RIP privacy - it was good knowing you

Old February 19th 08, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Default RIP privacy - it was good knowing you

Just in case anybody out there was still under the misapprehension that
there's any privacy left on the internet, have a look at this:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/...iness/AD18.php

Surely this kind of stunt isn't even legal? Isn't modifying someone
else's web page before delivering it to the client a breach of the
author's copyright?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:01:59 up 10 days, 17:04, 2 users, load average: 1.22, 1.17, 1.17
Old February 19th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

alexd wrote:
Just in case anybody out there was still under the misapprehension
that there's any privacy left on the internet, have a look at this:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/...iness/AD18.php

Surely this kind of stunt isn't even legal? Isn't modifying someone
else's web page before delivering it to the client a breach of the
author's copyright?

Yes, but that's not what this is about. Best I can tell, all this does is
target you with /specific/ ads rather than just generic ones. In other
words, you will still /see/ adverts on any given site, they'll just be -
supposedly - more about stuff you might want to buy.

However, this has only just been announced and, as such, anything you read
about it is simple speculation until contracts are signed and details
released.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old February 19th 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KeeWee

"Carl Waring" wrote in message
Yes, but that's not what this is about. Best I can tell, all this does is
target you with /specific/ ads rather than just generic ones. In other
words, you will still /see/ adverts on any given site, they'll just be -
supposedly - more about stuff you might want to buy.

However, this has only just been announced and, as such, anything you read
about it is simple speculation until contracts are signed and details
released.

--

They wont be targetting me with any ads, I block the lot of them....

Old February 19th 08, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Trolley

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:31:14 +0000, Carl Waring wrote:

alexd wrote:
Just in case anybody out there was still under the misapprehension that
there's any privacy left on the internet, have a look at this:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/...iness/AD18.php

Surely this kind of stunt isn't even legal? Isn't modifying someone
else's web page before delivering it to the client a breach of the
author's copyright?

Yes, but that's not what this is about. Best I can tell, all this does
is target you with /specific/ ads rather than just generic ones. In
other words, you will still /see/ adverts on any given site, they'll
just be - supposedly - more about stuff you might want to buy.

However, this has only just been announced and, as such, anything you
read about it is simple speculation until contracts are signed and
details released.

I'm sure this is nothing that a well set-up hosts file cannot deal with.
Old February 19th 08, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

KeeWee wrote:
"Carl Waring" wrote in message
Yes, but that's not what this is about. Best I can tell, all this does is
target you with /specific/ ads rather than just generic ones. In other
words, you will still /see/ adverts on any given site, they'll just be -
supposedly - more about stuff you might want to buy.

However, this has only just been announced and, as such, anything you read
about it is simple speculation until contracts are signed and details
released.

--

They wont be targetting me with any ads, I block the lot of them....

MMm. keep a bit quiet on that one. So do I. One 'quite sponsored' site I
use a lot, is now entirely devoid of adverts on my browser.

If enough people do it, bye bye free internet sites of any value. ;-)

Its teh same with us when watching commercial TV. Not only do we use the
breaks to make coffee, we have a rule never to buy anything that is
advertised, on the grounds that it must be *WELL* overpriced to pay for
the sort of adverts they put on TV..

Old February 19th 08, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kit

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

Its teh same with us when watching commercial TV. Not only do we use the
breaks to make coffee, we have a rule never to buy anything that is
advertised, on the grounds that it must be *WELL* overpriced to pay for
the sort of adverts they put on TV..

So if you're making coffee and not watching the ads, how do you know
which products are advertised and so which not to buy?
:-)

Kit
Old February 19th 08, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Kit" wrote in message

: : In article , The
: : Natural Philosopher wrote:
: :
: : : Its teh same with us when watching commercial TV. Not
: : : only do we use the breaks to make coffee, we have a
: : : rule never to buy anything that is advertised, on the
: : : grounds that it must be *WELL* overpriced to pay for
: : : the sort of adverts they put on TV..
: :
: : So if you're making coffee and not watching the ads,
: : how do you know which products are advertised and so
: : which not to buy? :-)
: :
: : Kit

Call me old fashioned if you like, but I buy what I need at the time, not
what someone else tells me I want.

Ivor

Old February 20th 08, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Kit wrote:
In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

Its teh same with us when watching commercial TV. Not only do we use the
breaks to make coffee, we have a rule never to buy anything that is
advertised, on the grounds that it must be *WELL* overpriced to pay for
the sort of adverts they put on TV..

So if you're making coffee and not watching the ads, how do you know
which products are advertised and so which not to buy?
:-)

That's the advantage of living with a partner...one makes coffee, the
other keeps score..

Kit

Old February 20th 08, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

From that article:

"Customers of BT, Carphone Warehouse and Virgin Media could to opt out of
the new system when it gets under way next month. "

In any event I bet that Adblock Plus in Firefox could delete those adverts
before you see them.

Lots hope that these adverts do not count towards your monthly bandwidth
allowance, given that most folks won't want them or pay for them as part of
their "fair usage" allowance.

You always have a choice to move providers to someone who values your
custom, privacy and other folks copywrite.

Kind Regards

Simon

Old February 20th 08, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Simon Zerafa wrote:
Hi,

From that article:

"Customers of BT, Carphone Warehouse and Virgin Media could to opt out of
the new system when it gets under way next month. "

In any event I bet that Adblock Plus in Firefox could delete those adverts
before you see them.

No doubt. I block most ads anyway. But it won't address the privacy
aspect. Will "opting out" stop one's web traffic being scanned by a
spying company? I wouldn't think so for one moment - not that vm's
"support" people seem to half half a clue anyway.

You always have a choice to move providers to someone who values your
custom, privacy and other folks copywrite.

Moving in fact is non-trivial. Like many of vm's customers, our phone
and cable bb are bundled, so switching bb provider pretty much means a
change of phone number too; at best tedious. Not to mention the aggro of
trying to ensure continuity of service when switching from cable to adsl
when there's not even a BT line currently installed.

But if they push long and hard enough....

--
Mike Scott (unet at scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England