A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Need SPI support in router?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 24th 08, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Steve
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Need SPI support in router?

How necessary is SPI in reality, for a home router?

I've managed using a router without it until now - is it just a way of
selling me something that I don't need?

Hence what's the threat/risk, if any, to:

- my router h/w?
- my BB service

I'm a VoIP user and there's a trade-off in choice of ATA/router if SPI
is something I should consider.

TIA


  #2  
Old February 24th 08, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Need SPI support in router?

In article ,
Steve wrote:
How necessary is SPI in reality, for a home router?


Not at all.

I've managed using a router without it until now - is it just a way of
selling me something that I don't need?


Probably.

Hence what's the threat/risk, if any, to:

- my router h/w?


Do you really think that someone could do something from the outside to cause
physical damage?

- my BB service


SPI or not, if someone decides they don't like you, they can cause huge
quantities of data to flow your way and no amount of filtering or
firewalling at your end of the bit of string will make any difference.
You can stop it going through the router (NAT alone ought to do that),
but not stop it getting to the router, and by the time it's reached your
router, it's too late to do anything about it other than throw it away -
it's already clocked up "wire time".

I'm a VoIP user and there's a trade-off in choice of ATA/router if SPI
is something I should consider.


You want (a) a good ISP - none of your 9.99 a month rubbish, and (b) a
router/firewall that can do outbound QoS.

Gordon
  #3  
Old February 24th 08, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Graham Murray
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 207
Default Need SPI support in router?

Steve writes:

How necessary is SPI in reality, for a home router?


Would you even know is a router has SPI unless you look at the part
numbers of the chips on the board and see if a) They support the Serial
Peripheral Interface and b) that the appropriate pins are wired to other
chip(s) which also support SPI. Whether SPI is used should be a decision
for the hardware designer and be of no interest to the user, unless
the SPI bus is brought to a connector for an add-on board - but even
then unless the user is going to design his own add-on board this will
be of no interest to the user.
  #4  
Old February 24th 08, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Gaz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 648
Default Need SPI support in router?

Graham Murray wrote:
Steve writes:

How necessary is SPI in reality, for a home router?


Would you even know is a router has SPI unless you look at the part
numbers of the chips on the board and see if a) They support the
Serial Peripheral Interface and b) that the appropriate pins are
wired to other chip(s) which also support SPI. Whether SPI is used
should be a decision for the hardware designer and be of no interest
to the user, unless
the SPI bus is brought to a connector for an add-on board - but even
then unless the user is going to design his own add-on board this will
be of no interest to the user.


SPI is to do with internet packet inspection, is it not???

Gaz


  #5  
Old February 24th 08, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Graham.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 503
Default Need SPI support in router?


"Graham Murray" wrote in message
...
Steve writes:

How necessary is SPI in reality, for a home router?


Would you even know is a router has SPI unless you look at the part
numbers of the chips on the board and see if a) They support the Serial
Peripheral Interface and b) that the appropriate pins are wired to other
chip(s) which also support SPI. Whether SPI is used should be a decision
for the hardware designer and be of no interest to the user, unless
the SPI bus is brought to a connector for an add-on board - but even
then unless the user is going to design his own add-on board this will
be of no interest to the user.


I think we are talking about Stateful Packet Inspection here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateful_firewall

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%


  #6  
Old February 24th 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Mark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33
Default Need SPI support in router?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:56:46 -0000, "Graham." wrote:


"Graham Murray" wrote in message
...
Steve writes:

How necessary is SPI in reality, for a home router?


Would you even know is a router has SPI unless you look at the part
numbers of the chips on the board and see if a) They support the Serial
Peripheral Interface and b) that the appropriate pins are wired to other
chip(s) which also support SPI. Whether SPI is used should be a decision
for the hardware designer and be of no interest to the user, unless
the SPI bus is brought to a connector for an add-on board - but even
then unless the user is going to design his own add-on board this will
be of no interest to the user.


I think we are talking about Stateful Packet Inspection here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateful_firewall


We are indeed.
  #7  
Old February 24th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Mark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33
Default Need SPI support in router?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:25:00 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article ,
Steve wrote:
How necessary is SPI in reality, for a home router?


Not at all.

I've managed using a router without it until now - is it just a way of
selling me something that I don't need?


Probably.

Hence what's the threat/risk, if any, to:

- my router h/w?


Do you really think that someone could do something from the outside to cause
physical damage?

- my BB service


SPI or not, if someone decides they don't like you, they can cause huge
quantities of data to flow your way and no amount of filtering or
firewalling at your end of the bit of string will make any difference.
You can stop it going through the router (NAT alone ought to do that),
but not stop it getting to the router, and by the time it's reached your
router, it's too late to do anything about it other than throw it away -
it's already clocked up "wire time".

I'm a VoIP user and there's a trade-off in choice of ATA/router if SPI
is something I should consider.


You want (a) a good ISP - none of your 9.99 a month rubbish, and (b) a
router/firewall that can do outbound QoS.

Gordon


Ta.

Decision made: SPA-3102 replaces an older (and trusty) 2100
  #8  
Old February 24th 08, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Nick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 227
Default Need SPI support in router?

Gordon Henderson wrote:


I'm a VoIP user and there's a trade-off in choice of ATA/router if SPI
is something I should consider.


You want (a) a good ISP - none of your 9.99 a month rubbish, and (b) a
router/firewall that can do outbound QoS.

Gordon


Which ISPs support outbound qos. I thought QoS at the moment was only
really handled in your LAN.
  #9  
Old February 24th 08, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Graham Murray
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 207
Default Need SPI support in router?

"Gaz" writes:

SPI is to do with internet packet inspection, is it not???


Google would seem to indicate otherwise. The first hit on the query
'SPI' returns the Wikipedia article for 'Serial Peripheral Interface'
(an inter-chip bus), which is also what SPI means to me. None of the
hits returned on the first 5 pages use SPI in the context of packet
inspection - which implies that that is a minority usage.


  #10  
Old February 24th 08, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Nick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 227
Default Need SPI support in router?

Graham Murray wrote:
"Gaz" writes:

SPI is to do with internet packet inspection, is it not???


Google would seem to indicate otherwise. The first hit on the query
'SPI' returns the Wikipedia article for 'Serial Peripheral Interface'
(an inter-chip bus), which is also what SPI means to me. None of the
hits returned on the first 5 pages use SPI in the context of packet
inspection - which implies that that is a minority usage.


Yebbut, in the context or routers.

If I was talking about a verruca problem on my foot, I wouldn't expect
you to think I was discussing the imperial length measurement a foot.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need SPI support in router? Steve uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 20 February 25th 08 09:36 AM
router to support seperate networks lurch uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 28th 04 01:06 AM
router to support seperate networks Julian Knight uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 27th 04 05:07 PM
router to support seperate networks Ron Lowe uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 27th 04 03:45 PM
router to support seperate networks martin uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 27th 04 04:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.