Vigortalk adaptor in such a way
that all the standard phone extentions in my house will be able to
make and receive calls via Draytel or will I only be able to connect
one phone to it (or maybe a cordless base unit with two or three
handsets)?

2. Will I be able to connect the Vigortalk adaptor to my cable modem
or will I need a router as well? I've not got the modem yet so I don't
know what sockets are on it.

Thanks

I believe the Vigortalk plugs into a router which is not supplied by VM.
Presumably you are getting an ethernet modem from VM which you will also
connect to your router.

However I would test how your VM connection performs before making any
decisions. A lot of people on VM appear to be suffering very heavy
congestion in the evenings which can degrade VOIP performance.

At the moment VM seem to be pushing a VM telephone line with broadband as
part of a bundle I would definitely get that as a backup to the VOIP
connection.

I have to report as I find.
I have used VoIP on my VM connection for over 2 years with Draytel and have
had no issues at all.
Even on the odd occasion that the rest of the service is a bit suspect the
VoIP has gone through a dream
Been using a 2100VG with QoS after 1st using a Draytel box.
Took the plunge and ditched the VM landlines a year ago.
No adverse effects

Al

Old February 19th 08, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

Al wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

I was only on the 30 day trial so I had to make a judgement based on
limited information. The VOIP decision was a touch subjective. It is
hard to always attribute problems accurately. I had a few calls break up
on VM where as I hadn't seen that happen on Zen.

AIUI VM customers do appear to be experiencing different levels of
congestion. It is possible that my area was problematic. I would
certainly see tests from
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
drop to 1Mb/s on a 20 Mb/s line. Do you see this kind of slow down in
the evening?

I was also seeing worse results 3.7 ish on
http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/ for VM than I did for Zen 4+.

In the end I felt being tied in for a year to a system that was of
questionable quality was too much of a risk. It might have been that I
would have been ok too.
Old February 20th 08, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart

Al wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

I also use VM (2MB) with the Vigortalk adaptor attached to my router
(Linksys WRT54GS) which is in turn attached to my VM cable modem (the
latter having a single ethernet port). I use a cordless DECT phone, and
it works fine.

I have recently enabled QoS on the router (giving the Vigortalk adaptor
the highest priority) and I do find it makes a difference to call
quality when - for example - I am on the phone and receiving large
emails at the same time. If you are thinking about a new router, buying
a router with QoS may be a consideration.

I have also ditched my VM landline with no adverse effects.

Stuart
Old February 20th 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Stuart" wrote in message
Al wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

My experience concurs with the above comments in relation to voip over VM
cable broadband (I have no experience of the ATA /routers you use so cannot
comment on these). I also found voip to still work fine on a 2MB
connection, even when video streaming did not work properly. The QoS is
important for your own network, but I came to the conclusion that the QoS
tags were also used by VM to prioritise traffic even under heavy load on my
UBR (cable equivalent of a DSLAM - the access point at your local exchange).
Cannot be sure of this, but that's certainly how it seemed to me.

My one reason for having a landline is 999 calls after my voip provider
(voip.co.uk) had issues routing such a call once (all but one mobile in the
household also failed to work!). Otherwise I have no need of my landline,
nor do I use it. Just make sure you know how you'll handle 999 calls, and
make sure everyone is aware of any special instructions.

Do not give up the landline straight away - I would recommend keeping it for
a month while you bed the voip in and be sure you are ready to switch.

Good luck!