VPN help

Old February 21st 08, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eastender

Default VPN help

I'm trying to get my wife's laptop to work with her work VPN at home.

The VPN is a Cisco UPN IPSEC protocol. So far not able to connect
through a Netgear RP614 wired router connected to cable modem and then
to Virgin (ex Blueyonder).

However, in my office it works fine connected to BT ADSL via a Netgear
DG834G modem/router - didn't need to change any settings.

Her IT helpdesk suggested looking at 'UPN 500 and 1001' - are these
ports? The RP614 has limited settings options but it does support VPNs.

Any way to troubleshoot this much appreciated.

E.

Old February 21st 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:17:43 +0000, eastender wrote:

I'm trying to get my wife's laptop to work with her work VPN at home.

The VPN is a Cisco UPN IPSEC protocol.

Are you using the Cisco VPN Client in Windows? Or are you attempting to
set up a site-to-site IPsec VPN [presumably the former]. If it's the VPN
client, click Log Log Window and see if any error messages appear. You
may want to turn up the logging [Log Log Settings] but I reckon the
more verbose output would just be more confusing. You could of course get
her to email the log output to her IT people at work.

However, in my office it works fine connected to BT ADSL via a Netgear
DG834G modem/router - didn't need to change any settings.

What is the network address locally and remotely? If they're the same [eg
both 192.168.1.0/24] then you may well stuggle to get things working.

Her IT helpdesk suggested looking at 'UPN 500 and 1001' - are these
ports?

Probably UDP/500 and UDP/1001, ie protocol/port numbers.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:28:28 up 12 days, 15:31, 2 users, load average: 1.08, 1.10, 1.09
Old February 21st 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Check file & printer sharing option is ticked in network connections
in Local Area Network settings tab.

On 21 Feb, 12:35, alexd wrote:
[...]

*Convergence, n: The act of using separate DSL circuits for voice and data

Old February 22nd 08, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Devs

In message
, Gel
writes
Check file & printer sharing option is ticked in network connections
in Local Area Network settings tab.

Random!
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old February 24th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

I'm trying to get my wife's laptop to work with her work VPN at home.

The VPN is a Cisco UPN IPSEC protocol. So far not able to connect
through a Netgear RP614 wired router connected to cable modem and then
to Virgin (ex Blueyonder).

However, in my office it works fine connected to BT ADSL via a Netgear
DG834G modem/router - didn't need to change any settings.

Her IT helpdesk suggested looking at 'UPN 500 and 1001' - are these
ports? The RP614 has limited settings options but it does support VPNs.

Any way to troubleshoot this much appreciated.

E.

See if you can borrow another router to see if that makes a
difference.

I have, I think, a similar VPN setup to where I work.
It used to work perfectly until a few months ago with a 3Com wireless
router. I didn't need to make any changes to the router to get it
working.
However, it suddenly became temperamental.
I borrowed a Netgear router from work to see if the ISP had done
something nasty and that worked.
I then tried a spare cheap router I had (re-badge US Robotics I think)
and that worked, again without changing any 'special' settings.

I've now got a spare 3Com router that works perfectly! (apart from VPN
- dammit)

Old February 24th 08, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news

In message , eastender
writes
I'm trying to get my wife's laptop to work with her work VPN at home.

The VPN is a Cisco UPN IPSEC protocol. So far not able to connect
through a Netgear RP614 wired router connected to cable modem and then
to Virgin (ex Blueyonder).

However, in my office it works fine connected to BT ADSL via a Netgear
DG834G modem/router - didn't need to change any settings.

Her IT helpdesk suggested looking at 'UPN 500 and 1001' - are these
ports? The RP614 has limited settings options but it does support VPNs.

Any way to troubleshoot this much appreciated.

E.

We have had similar ... until recently VPN worked perfectly using a 3com
router. Suddenly it stopped working. Trying a different router didn't
help but installing the speedtouch adslmodem Demon supplied years ago
when we got Broadband did help - it works perfectly again ! and we've no
idea why.

Anyway, persevere and you'll get it working !

Val
--
Val Davies
Old February 24th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

"eastender" wrote in message
I'm trying to get my wife's laptop to work with her work VPN at home.

