Modem - VoIP line - modem?

Old February 18th 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pacman

Default Modem - VoIP line - modem?

Maybe its a basic question. But I am trying to find out:

Is it possible to dial in using a modem to another Computer behind an "VoIP
only" connection?

Szenario: home user with an internet contract that provides DSL. The phone
line bundled with the contract is established as VoIP. So no "real" land
line phone.

Is it now possible to create a classic dial in to a server?

Extension: would it be possible to do a classic modem-modem call back as
well?

(all this at low cost - no cisco routers or something)

I found some words like modem relay but I am not sure to be on the right
track.

Old February 19th 08, 06:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Pacman" wrote in message

: : Maybe its a basic question. But I am trying to find out:
: :
: : Is it possible to dial in using a modem to another
: : Computer behind an "VoIP only" connection?
: :
: : Szenario: home user with an internet contract that
: : provides DSL. The phone line bundled with the contract
: : is established as VoIP. So no "real" land line phone.

Not possible. You have to have a landline in order to get DSL.

Ivor

Old February 19th 08, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones formulated the question :

"Pacman" wrote in message

: : Maybe its a basic question. But I am trying to find out:

: : Is it possible to dial in using a modem to another
: : Computer behind an "VoIP only" connection?

: : Szenario: home user with an internet contract that
: : provides DSL. The phone line bundled with the contract
: : is established as VoIP. So no "real" land line phone.

Not possible. You have to have a landline in order to get DSL.

Not true for everywhere.

Nor is it necessarily completely true in this country - you can
certainly have ADSL on a line that is provisioned with OCB & ICB.

Old February 19th 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Pacman" wrote in message

: : Maybe its a basic question. But I am trying to find out:
: :
: : Is it possible to dial in using a modem to another
: : Computer behind an "VoIP only" connection?
: :
: : Szenario: home user with an internet contract that
: : provides DSL. The phone line bundled with the contract
: : is established as VoIP. So no "real" land line phone.

Not possible. You have to have a landline in order to get DSL.

Ivor

I think he is just asking if VoIP can let him use a POTS modem for end-end
communications..
From what I know of VoIP the answer is no, but I am sure something he wants
does exist (just see no reason why he would want it)

Old February 19th 08, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Pacman wrote:
Maybe its a basic question. But I am trying to find out:

Is it possible to dial in using a modem to another Computer behind an "VoIP
only" connection?

Szenario: home user with an internet contract that provides DSL. The phone
line bundled with the contract is established as VoIP. So no "real" land
line phone.

Is it now possible to create a classic dial in to a server?

Extension: would it be possible to do a classic modem-modem call back as
well?

(all this at low cost - no cisco routers or something)

I found some words like modem relay but I am not sure to be on the right
track.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but why on earth would you want to attempt
a modem connection using VoIP when the VoIP is already going to be on a
broadband connection anyway?

Anyway, the answer is you might be able to get a *very* slow modem
connection working (14.4kbps at the most using normal g711 codecs) but
even then it's likely to be unreliable. You'd also need to buy an ATA
to connect the modem to if you don't already have one, although perhaps
you already have a router with an ATA built-in since you've got VoIP
with your Internet connection already.

cheers,
Paul.
Old February 19th 08, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Paul Hayes wrote:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but why on earth would you want to attempt
a modem connection using VoIP when the VoIP is already going to be on a
broadband connection anyway?

When you want to connect to a server that isn't on the Internet. Like
dialling into a remote datalogger, a burglar alarm or something.

Anyway, the answer is you might be able to get a *very* slow modem
connection working (14.4kbps at the most using normal g711 codecs) but
even then it's likely to be unreliable. You'd also need to buy an ATA
to connect the modem to if you don't already have one, although perhaps
you already have a router with an ATA built-in since you've got VoIP
with your Internet connection already.

Would T38 fax support be any help here? Does it do anything special
regarding faxes, or is it just a way of reliably sending 9600 or 14400 bps
traffic over VOIP?

Theo
Old February 19th 08, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Pacman wrote:
Maybe its a basic question. But I am trying to find out:

Is it possible to dial in using a modem to another Computer behind an "VoIP
only" connection?

Szenario: home user with an internet contract that provides DSL. The phone
line bundled with the contract is established as VoIP. So no "real" land
line phone.

Is it now possible to create a classic dial in to a server?

Extension: would it be possible to do a classic modem-modem call back as
well?

(all this at low cost - no cisco routers or something)

I found some words like modem relay but I am not sure to be on the right
track.

Setting aside what you think is the solution to your problem, what is it
you are actually trying to achieve?
Old February 19th 08, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pacman

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but why on earth would you want to attempt
a modem connection using VoIP when the VoIP is already going to be on a
broadband connection anyway?

Some more detail about the szenario:

yes, it is a DSL without land line (Germany).

plan is to connect a remote place to the internet. the remote place can not
have dsl. so the only way is to connect via analog or isdn. being online
would cause online minutes to be paid.

so the thought is to diel from the remote computer (modem) to a location
where dsl is available. get a recall triggered and connect from the
dsl-location to the remote place. (the dsl-location has a telephone flat
contract so no pay per minute needed)
then the dsl-place acts as an ISP routeng web traffic.

maybe that is a slow connection. would not be that bad - main thing is being
online for free. would using isdn change anything?

Old February 19th 08, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Theo Markettos wrote:
Would T38 fax support be any help here? Does it do anything special
regarding faxes, or is it just a way of reliably sending 9600 or 14400 bps
traffic over VOIP?

Fax specific.

Tim
Old February 19th 08, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Desk Rabbit wrote:
Setting aside what you think is the solution to your problem, what is it
you are actually trying to achieve?

He's trying to be his own ISP to somewhere that can't have DSL.

Tim