New to ADSL MAX - should I leave my router switched on?

Old February 19th 08, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Default New to ADSL MAX - should I leave my router switched on?

I've just switched to a MAX product and was wondering if it was better to
leave the router switched on all the time now? I normally switch it off
when its not required but I don't really know if this will cause problems
with MAX as the exchange will think the line drops once a day.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Cheers.

WCZ.

Old February 19th 08, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

WCZ wrote:
I've just switched to a MAX product and was wondering if it was better to
leave the router switched on all the time now? I normally switch it off
when its not required but I don't really know if this will cause problems
with MAX as the exchange will think the line drops once a day.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Cheers.

WCZ.

Leave it on permanently always, unless it has synched at a speed that is
obviously due to a major line fault, which has cleared.

Once it arrives at a speed where it no longer loses connections, the
remote kit will set the BRAS to a bit below that level, and that will
become your real line speed.
Old February 19th 08, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:12:44 -0000, "WCZ"
wrote:

I've just switched to a MAX product and was wondering if it was better to
leave the router switched on all the time now? I normally switch it off
when its not required but I don't really know if this will cause problems
with MAX as the exchange will think the line drops once a day.

Can anyone offer any advice?

You are okay to switch it off if you want to. It wouldn't create a
problem.

Your ip profile is determined by the level at which the adsl syncs
after a line drop (or when you switch the router on) so you might see
a bit more variation in speed because you are synching more often than
leaving it on but it should remain pretty much the same.

The problem with leaving it on constantly is that at some point in
time it will resync at a lower level due to an unusual temporary
increase in line noise and it will remain at that lower level until
you reboot even though the line noise goes away after a short period
of time. On rebooting after such an event, it can take a few days to
return your profile to the correct level. The time taken will be
determined by the percentage difference in sync rates. Big percentages
get dealt with as a priority whereas small percentages can take a few
days.

Jim.

Old February 19th 08, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:36:04 +0000, James Egan
wrote:

You are okay to switch it off if you want to. It wouldn't create a
problem.

Everything gets switched of here when not in use and plugs pulled out
at bedtime better to be safe than sorry plus a saving in electricity
is achieved also by completely switching of appliances instead of
leaving them on standby .
Old February 19th 08, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al Paca

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:43:33 GMT, wrote:

Everything gets switched of here when not in use and plugs pulled out

Irrelevant tosh! As usual Ron.

Old February 19th 08, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:12:44 +0000, WCZ wrote:

I've just switched to a MAX product and was wondering if it was
better to leave the router switched on all the time now?

I sought an answer to that when I started using ADSLMAx back in
July. The consensus seemed to be that - for the 1st 10 days -
it's best to leave it on all the time (as the exchange mechanism
will be deciding what the best connect speed should be).

After that, no problem switching it off e.g. overnight, but
avoid switching it off/on at short intervals, in case the
exchange misinterprets that as e.g. a dropout caused by too high
a connect speed.

--
/\/\aurice

Old February 19th 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KeeWee

wrote:

Everything gets switched of here when not in use and plugs pulled out
at bedtime better to be safe than sorry

WTF are you on about? Safe than sorry about what?

Old February 19th 08, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"KeeWee" wrote in message

: : wrote in message
: : ...
: : : On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:36:04 +0000, James Egan
: : : wrote:
: : :
: : :
: :
: : : Everything gets switched of here when not in use and
: : : plugs pulled out at bedtime better to be safe than
: : : sorry
: :
: :
: : WTF are you on about? Safe than sorry about what?

Wish someone would unplug Ron permanently..!

IVor