Web server experience?

Old February 24th 08, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

Default Web server experience?

I would be interested in hearing if anyone is running their own web server
via a home DSL connection, especially if on Virgin Media. I am interested
in trying this for fun, and for the chance to learn more about what's
involved. Although my VM download speed vary wildly, the upload speeds are
more consistent. If you have a website you're hosting in this way maybe
you could share the address here.

Thanks.

Ron

Old February 24th 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:24:53 GMT,it is alleged that "Ron"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

I would be interested in hearing if anyone is running their own web server
via a home DSL connection, especially if on Virgin Media. I am interested
in trying this for fun, and for the chance to learn more about what's
involved. Although my VM download speed vary wildly, the upload speeds are
more consistent. If you have a website you're hosting in this way maybe
you could share the address here.

Thanks.

Ron

Not so much a 'website' per se, but I do occasionally run various
webservers for the purposes of sending large files to
friends/acquaintances, including Apache. I am not _currently_ on
virgin media but I was till they had their 10 min disconnection issues
in october. I never had any problems, port 80 certainly isn't blocked,
and all seems to work quite well. The speed is 'acceptable' for web
pages, provided there aren't too many embedded images etc. Bear in
mind, the upload may count towards a 'fair usage limit', which is
unlikely to be advertised.

FWIW, my current ISP (webtapestry.net) has a nice online bandwidth
usage meter for the current month.

--
_
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign against html e-mail
Old February 25th 08, 03:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ron wrote:
I would be interested in hearing if anyone is running their own web server
via a home DSL connection, especially if on Virgin Media. I am interested
in trying this for fun, and for the chance to learn more about what's
involved. Although my VM download speed vary wildly, the upload speeds are
more consistent. If you have a website you're hosting in this way maybe
you could share the address here.

Thanks.

Ron

I'm running 4 sites this way. 3 on a machine here, one on a
machine..somewhere else..

The most relevant thing to do is to make sure you have a fixed IP
address. Sure there are ways around that, but its a lot easier if it is
fixed forever.

Apart from that,you need to set up redirection to the port 80 (and port
443? if using https) and then robert is a relative.

The only minor irritation I had was when I want to look at the site, I
have to type in its local IP address a my router cant route to its
external IP address and back in.

I solved that by running BIND on teh server, and uysing that as teh
nameserver for my own network macuines. Beats having to use some dodgy
ISPs name servers anyway.

Claranet - my ISP - don't mind a fixed IP address at all. I don't think
I pay for it..maybe there was a one time 5 quid setup fee or something.

This site is under development but have a look anyway..Its not MY design
so don't blame me..but its hosted here.

www.greystone-interiors.co.uk

Old February 25th 08, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bernie

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:57:22 +0000, Chip wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:24:53 GMT,it is alleged that "Ron"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

I would be interested in hearing if anyone is running their own web
server via a home DSL connection, especially if on Virgin Media. I am
interested in trying this for fun, and for the chance to learn more about
what's involved. Although my VM download speed vary wildly, the upload
speeds are more consistent. If you have a website you're hosting in
this way maybe you could share the address here.

Thanks.

Ron

Not so much a 'website' per se, but I do occasionally run various
webservers for the purposes of sending large files to
friends/acquaintances, including Apache. I am not _currently_ on virgin
media but I was till they had their 10 min disconnection issues in
october.

Oh, can you enlighten me on those disconnection problems pls? We have
these even now.

Old February 25th 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al

Ron wrote:
[...]

The O/P was asking about running a webserver from a Virgin Media DSL
connection if I read him correctly.
As you say yours is from Claranet via a fixed IP that VM don't offer.

I know of a couple of people who do host on the end of their VM account (not
me) with reasonable success although I shan't post their URL's here with
express per.

Alastair

Old February 25th 08, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:36:28 +0000,it is alleged that Bernie
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:57:22 +0000, Chip wrote:

[snip]
Not so much a 'website' per se, but I do occasionally run various
webservers for the purposes of sending large files to
friends/acquaintances, including Apache. I am not _currently_ on virgin
media but I was till they had their 10 min disconnection issues in
october.

Oh, can you enlighten me on those disconnection problems pls? We have
these even now.

Basically the router or modem wouldn't stay connected for more than 10
minutes at a time, and when I contacted tech support (at ridiculous
prices), they were clueless... literally, as in "we don't have a
clue".

They were either lying [most likely forced to by someone] or
incompetent, either way, I took it as a sign to hoof it to a decent
ISP. One supervisor told me "It's probably the traffic management, all
isps use it". So I found one that didn't, just to spite them g

--
_
Old February 25th 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Al wrote:
Ron wrote:
[...]

He said eespecially. Not *only*..

As you say yours is from Claranet via a fixed IP that VM don't offer.

I know of a couple of people who do host on the end of their VM account (not
me) with reasonable success although I shan't post their URL's here with
express per.

My main point was that if you wanted to do it, frankly a fixed IP is
the most basic starting point.Yes dynamic redirects do work, BUT there
is always a lag between a DSL reconnect and a proper DNS behaviour. That
can be irritating to customers.

The other stuff I detailed is valid for any ISP.

Only the static IP bit is likely to be ISP specific.

Alastair

Old February 25th 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

The only minor irritation I had was when I want to look at the site, I
have to type in its local IP address a my router cant route to its
external IP address and back in.

Another way of doing it, if you're running Windows, just add the DNS lookup
in the hosts file for each machine you want to access it on.

Old February 26th 08, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:07:47, Herman wrote:

Your software is broken, when I follow-up like this all is gone...

Try OEquotefix:

Jim Crowther
Old February 26th 08, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Herman wrote:
The only minor irritation I had was when I want to look at the site, I
have to type in its local IP address a my router cant route to its
external IP address and back in.

Another way of doing it, if you're running Windows, just add the DNS lookup
in the hosts file for each machine you want to access it on.

Well I could have gone that route..but it seemed easier to do a proper
spoofing DNS server for 'my' zones and simply tell all the machines -
two Macs, a PC and the linux web server itself, to use them.

Only need to maintain ONE set of tables that way..;-)