Zen Half Speed Update and need help!! Please.

Old February 25th 08, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Zen Half Speed Update and need help!! Please.

My post last week was "I am normally very stable at 2mb but for weeks now it
has been just under 1mb?"

After getting some tips from you guys I called Zen, who were very good, who
said I had to try everything my side of the BT master plate before they
could blame BT's side. So changed filter, tried friends spare (almost
unused) router, factory re-set my router, ran full virus and spyware scans
and still no better. My router is on a short cable (about one metre long) to
the BT socket & no changes have been made to anything for years.

Yet the Zen Portal says my line is only capable of 1000 kbps, Over half of
what is has been showing for years. Do I get back on to Zen or do I call BT?
Can BT do a check from their end without an engineer visit? I have read
other stories where BT send an engineer and bill the user large figures even
for one short call out!

Ken

Old February 25th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
[...]

Did they get you to do the speed tests?

Quote:
Stage 2
A failure at Stage 1 means that your connection speed is currently below the
performance threshold for your service (Related Article).

After clicking Continue you will be asked to reconfigure your connection
settings by entering a username of [email protected] (the password entered is
irrelevent). If you are using a modem then you should change your dial-up
username. If you are using a router you should access the configuration
menu and change the username in the login options. The current username
will be of the form [email protected] or [email protected] It is important that
you do not close your browser or move away from the BT speed test page as
you can not return directly to test 2 once the page has been closed.

Once you have changed your username click Go, after a short pause while your
user details are verified, the second test will start to run.

Once the test has completed you will either be advised that the test has
passed and it has been unable to identify any performance problems with your
service at this time or that the test has failed and further testing is
required in which case you will be automatically redirected to Stage
http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledg....aspx?id=10383

Old February 25th 08, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Ken wrote:

Do I get back on to Zen or do I call BT?

You don't have a contract with BT for broadband so they will charge you for any
line checks you ask them to do. Zen can ask BT on your behalf though (if they
choose to be helpful).

What's your distance from the exchange ?.

Graham

Old February 25th 08, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

Do I get back on to Zen or do I call BT?

You don't have a contract with BT for broadband so they will charge you
for any
line checks you ask them to do. Zen can ask BT on your behalf though (if
they
choose to be helpful).

What's your distance from the exchange ?.

Graham

According to info on samknows 2015 metres away.

Ken

Old February 25th 08, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"It's Me" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your tips I told the Zen support I had done speed tests on
various testing sites and all came back at 970'ish. Just tested on the Bt
site and the results as below. So again half of what I have been used to for
the part 3/4 years? What now????

Ken

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1248 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 910 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or
websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Old February 25th 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

Do I get back on to Zen or do I call BT?

You don't have a contract with BT for broadband so they will charge you
for any
line checks you ask them to do. Zen can ask BT on your behalf though (if
they
choose to be helpful).

What's your distance from the exchange ?.

Graham

According to info on samknows 2015 metres away.

Ken

You are on the old Fixed 2Meg?

And was getting 2Meg at one time and now only get 1Meg, is that right?

I am on the old fixed 2Meg and it's OK here, if you have changed to MAXdsl
maybe something has got stuck with the BRAS or what ever it's called.

I would get back to Zen, they should have an history of you speeds I would
think.

Old February 25th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

You are on the old Fixed 2Meg?

And was getting 2Meg at one time and now only get 1Meg, is that right?

I am on the old fixed 2Meg and it's OK here, if you have changed to MAXdsl
maybe something has got stuck with the BRAS or what ever it's called.

I would get back to Zen, they should have an history of you speeds I would
think.

Just noticed:
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)

You are on MAXadsl.

Old February 25th 08, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"It's Me" wrote in message

You are on the old Fixed 2Meg?

And was getting 2Meg at one time and now only get 1Meg, is that right?

I am on the old fixed 2Meg and it's OK here, if you have changed to
MAXdsl maybe something has got stuck with the BRAS or what ever it's
called.

I would get back to Zen, they should have an history of you speeds I
would think.

Just noticed:
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)

You are on MAXadsl.

On the Zen 8000 active on the Max adsl.
Guess I will have to call Zen in the morning.
Thanks for your input.

Ken

Old February 25th 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Ken wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Ken wrote:

Do I get back on to Zen or do I call BT?

You don't have a contract with BT for broadband so they will charge you
for any line checks you ask them to do. Zen can ask BT on your behalf

though (if
they choose to be helpful).

What's your distance from the exchange ?.

According to info on samknows 2015 metres away.

I'd expect you to get better than even 2mbps in that case. This is where
seriously good technical support from your ISP counts.

Graham

Old February 25th 08, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Ken wrote:

Do I get back on to Zen or do I call BT?

You don't have a contract with BT for broadband so they will charge you
for any line checks you ask them to do. Zen can ask BT on your behalf

though (if
they choose to be helpful).

What's your distance from the exchange ?.

According to info on samknows 2015 metres away.

I'd expect you to get better than even 2mbps in that case. This is where
seriously good technical support from your ISP counts.

Graham

I will call them tomorrow.

Ken