How does talktalk compare?

Old February 23rd 08, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
glen

Default How does talktalk compare?

Hi, I know little/nothing about broadband, so after many dialup years
I think it's time to try bb.

How does talktalk compare to other ISP's these days, as most of the
negative postings on various forums seem to be from 2 years ago.

It seems that there are quite a few negative views on which ever ISP
I consider, so I figured tt is cheap and all I require at the moment
is light surfing (no music or video downloads) and email access.

Would any particular ISP suit a beginner, or is it a case of jump in
and see?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old February 24th 08, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:03:33 GMT, glen wrote:

Hi, I know little/nothing about broadband, so after many dialup years
I think it's time to try bb.

How does talktalk compare to other ISP's these days, as most of the
negative postings on various forums seem to be from 2 years ago.

It seems that there are quite a few negative views on which ever ISP
I consider, so I figured tt is cheap and all I require at the moment
is light surfing (no music or video downloads) and email access.

Would any particular ISP suit a beginner, or is it a case of jump in
and see?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Personally I think TalkTalk is worth a try. It's worked fine for me
for the last 6 months and it's cheap. However, it depends how
important broadband is to you. I can manage with dialup if it breaks.

If TalkTalk works it's fine. Getting any problems fixed may be another
story.

Old February 24th 08, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"glen" wrote in message
Hi, I know little/nothing about broadband, so after many dialup years
I think it's time to try bb.

How does talktalk compare to other ISP's these days, as most of the
negative postings on various forums seem to be from 2 years ago.

It seems that there are quite a few negative views on which ever ISP
I consider, so I figured tt is cheap and all I require at the moment
is light surfing (no music or video downloads) and email access.

Would any particular ISP suit a beginner, or is it a case of jump in
and see?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I have just switched to TalkTalk from BT. I waited until the moans from
when the service first started to go away and several friends I have spoken
to are using TalkTalk and rate it quite highly. I was quoted a go live of
1st March when I spoke to the sales people. That came forward to the 21st
Feb and, on that day, my line went down at 10am for two or three minutes and
then came back up with the new provider. My hacked BT Voyager 2091
connected fine and all has been well. One thing to be aware of though is
that you may not be able to receive incoming phone calls for some hours.
In the bumf they say 4 hours but in our case it came back up during the
night. Outgoing calls were unaffected after the initial switch. Apart
from that one thing I am pleasantly surprised how painless it was, I did not
even have to speak to BT, TalkTalk did it all.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old February 24th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Crow

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:22:51 +0000, wrote:

[...]

I have had TalkTalk broadband for about 16 months now and have no
complaints. Admittedly I am a light user. When I first decided to go
with TalkTalk I had a couple or so queries and contacted their help
desk twice with email and twice by phone. The first email was replied
to within 24 hours with a complete answer to my query and the second
email replied to within 48 hours together with an apology for taking
so long. With both phone calls the people to whom I spoke struck me as
being extremely helpful and courteous. They also gave the impression
of being 'clued up'. The second phone call could not be answered by
the person I was speaking to so they contacted someone else. Again my
query was answered, together with an apology for it taking so long
(possibly 5 minutes in total)
I know people have had problems with TalkTalk but I can only relate my
experiences with them.
Stuart

Old February 24th 08, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
glen

Thanks for the views.
It all sounds good, but the advice on the tt members forum scares
the hell out of a technical incompetent like myself.
Maybe a few more years deliberation!
Thanks again.