Need advice on buying a VOIP router

Old February 25th 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Need advice on buying a VOIP router

I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
off.

I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
that might be better and cheaper.

I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
router.

I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
to be a well known brand with decent support.

Any suggestions please.
Old February 25th 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al

wrote in message
I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
off.

I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
that might be better and cheaper.

I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
router.

I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
to be a well known brand with decent support.

Any suggestions please.

Draytek 2100 is my choice and have had one for 2 years at home.
Has one FXS VoIP port but allows the connection of 3 SIP accounts with
latest firmware.
Have used various Draytek for other SIP connections I have installed with no
hassle.

Old February 25th 08, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul G

wrote in message
I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
off.

I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
that might be better and cheaper.

I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
router.

I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
to be a well known brand with decent support.

Any suggestions please.

Do you need to go for the expense of a whole router? Assuming you already
have a router on your cable connection, you could just get an adaptor such
as a Linksys PAP2 (broadbandbuyer.co.uk 31) and plug it into your
existing router.

Alternateively if it is a router you need then i'd recommend any of the
Draytek ones with VOIP but they aren't cheap

Paul

Old February 26th 08, 02:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

: : I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the
: : PC switched off.
: :
: : I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to
: : be available via Sipgate but I get the impression it's
: : no longer in production, I'm sure I could get one, but
: : I am wondering if there is anything newer that might be
: : better and cheaper.
: :
: : I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one
: : desktop computer and so need a router purely so I can
: : use Sipgate VOIP when the computer is switched off - I
: : want to connect my home phones to the router.
: :
: : I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need
: : some pointers to a router suitable for this relatively
: : simple purpose. It would need to be a well known brand
: : with decent support.
: :
: : Any suggestions please.

I can recommend the Fritz!Box range from AVM (www.avm.de/en) but they're
not cheap. 2 or 3 phone ports, depending on model, plus wireless if
required.

However, if you only need an ATA to plug into an existing router, then
something like the Linksys PAP2 with 2 phone ports would be suitable.

Ivor

Old February 26th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Al wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I've installed a log of Draytek routers over the years, but have sort of
gone off them recently. I found some serious NAT issues in them that
stopped a simple port-forwarding to work, and trying to use DMZ hosts
and NAT/port forwarding was a real problem too. Shame as they are
feature-rich (but maybe that's their problem!)

I'm looking at Zyxel boxes now, but not really made my mind up yet...

Gordon
Old February 26th 08, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 02:13:37 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

An earlier post suggested buying a PAP2 if you already have a suitable
router. I agree that this is a good option. I would advise that you
buy a new one and don't go for an iffy ebay second hand one, also make
sure what you buy is unlocked.
Out of the same stable, take a look at the Linksys 3102.
There is a product, the Linksys WRP400, that is new to me, so I can't
comment on it except that, being Linksys, I find it interesting and I
would be interested in comments from anyone who has used one.
There is a similar device with an ADSL moden built in also. The WRP400
is particularly attractive because it has 2 lines and sells at a
relatively good price (56)
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=5200
Personally, I MUCH prefer the dial plan system of the Linksys devices
to that of the Fritzbox. The Fritzbox does have a simpler set up but
the end experience, for the person using the phone, is much more user
friendly with the Linksys dial plan system.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old February 26th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pacman

[...]

I would go for the FritzBox as well. (To be honest I have no experience with
the other devices mentioned above)
FritzBox works even behind another Router when configured as simple network
device. FB 7170 has 3 phone connectors and I have now 8 phone numbers active
(also some Sipgate).
http://www.avm.de/de/Produkte/FRITZB...LAN/index.html
(sorry German only )

FritzBox VoIP Fon WLAN 7170 (150 Euros) is now to be replaced by the newer
7270 (195 Euros) model.

regards, P

--
www.davidata.net/?uk.telecom.voip

Old February 26th 08, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thanks for those replies.

In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from Sipgate as I have
not got a router at the moment - at least if I buy it from them
they'll help me set it up if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to
some degree!

Old February 26th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

wrote in message
Thanks for those replies.

In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from Sipgate as I have
not got a router at the moment - at least if I buy it from them
they'll help me set it up if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to
some degree!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink,