Cable for FXO connections (SPA-3102)

Old February 27th 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

Default Cable for FXO connections (SPA-3102)

I've got several RJ11 to UK (socket) adapters for connecting phones to
an ATA's FXS port.

Can someone please advise if they are the correct cable type (with the
addition of a gender changer M-M cable) for connection of the FXO port
of a SPA-3102 to my regular PSTN phone line.

Just don't want to fry anything or maybe find the capacitor in the
RJ11 lead isn't needed.

If it's _not_ the right cable type, then what is? I have a few RJ11-
UK (plug) leads from old modems (e.g. as delivered with laptops) but
they aren't all the same. There are at least two variants I've come
across.

TIA

Old February 27th 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al

"Mark" wrote in message
I've got several RJ11 to UK (socket) adapters for connecting phones to
an ATA's FXS port.

Can someone please advise if they are the correct cable type (with the
addition of a gender changer M-M cable) for connection of the FXO port
of a SPA-3102 to my regular PSTN phone line.

Just don't want to fry anything or maybe find the capacitor in the
RJ11 lead isn't needed.

If it's _not_ the right cable type, then what is? I have a few RJ11-
UK (plug) leads from old modems (e.g. as delivered with laptops) but
they aren't all the same. There are at least two variants I've come
across.

TIA

SPA 102 uses the 2 centre pins of the RJ 11
Some phone/modem/ ordless adapter RJ11 uses outer pair, some use inner. You
have probably got some of each in your collection. Maybe even some crossed
ones. Be aware.
In this case it is centre pair.

Can always crimps some plugs on for you if you get stuck.
HTH

Al

Old February 28th 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Al wrote:
SPA 102 uses the 2 centre pins of the RJ 11
Some phone/modem/ ordless adapter RJ11 uses outer pair, some use inner. You
have probably got some of each in your collection. Maybe even some crossed
ones. Be aware.
In this case it is centre pair.

Supposedly the ring capacitor /is/ required. These ones work for me:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370
(pennies if you're already ordering from them)

Theo
Old February 28th 08, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Mark wrote:
I've got several RJ11 to UK (socket) adapters for connecting phones to
an ATA's FXS port.

Can someone please advise if they are the correct cable type (with the
addition of a gender changer M-M cable) for connection of the FXO port
of a SPA-3102 to my regular PSTN phone line.

Just don't want to fry anything or maybe find the capacitor in the
RJ11 lead isn't needed.

If it's _not_ the right cable type, then what is? I have a few RJ11-
UK (plug) leads from old modems (e.g. as delivered with laptops) but
they aren't all the same. There are at least two variants I've come
across.

TIA

The correct cables connect pins 2 and 5 of the BT socket to the
inner-most two pins on the rj11 connector.

You don't need a ring capacitor on an FXO port, only on an FXS where you
are connecting a phone which sometimes need this ring capacitor.

You can use this:

http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=61

along with the rj-11 cable that should have come with the SPA3102.
(Product also available from other shops etc...etc... ).

cheers,
Paul.
Old February 28th 08, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Theo Markettos wrote:
Supposedly the ring capacitor /is/ required. These ones work for me:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370
(pennies if you're already ordering from them)

Oops, I got my FXO/FXI mixed up. The above is for connecting phones to the
SPA, not the SPA to the PSTN.

Theo
Old February 28th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Theo Markettos wrote:
Supposedly the ring capacitor /is/ required. These ones work for me:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370
(pennies if you're already ordering from them)

Oops, I got my FXO/FXI mixed up. The above is for connecting phones to the
SPA, not the SPA to the PSTN.

Interestingly, I also bought one of those with my Sipura the other day,
and it is NOT required. The SPA comes with an RJ11 to BT socket adaptor
and that works fine. (The BB product stops my phone, connected to the SPA,
working at all. No ring. No dialtone. Nothing.)

Chris
Old February 28th 08, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Chris Davies wrote:
The SPA comes with an RJ11 to BT socket adaptor
and that works fine.
Chris

that depends where you buy it from.

Linksys themselves don't supply any adaptors to their resellers.

cheers,
Paul.
Old February 28th 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Chris Davies wrote:
Interestingly, I also bought one of those with my Sipura the other day,
and it is NOT required. The SPA comes with an RJ11 to BT socket adaptor
and that works fine. (The BB product stops my phone, connected to the SPA,
working at all. No ring. No dialtone. Nothing.)

Interesting. Which Sipura? I bought an SPA3102 from them in December and
they didn't supply an adaptor so it did need one (I bought two, mistakenly
thinking it had two FXI ports).

Theo
Old February 28th 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Theo Markettos wrote:
Interesting. Which Sipura? I bought an SPA3102 from them in December and
they didn't supply an adaptor [...]

SPA 3102. Strange, eh!
Chris