The VPN is a Cisco UPN IPSEC protocol. So far not able to connect
through a Netgear RP614 wired router connected to cable modem and then
to Virgin (ex Blueyonder).

However, in my office it works fine connected to BT ADSL via a Netgear
DG834G modem/router - didn't need to change any settings.

Her IT helpdesk suggested looking at 'UPN 500 and 1001' - are these
ports? The RP614 has limited settings options but it does support VPNs.

if this is VPN client on a PC then you do not need anything from the router.

try setting the client to use UDP encapsulation - this mainly works and is
the way to get best performance thru a NAT box.

this needs the equivalent settings at the VPN server end to make it work.

you may have problems if the same IP subnet is in use in the VPN server
network (or behind it somewhere) - this was mentioned by another poster.

if the same addresses are locally on your home network and the work one,
then the VPN client will struggle to work out which is which.

if you cannot get UDP to work try TCP encap - this has worked for me
everywhere i have tried.

This includes various 3Com / Linksys / Netgear devices (incl the RP614, MR
814, an ISDN router and a WGR 614), from hotels, on 2 different 3G networks
in the UK and in Europe.

Main problem is where the protocols are explicitly blocked or where only
http is allowed thru, such as on the internal network at some other company
network, where the firewall blocks it.

Any way to troubleshoot this much appreciated.

E.

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old February 25th 08, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eastender

stephen wrote:

if this is VPN client on a PC then you do not need anything from the router.

Yes, it's a Cisco VPN client. I do not have admin rights but it should not be
necessary as it works fine on my work router. I've tried it at home with the
Netgear RP614 and also last night with a Linksys WRK54G connected by wire - the
latter does not even see the laptop as a connected device. Is this a clue? The
Netgear gives 'limited connectivity'.

My wife's helpdesk is of little help - they seem to be learning as they go
along.

you may have problems if the same IP subnet is in use in the VPN server
network (or behind it somewhere) - this was mentioned by another poster.

How do i check this?

if you cannot get UDP to work try TCP encap - this has worked for me
everywhere i have tried.

I can switch the client between UDP and TCP but neither works. I think the VPN
is set to work on UDP.

If you have a moment I would appreciate it if you could say what information i
need to get from the helpdesk and what the logical sequence is then to fix it.
At present, the only option I can see is to buy another router, but I'm not
sure this will fix it. I can't try the work router as it's an ADSL modem
device.

thx

E.

Old February 25th 08, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"eastender" wrote in message
stephen wrote:

if this is VPN client on a PC then you do not need anything from the
router.

Yes, it's a Cisco VPN client. I do not have admin rights but it should
not be
necessary as it works fine on my work router. I've tried it at home with
the
Netgear RP614 and also last night with a Linksys WRK54G connected by
wire - the
latter does not even see the laptop as a connected device. Is this a clue?
The
Netgear gives 'limited connectivity'.

[snip]

I think you should resolve the connection between the laptop and the router
before you go further.

How is it that the Netgear gives 'limited connectivity' ?? Is it that the
laptop reports 'limited connectivity' when you try to connect to the Netgear
router ?? The router should be able to tell you the IP address it has
issued to the laptop, and you should be able to "ping" the laptop from the
router (maybe Negear can't do this).

On the laptop, open a command window. Type in IPCONFIG /ALL followed by the
"enter" key and report what you see. In particular, we need to see whether
DHCP is enabled, and the IP address allocated to the laptop. You should
also see the IP addressess specified for the Default Gateway, DHCP Server,
and DNS Server - ordinarily these should be the same.

The important point here is that the laptop should be set to acquire all
these parameters from the router. If it can do this, then you should also
be able to browse the internet.

Given the circumstances you've already reported for this laptop, it is quite
possible that the IT support company used by your wife's employer has
allocated specific addresses for the laptop and the connection to the
router, perhaps in the knowledge that the router would be set up in a very
specific fashion. If this is the case, you would need administrator rights
to change the laptop settings; or you would need to reconfigure your router
to the settings expected by the IT support company. The question then is,
why does it behave OK on the router you have at work? You could try setting
up your Netgear with exactly similar settings to your work router ...

--
Graham J