A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Sky Broadband opinions please



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 26th 08, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eadg
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Sky Broadband opinions please

Hi, I spent an hour using the online chat service to find out about their
40G/8Mb package (£21 pm) and I was wondering what people's experience with
Sky is on this package. At the moment I'm with Tesco but getting a max of
only 1Mb on my 2Mb connection is gradually wearing me down, even if it does
mean I will need a dish fitted.
TIA

--
SR


  #2  
Old February 26th 08, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 230
Default Sky Broadband opinions please

eadg wrote:
Hi, I spent an hour using the online chat service to find out about
their 40G/8Mb package (£21 pm) and I was wondering what people's
experience with Sky is on this package. At the moment I'm with Tesco
but getting a max of only 1Mb on my 2Mb connection is gradually
wearing me down, even if it does mean I will need a dish fitted.


If the reason for the 1Mb is line quality, switching to Sky is not going to
change anything.

I'm on Sky and my line is capped at 1152/288 due to line length. Apart from
that their service is fine.


  #3  
Old February 26th 08, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eadg
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Sky Broadband opinions please

"Grant" wrote in message
...
eadg wrote:
Hi, I spent an hour using the online chat service to find out about
their 40G/8Mb package (£21 pm) and I was wondering what people's
experience with Sky is on this package. At the moment I'm with Tesco
but getting a max of only 1Mb on my 2Mb connection is gradually
wearing me down, even if it does mean I will need a dish fitted.


If the reason for the 1Mb is line quality, switching to Sky is not going
to change anything.

I'm on Sky and my line is capped at 1152/288 due to line length. Apart
from that their service is fine.


Line length? Do you receive it through your phone line and not a dish? This
is the reason I'm willing to install a dish to improve matters as I'm 2Km
from the exchange and I think it's pointless switching to another BB
supplier if the weak link is the exchange, no matter wgat they promise.

--
SR


  #4  
Old February 26th 08, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 259
Default Sky Broadband opinions please

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:07:55, eadg wrote:

"Grant" wrote in message
. ..
eadg wrote:
Hi, I spent an hour using the online chat service to find out about
their 40G/8Mb package (£21 pm) and I was wondering what people's
experience with Sky is on this package. At the moment I'm with Tesco
but getting a max of only 1Mb on my 2Mb connection is gradually
wearing me down, even if it does mean I will need a dish fitted.


If the reason for the 1Mb is line quality, switching to Sky is not going
to change anything.

I'm on Sky and my line is capped at 1152/288 due to line length. Apart
from that their service is fine.


Line length? Do you receive it through your phone line and not a dish? This
is the reason I'm willing to install a dish to improve matters as I'm 2Km
from the exchange and I think it's pointless switching to another BB
supplier if the weak link is the exchange, no matter wgat they promise.


You do NOT receive Sky BB through a dish, it is delivered via a phone
line like all other ADSL ISPs.

--
Jim Crowther
  #5  
Old February 26th 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 465
Default Sky Broadband opinions please


"eadg" wrote in message
...
"Grant" wrote in message
...
eadg wrote:
Hi, I spent an hour using the online chat service to find out about
their 40G/8Mb package (£21 pm) and I was wondering what people's
experience with Sky is on this package. At the moment I'm with Tesco
but getting a max of only 1Mb on my 2Mb connection is gradually
wearing me down, even if it does mean I will need a dish fitted.


If the reason for the 1Mb is line quality, switching to Sky is not going
to change anything.

I'm on Sky and my line is capped at 1152/288 due to line length. Apart
from that their service is fine.


Line length? Do you receive it through your phone line and not a dish?
This is the reason I'm willing to install a dish to improve matters as I'm
2Km from the exchange and I think it's pointless switching to another BB
supplier if the weak link is the exchange, no matter wgat they promise.
SR

Nope up the phone line, 2km isn't that far for ADSL.

