Router - Ethernet WAN side

Old February 26th 08, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

Default Router - Ethernet WAN side

Can anyone recommend a router that has plain ol' ethernet on the WAN
port? WIFI would be a bonus. I have had a Google around and can only
find a) things no longer available or b) have some dire user reviews.
I initially thought that any "cable" router would do, but after
downloading a few manuals it is not at all clear if they will work
with just ethernet WAN side and no authentication at all.

TIA
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old February 26th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Dave Saville wrote:
Can anyone recommend a router that has plain ol' ethernet on the WAN
port? WIFI would be a bonus. I have had a Google around and can only
find a) things no longer available or b) have some dire user
reviews. I initially thought that any "cable" router would do, but
after downloading a few manuals it is not at all clear if they will
work with just ethernet WAN side and no authentication at all.

TIA

Any non DSL Netgear routers will do the job

Old February 26th 08, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Can anyone recommend a router that has plain ol' ethernet on the WAN
port? WIFI would be a bonus. I have had a Google around and can only
find a) things no longer available or b) have some dire user reviews.
I initially thought that any "cable" router would do, but after
downloading a few manuals it is not at all clear if they will work
with just ethernet WAN side and no authentication at all.

hasve a look for routers NOT labelled as ADSL, bog standard non-ADSL routers
all have ethernet WAN ports. Sometimes sold as Cable/DSL routers. Linksys,
Belkin, Negear, Vigor to name but a few all sell them.

P.

Old February 26th 08, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:13:34 UTC, "Flyer" wrote:

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Can anyone recommend a router that has plain ol' ethernet on the WAN
port? WIFI would be a bonus. I have had a Google around and can only
find a) things no longer available or b) have some dire user reviews.
I initially thought that any "cable" router would do, but after
downloading a few manuals it is not at all clear if they will work
with just ethernet WAN side and no authentication at all.

hasve a look for routers NOT labelled as ADSL, bog standard non-ADSL routers
all have ethernet WAN ports. Sometimes sold as Cable/DSL routers. Linksys,
Belkin, Negear, Vigor to name but a few all sell them.

Thanks Guys, I knew I needed a non ADSL one, but the question remains
will they do bog standard ethernet on the WAN side with no
authentication? Some, judging by the manuals, may not.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old February 26th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Dave Saville wrote:
[...]

They will all do so, you just leave blank any log in settings. It
worked that way with my first 3 routers when I was on Diamond Cable
(remember those good old days) & NTL.

Old February 26th 08, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Old February 26th 08, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Saville wrote:
Can anyone recommend a router that has plain ol' ethernet on the WAN
port? WIFI would be a bonus. I have had a Google around and can only
find a) things no longer available or b) have some dire user reviews.
I initially thought that any "cable" router would do, but after
downloading a few manuals it is not at all clear if they will work
with just ethernet WAN side and no authentication at all.

TIA

Many small ciscos will do this..do you mean you want an Ethernet to
Etherenet or Ethernet to wifi router?

Not sure what you mean by authentication either.

Old February 26th 08, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Saville wrote:
[...]

I don't understand the question. If its Ethernet, what is there to
authenticate?

Authentication belongs with PPP etc. Not Ethernet.

Een if you are e.g. connection to a WAN cable modem, its in THAT the
authentication takes place Not the router.
Old February 26th 08, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

[...]

Yes, I've used Netgear & Belkin with Nynex/C&W/NTL/VM, all have the ability
to authenticate on the WAN conection, but like kraftee says,leave it blank,
just the way NTL like it ;-)

P.

Old February 26th 08, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

I don't understand the question. If its Ethernet, what is there to
authenticate?

Authentication belongs with PPP etc. Not Ethernet.

PPoE applies in the US, not sure if UK cableco's used it?