Sky broadband mid package problems

Old February 25th 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Sky broadband mid package problems

Well been on the mid package for a month now and no problems, although I
notice speeds and be limited in the peak hours so download drag a bit. But
no real problems except using the sagem box which I guess is causing the
problems that it occasionally asks me for a user name and password while I'm
surfing but bear in mind I'm not on a password protected site just searching
in google and on sites I'm already logged onto so its not any form of
autentication like that its coming from the router. I enter my router login
and it takes me to the router config, which is the only way to get rid of
it.

I checked all the settings and looked for anything remote directed to this
problem to turn off but found nothing. Anyone have any ideas what might be
up ?

thanks kindly.

Old February 25th 08, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

no real problems except using the sagem box which I guess is causing the
problems that it occasionally asks me for a user name and password while I'm
surfing but bear in mind I'm not on a password protected site just searching
in google and on sites I'm already logged onto so its not any form of
autentication like that its coming from the router

Someone had a similar problem about a month ago, not sure if they
found a resolution, but i'm wondering if it might be an issue with the
routers themselves (although the request for the page would seemingly
have to come from your own PC)

Come to think of it, it'd be a clever way of gathering password info
if keyloggers/spyware adopted this as a tactic of accessing common
router IP addresses...
Old February 26th 08, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
no real problems except using the sagem box which I guess is causing the
problems that it occasionally asks me for a user name and password while
I'm
surfing but bear in mind I'm not on a password protected site just
searching
in google and on sites I'm already logged onto so its not any form of
autentication like that its coming from the router

Someone had a similar problem about a month ago, not sure if they
found a resolution, but i'm wondering if it might be an issue with the
routers themselves (although the request for the page would seemingly
have to come from your own PC)

Come to think of it, it'd be a clever way of gathering password info
if keyloggers/spyware adopted this as a tactic of accessing common
router IP addresses...

I considered some form of spyware but it was on a fresh installl of Windows.
For peace of mind I ran the usal scanners like spybot etc but no nothing odd
running.

I'm baffled what the problem may be tbh. Also when the dialog pops up it
will not let you carry on surfing and will keep popping up if you keep
pressing cancel.

I've gone through the config pages of the router and see nothing of relvance
like some kinf of timeout setting etc.

Like you say it could be on the router side, but I believe they are quite
new to sky broadband so maywell be a fault there. Sky say the fault is my PC
lol, I epect nothing less from them even when I have no reception after bad
weather its my fault not my dish out of alignment tsk you gotta love em'

I'm stumped.

Thanks for the post

Old February 26th 08, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'm stumped.

The only other thing I can think of might be to try a linux boot CD -
then if you're still keep getting them, it's the router ! :-}

I wonder if there may be a problem with the way it handles DHCP or
something ? (i.e. if the connection drops and tries to re-establish)
Old February 26th 08, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'm stumped.
Thanks for the post

No probs :-)

I posted about it on the skyuser.co.uk forums last night, and the
reply came back thus:

"Its not an issue as such, normally means that the router has lost
connection to the sky servers and cannot authenticate. A power cycle
of the router normally resolves it."
Old February 26th 08, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Colin Wilson wrote:
I'm stumped.
Thanks for the post

No probs :-)

I posted about it on the skyuser.co.uk forums last night, and the
reply came back thus:

"Its not an issue as such, normally means that the router has lost
connection to the sky servers and cannot authenticate. A power cycle
of the router normally resolves it."

Does that translate to: "It's not an issue, the firmware is screwed."? :-)

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old February 26th 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abo

James wrote:

lol, I epect nothing less from them even when I have no reception after bad
weather its my fault not my dish out of alignment tsk you gotta love em'

To be fair, it's unlikely to be Sky's fault if the wind has blown the
dish out of alignment...

--
Abo
Old February 26th 08, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
I'm stumped.

The only other thing I can think of might be to try a linux boot CD -
then if you're still keep getting them, it's the router ! :-}

I wonder if there may be a problem with the way it handles DHCP or
something ? (i.e. if the connection drops and tries to re-establish)

Righto good Idea Colin, I thought I'd give it a go this evening as I have a
few distributions of Linux and suprise suprise it did it, so its looking
like a router problem.

Sky deny any problem and well we see it is and they won't give me my
username and apssword for another router, what to do ?

A right pain in the bum. Sometimes when your online at the checkout stage
and it drops you get a bit AHHHH great. I've googled and checked out skyuser
forums aswell but I see no one else with this problem, I feel so special
lol.

Old February 26th 08, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
I'm stumped.
Thanks for the post

No probs :-)

I posted about it on the skyuser.co.uk forums last night, and the
reply came back thus:

"Its not an issue as such, normally means that the router has lost
connection to the sky servers and cannot authenticate. A power cycle
of the router normally resolves it."

Ahhh top man.

Yeah I find rebooting it works also just waiting 3/4 mins does the job and
eh walla (my attempt at French lol) its back.

But the frequency it drops is worrying.

Old February 26th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Abo" wrote in message
James wrote:

lol, I epect nothing less from them even when I have no reception after
bad weather its my fault not my dish out of alignment tsk you gotta love
em'

To be fair, it's unlikely to be Sky's fault if the wind has blown the dish
out of alignment...

True but when you have no reception and still under warranty they usually
say no rpbos we'll send the crap installer out to re-align it ... seeing as
your paying for the top packages

Granted not their fault though, my point being their not to helpful sorting
things out when they go wrong.