If you are in a Virgin Cable TV area, their BB is sent up the TV coax
and doesn't have the distance limitations that ADSL up a phone line has

Get rid of Tesco.net they dont offer ADSLmax

Sky could be a better deal even if you don't get that much faster,
also for a couple of quid a month more, Sky through easynet
offer ADSL 2 (up to 16mbp/s) on LLU easynet enabled exchanges

If yours is enabled i'd go for that, check out

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ll...p?type=easynet

Steve Terry


  #6  
Old February 26th 08, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 153
Default Sky Broadband opinions please

eadg wrote:
Hi, I spent an hour using the online chat service to find out about their
40G/8Mb package (£21 pm) and I was wondering what people's experience with
Sky is on this package. At the moment I'm with Tesco but getting a max of
only 1Mb on my 2Mb connection is gradually wearing me down, even if it does
mean I will need a dish fitted.
TIA


Sorry, can only comment on their unlimited package. My local exchange is
LLU for Sky and I get 10.5Mb out of the 16Mb they advertise, which I'm
pretty happy with to be honest. Can't say I've ever had a problem with
e.g. having no internet connection and the speed is always stable.

VPN always works well.

People have reported problems with Sky email in the past, but I use a
3rd party POp3 email provider, so I've not noticed.

--
Abo
  #7  
Old February 26th 08, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 153
Default Sky Broadband opinions please

eadg wrote:

I'm on Sky and my line is capped at 1152/288 due to line length. Apart
from that their service is fine.


Line length? Do you receive it through your phone line and not a dish? This


Woops

is the reason I'm willing to install a dish to improve matters as I'm 2Km
from the exchange and I think it's pointless switching to another BB
supplier if the weak link is the exchange, no matter wgat they promise.


Check your local exchange and see if it is LLU for Sky, it might help
your speed if it is?

--
Abo
  #8  
Old February 26th 08, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 465
Default Sky Broadband opinions please


"Abo" wrote in message
...
eadg wrote:

snip
People have reported problems with Sky email in the past, but I use a 3rd
party POp3 email provider, so I've not noticed.

googlemail pop3 and smtp work great

Steve Terry


  #9  
Old February 26th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 57
Default Sky Broadband opinions please


"Steve Terry" wrote in message
...

"Abo" wrote in message
...
eadg wrote:

snip
People have reported problems with Sky email in the past, but I use a 3rd
party POp3 email provider, so I've not noticed.

googlemail pop3 and smtp work great

Steve Terry

I have the unlimited (16mb) package (£10 per month). Currently get 6mb due
to distance from exchange. Before I moved I was getting about 12mb. Never
really have any problems with it. There email system is web based, powered
by google email but I use MS Outlook without problem.

For £10 per month, I don't think there is a better package! One thing that
does let it down is there Customer Services. Not the best in the world.
There is an excellent forum on Sky Broadband and other sky products over at
www.skyuser.co.uk.


  #10  
Old February 26th 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default Sky Broadband opinions please

Abo wrote:
eadg wrote:

I'm on Sky and my line is capped at 1152/288 due to line length.
Apart from that their service is fine.


Line length? Do you receive it through your phone line and not a
dish? This


Woops

is the reason I'm willing to install a dish to improve matters as
I'm 2Km from the exchange and I think it's pointless switching to
another BB supplier if the weak link is the exchange, no matter
wgat they promise.


Check your local exchange and see if it is LLU for Sky, it might
help your speed if it is?


With a speed as low as what the OP is getting, even going onto a DSL2
service will do little for the speed. As for customer service, my
lips are sealed.....


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sky Broadband - opinions? paulfoel uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 14 March 25th 07 05:33 PM
Any opinions on Tesco broadband ? false-name uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 10 August 4th 05 11:31 PM
TalkTalk Broadband - opinions? AMO uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 January 6th 05 05:48 AM
OPinions on broadband routers please andmoreagain uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 3 July 14th 03 12:20 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.