Braodband ISP recomendation

Old February 21st 08, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

Default Braodband ISP recomendation

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.
--
Cheers

Peter
Old February 21st 08, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

PeterT wrote:

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.

If you are only using it for email and NG why not use dialup.

Geoff Lane

Old February 21st 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:54:52 +0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

PeterT wrote:

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.

If you are only using it for email and NG why not use dialup.

Geoff Lane

Prefer a broadband connection - dial up I find too slow for web pages
etc
--
Cheers

Peter
Old February 22nd 08, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:52:04, PeterT wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.

Newnet should suit, it works, has real UK humans at the other end.

http://www.newnet.co.uk/

--
Jim Crowther
Old February 22nd 08, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

PeterT wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.

In which case expect poor perfromance.

Graham

Old February 22nd 08, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:41:02 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

PeterT wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.

In which case expect poor perfromance.

Graham

It depends what you mean by performance - all I want is a connection
that works most of the time (during the working day, not in the
evening). I want no more than a 2meg connection and it needs to be
cheap. I suppose a monthly contract would be nice, but 12 months
should be OK
--
Cheers

Peter
Old February 22nd 08, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Eeyore wrote:

PeterT wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.

In which case expect poor perfromance.

Graham

I dunno if that is true. I have my mum running on plusnet ADSL Max 1 gig
download a month limit for 10. It doesn't seem to cause her any
problems. The billing department have certainly never caused me any
problems.

The main problems with ISPs is when they promise unlimited downloads etc.
Old February 22nd 08, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

PeterT wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
PeterT wrote:

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.

In which case expect poor perfromance.

It depends what you mean by performance - all I want is a connection
that works most of the time (during the working day, not in the
evening). I want no more than a 2meg connection and it needs to be
cheap. I suppose a monthly contract would be nice, but 12 months
should be OK

How much do you plan to use it ? If you use only 1GB of downloads a month,
Plusnet do a deal for 9.99 and they're better than the bottom feeder ISPs
like Tiscali, Orange, TalkTalk etc.

You even get free line activation and a free router if you stay with them for
12 months. That's good value.

Graham

Old February 22nd 08, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Nick wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
PeterT wrote:

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.

In which case expect poor perfromance.

I dunno if that is true. I have my mum running on plusnet ADSL Max 1 gig
download a month limit for 10. It doesn't seem to cause her any
problems. The billing department have certainly never caused me any
problems.

The main problems with ISPs is when they promise unlimited downloads etc.

I tend to agree.

Funnily enough I just recommended exactly the same in this instance.

Graham

Old February 22nd 08, 01:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Eeyore wrote:

Nick wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
PeterT wrote:
Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP - preferably as cheap as
possible, not bothered about fast speed 2Meg will be fine, don't see
me giving it much usage - mainly email and NG's - very little, if any,
video, not to bothered about tech support - I wanyt a cheap and
cheerful service.
In which case expect poor perfromance.

I dunno if that is true. I have my mum running on plusnet ADSL Max 1 gig
download a month limit for 10. It doesn't seem to cause her any
problems. The billing department have certainly never caused me any
problems.

The main problems with ISPs is when they promise unlimited downloads etc.

I tend to agree.

Funnily enough I just recommended exactly the same in this instance.

Graham

You're with IDNET too aren't you.

I've recently joined and found out they didn't have a newserver so I
signed up with individual.net who are ok but I had to use Click & Buy
who I'm very uncomfortable with.

I notice you are with astraweb and just looking I see I could have got a
25GB deal with them for $10, damn! I looked and looked for an alternative.