Still suffering from drop outs!

Old February 26th 08, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

Default Still suffering from drop outs!

Hi all,

I have just read on the net that if my SNR margin falls below 10 itis
possible that my connection will lose synch.

As it's been dropping out a lot lately I have checked my router and have a
SNR margin of 6 and no steady adsl light on the router it's constantly
flashing.

Is this a line fault then because of exchange distance? I would test the
master socket as advised but I can not get to it at present !

Thanks,

--
Regards,

Kev

"We Can Do Whatever We Want If Only We Care Enough"

Old February 26th 08, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:42:35 +0000, Kevin Cole wrote:

I have just read on the net that if my SNR margin falls below 10 itis
possible that my connection will lose synch.

10dB is a rather generous margin. I believe BT will train you towards
6dB. I've tweaked mine so it's 3.5-4.5dB and it's perfectly reliable -
the line had an uptime of 50 days before I had a power cut on Sunday.

As it's been dropping out a lot lately I have checked my router and have
a SNR margin of 6 and no steady adsl light on the router it's constantly
flashing.

If you can't get to your master socket, there's no point logging a fault
and expecting a BT engineer to help you.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:30:13 up 1 day, 16:20, 1 user, load average: 0.37, 0.15, 0.06
Old February 26th 08, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

"alexd" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:42:35 +0000, Kevin Cole wrote:

I have just read on the net that if my SNR margin falls below 10 itis
possible that my connection will lose synch.

10dB is a rather generous margin. I believe BT will train you towards
6dB. I've tweaked mine so it's 3.5-4.5dB and it's perfectly reliable -
the line had an uptime of 50 days before I had a power cut on Sunday.

As it's been dropping out a lot lately I have checked my router and have
a SNR margin of 6 and no steady adsl light on the router it's constantly
flashing.

If you can't get to your master socket, there's no point logging a fault
and expecting a BT engineer to help you.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:30:13 up 1 day, 16:20, 1 user, load average: 0.37, 0.15, 0.06

Is your router plugged into an extension or direct to the master socket?
If it's through an extension have you checked the wiring? You only need
wires 2 and 5 connected at both ends. The bell wire in particular can act
like an aerial and pick up interference. I was having problems with my SNR
dropping below 6 (anything below 6 can cause problems). I removed all wires
apart from 2 and 5 and my SNR went from 6 to about 13. Never had any
problems after that.

I have also purchased a XTE-2005 faceplate and that has increased my speed
by 2mb.

Old February 26th 08, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Cole

--

"alexd" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:42:35 +0000, Kevin Cole wrote:

I have just read on the net that if my SNR margin falls below 10 itis
possible that my connection will lose synch.

10dB is a rather generous margin. I believe BT will train you towards
6dB. I've tweaked mine so it's 3.5-4.5dB and it's perfectly reliable -
the line had an uptime of 50 days before I had a power cut on Sunday.

How have you tweaked it ?

As it's been dropping out a lot lately I have checked my router and have
a SNR margin of 6 and no steady adsl light on the router it's constantly
flashing.

If you can't get to your master socket, there's no point logging a fault
and expecting a BT engineer to help you.

Better consider some re-arranging then !

Old February 27th 08, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Preston

On Feb 26, 8:34 am, alexd wrote:

If you can't get to your master socket, there's no point logging a fault
and expecting a BT engineer to help you.

Bang out of order! it's their job to repair faults. Can you imagine
some little old lady of 86 unscrewing the master socket?
Old February 27th 08, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 27/02/2008 20:28, Ken Preston wrote:

Bang out of order! it's their job to repair faults. Can you imagine
some little old lady of 86 unscrewing the master socket?

If there's a wardrobe full of junk in front of the socket, is it the BT
engineer's job to empty and move it?

Old February 27th 08, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Andy Burns wrote:
On 27/02/2008 20:28, Ken Preston wrote:

Bang out of order! it's their job to repair faults. Can you imagine
some little old lady of 86 unscrewing the master socket?

If there's a wardrobe full of junk in front of the socket, is it
the BT engineer's job to empty and move it?

Some do expect it & get rather annoyed when you don't

Old February 28th 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"kraftee" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:
On 27/02/2008 20:28, Ken Preston wrote:

Bang out of order! it's their job to repair faults. Can you imagine
some little old lady of 86 unscrewing the master socket?

If there's a wardrobe full of junk in front of the socket, is it
the BT engineer's job to empty and move it?

Some do expect it & get rather annoyed when you don't

And that's where the old tea-and-biscuits gambit comes in handy ;-)
I used this recently when our dropwire bracket was wrenched away from our
house by a local hedge-cutter.
Openreach not only turned up within hours of reporting it but fixed it in
the dark.
The tea and biccies undoubtedly prevented the job as being booked as
chargeable.

George

Old February 28th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

George Weston wrote:
The tea and biccies undoubtedly prevented the job as being booked as
chargeable.

Of course the last biscuit you offered them contained the antidote to
the poison that was in the first that was to ensure that the job would
never be chargeable if they ever made it back to base after saying it
would be .... :[email protected]

--
Adrian 'Psychopath' C
Old February 29th 08, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

George Weston wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:
On 27/02/2008 20:28, Ken Preston wrote:

Bang out of order! it's their job to repair faults. Can you
imagine some little old lady of 86 unscrewing the master socket?

If there's a wardrobe full of junk in front of the socket, is it
the BT engineer's job to empty and move it?

Some do expect it & get rather annoyed when you don't

And that's where the old tea-and-biscuits gambit comes in handy ;-)
I used this recently when our dropwire bracket was wrenched away
from our house by a local hedge-cutter.
Openreach not only turned up within hours of reporting it but fixed
it in the dark.
The tea and biccies undoubtedly prevented the job as being booked as
chargeable.

George

Wouldn't have been chargable to you anyway as it was third party
damage. 'Fraid you've wasted those biscuits.

DRO (damage report overhead) are always given priority as it
constitutes a extra hazard to the public, so here again I'm afraid the
biddies were not required (they were getting paid OT as well)