Drop outs

Old February 23rd 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

Default Drop outs

Hi all,

I am having to re-boot my router every ten minutes or so as I keep losing my
broadband connection.

Anyone else having an issue with this? I am currently with Pipex, but as
you may be aware i posted earlier on in the week due to a sloooow
connection.

Cheers,

--
Regards,

Kev

"We Can Do Whatever We Want If Only We Care Enough"

Old February 23rd 08, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveH

Kevin Cole wrote:

Hi all,

I am having to re-boot my router every ten minutes or so as I keep losing my
broadband connection.

Anyone else having an issue with this? I am currently with Pipex, but as
you may be aware i posted earlier on in the week due to a sloooow
connection.

Sounds like your router is dying a slow death to me.

I had similar issues a few years back - initially blamed it on the ISP
until I tried another router.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old February 23rd 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

--
Regards,

Kev

"We Can Do Whatever We Want If Only We Care Enough"
"SteveH" wrote in message
k...
Kevin Cole wrote:

Hi all,

I am having to re-boot my router every ten minutes or so as I keep losing
my
broadband connection.

Anyone else having an issue with this? I am currently with Pipex, but as
you may be aware i posted earlier on in the week due to a sloooow
connection.

Sounds like your router is dying a slow death to me.

I had similar issues a few years back - initially blamed it on the ISP
until I tried another router.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #

Cheers Steve,

Don't last long now a days do they. This one can't be 18 mnths old !

Thanks,

--
Regards,

Kev

Old February 23rd 08, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Kevin Cole" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am having to re-boot my router every ten minutes or so as I keep losing
my broadband connection.

Anyone else having an issue with this? I am currently with Pipex, but as
you may be aware i posted earlier on in the week due to a sloooow
connection.

Cheers,

Yes, but *how* is it losing the connection?
Is it losing sync or just dropping the PPPoA session?
This is the first and most important question you must
ask yourself in these circumstances.
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old February 23rd 08, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

"Graham." wrote in message

"Kevin Cole" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am having to re-boot my router every ten minutes or so as I keep losing
my broadband connection.

Anyone else having an issue with this? I am currently with Pipex, but as
you may be aware i posted earlier on in the week due to a sloooow
connection.

Cheers,

Yes, but *how* is it losing the connection?
Is it losing sync or just dropping the PPPoA session?
This is the first and most important question you must
ask yourself in these circumstances.
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

I'm not too sure to be honest! All I know is that the adsl light on the
front of my router stops flashing. My network, wired and wireless still
works fine but no adsl connection.

How can i check? Incidentially it's remained connected for two hours
without any problems.

Could it have just been a hitch?

Old February 23rd 08, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Kevin Cole wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message
"Kevin Cole" wrote in message

I am having to re-boot my router every ten minutes or so as I keep losing
my broadband connection.

Anyone else having an issue with this? I am currently with Pipex, but as
you may be aware i posted earlier on in the week due to a sloooow
connection.

Yes, but *how* is it losing the connection?
Is it losing sync or just dropping the PPPoA session?
This is the first and most important question you must
ask yourself in these circumstances.

I'm not too sure to be honest! All I know is that the adsl light on the
front of my router stops flashing. My network, wired and wireless still
works fine but no adsl connection.

How can i check?

You need to inspect the internal diagnostic log.

A router should be accessible using an ordinary browser using an IP address such
as 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.2 (check your manual)

Graham

Old February 23rd 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

I'm not too sure to be honest! All I know is that the adsl light on the
front of my router stops flashing.

Sounds like it's losing sync.
Disconnect *everything* from the line except the router and see if things
improve.
The next step is to disconnect any extension wiring, which is usually
possible by removing the lower faceplate from the master socket,
and plugging the router into the now exposed hidden socket.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old February 23rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

"Graham." wrote in message

I'm not too sure to be honest! All I know is that the adsl light on the
front of my router stops flashing.

Sounds like it's losing sync.
Disconnect *everything* from the line except the router and see if things
improve.
The next step is to disconnect any extension wiring, which is usually
possible by removing the lower faceplate from the master socket,
and plugging the router into the now exposed hidden socket.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your advice, I'll give this a shot tomorrow after the shopping,
car washing. Oh on 2nd thoughts it might be monday now!

I'll post back my findings.

Old February 24th 08, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Kevin Cole wrote:
Hi all,

I am having to re-boot my router every ten minutes or so as I keep losing my
broadband connection.

Anyone else having an issue with this? I am currently with Pipex, but as
you may be aware i posted earlier on in the week due to a sloooow
connection.

Cheers,

Burst noise probly. BT may be fiddling with the wires, or someone is
using an arc welder next door..who knwos?

Old February 24th 08, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

Kevin Cole wrote:
Hi all,

I am having to re-boot my router every ten minutes or so as I keep losing
my broadband connection.

Anyone else having an issue with this? I am currently with Pipex, but as
you may be aware i posted earlier on in the week due to a sloooow
connection.

Cheers,

Burst noise probly. BT may be fiddling with the wires, or someone is using
an arc welder next door..who knwos?

May be a long shot, but there has been a lot of house alarms in the area
going off most of the night ?

Probably no though ?

Thanks,