Very weird timed dropouts on Pipex?

Old February 26th 08, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

Default Very weird timed dropouts on Pipex?

Hi, I'm on Pipex Xtreme, and have been for years, because I've always been
fine with them. Good signal and speeds.

Three days ago it started to drop out on a regular pattern, 4 mins on 1 min
off. I've checked the diagnostics on the router (as far as I can) and
upgraded the firmware - working fine - I've removed everything else from the
line, switched filters around and checked the phone for noise. The pattern
seems to exist outside my switching the router on or off, if you see what I
mean .....

So it doesn't appear, at this stage, to be at my end - particularly since it
is so regular!

Yesterday, an unhelpful chap at Pipex told me they were doing maintenance
and he couldn't check the line for another two or three days, although he
could see the anomaly. Not good. Great service huh?

Any ideas?

Barb

Old February 26th 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 26/02/2008 13:06, Barb wrote:

Yesterday, an unhelpful chap at Pipex told me they were doing maintenance
and he couldn't check the line for another two or three days

Have you been switched over to their LLU service?
Old February 26th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

Andy, Thx for replying so quickly ... I'm tearing my hair out here!

I have no idea what an "LLU service" is ??? Duh ? ;-( Or, of course,
what I do about it?

Barb

Have you been switched over to their LLU service?

Old February 26th 08, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 26/02/2008 14:17, Barb wrote:

Andy, Thx for replying so quickly ... I'm tearing my hair out here!

I have no idea what an "LLU service" is ??? Duh ? ;-( Or, of course,
what I do about it?

LLU is local loop unbundling, it allows a broadband supplier to separate
the broadband part of your line from the phone part, then connect it to
their own equipment instead of BT's.

Tiscali purchased Pipex and have been moving customers over to LLU, this
has caused a few problems, not much you can do about it, give them a few
days to sort it out, if they can't sort it move supplier, they seem to
have "factored in" that they'll save more money from those that stay
than they'll lose from the few they drive away

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/archive/1.html?q=pipex

Old February 26th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Castle

On Feb 26, 1:06*pm, "Barb" wrote:

Yesterday, an unhelpful chap at Pipex told me they were doing maintenance
and he couldn't check the line for another two or three days, although he
could see the anomaly. *Not good. Great service huh?

Welcome to Tiscali

Nick.

Old February 26th 08, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

Thx again Andy.. all is now clear. It seems this *might* be the problem,
since it is obviously some switch, or relay-thingy cycling through something
(you can tell I'm not a techy person, can't you?). And, on reading bits of
your interesting link, why the tech nerd was not helpful and cagey about
telling me what was going on, timescale etc.

This is mad, actually - if he'd told me they were changing servers or moving
stuff around etc. etc., and to please give it a couple more days, I would
have been happier.....I'm not an unreasonable person!

I sent an email to their tech support and customer service, saying I wasn't
happy with their response. We'll see what happens. As you say, if it isn't
sorted I'll have to move - this is quite intolerable for the amount of I'm
paying for an expensive service.

Barb

Old February 26th 08, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

Yes Nick. Well, I'll see if it gets sorted reasonably, and then if my
service is not reduced, and if not, I'm off!!

I don't mind paying extra for a good, smooth, fundamentally unlimited
service with good technical support - which I had been getting from Pipex.
I believe in "you get what you pay for".

Any suggestions, anyone?

Barb

Old February 26th 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin D. Pay

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:11:57 -0000, "Barb"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

Yes Nick. Well, I'll see if it gets sorted reasonably, and then if my
service is not reduced, and if not, I'm off!!

I don't mind paying extra for a good, smooth, fundamentally unlimited
service with good technical support - which I had been getting from Pipex.
I believe in "you get what you pay for".

Any suggestions, anyone?

Barb

ADSL24... (www.adsl24.co.uk)

Martin D. Pay
Going live with them next Monday... ^_^
Old February 26th 08, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:58:53 +0000, Martin D. Pay
wrote:

ADSL24... (www.adsl24.co.uk)

Martin D. Pay
Going live with them next Monday... ^_^

I can't say I'm too impressed with the saturn mailserver (which is for
accounts created after sept 2007)

The other mailserver (pluto) doesn't appears to suffer from the same
problems but there's no redundancy to cover for when the saturn server
is down.

Jim.

Old February 27th 08, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:06:55 -0000, "Barb"
wrote:

Hi, I'm on Pipex Xtreme, and have been for years, because I've always been
fine with them. Good signal and speeds.

.....and so it should be, there is only you left on Pipex, everyone
else has seen the light, the support staff have almost gone too, and
they now amount to a black and white cat left behind by the tea lady
sat in front of a half installed copy of windows 95, the cat however
has the intelligence to have switched off the ringer on the phone so
it can get some sleep.