Complete Newby setting up SPA3102

Old February 27th 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim..

Default Complete Newby setting up SPA3102

Hi all.

I am struggling in the dark somewhat with my 3102. (has been returned to
factory settings, and firmware 5.1)

My set up is Netgear DG834 Switch - SPA 3102.
- PC's
- network
printers etc.

I do not use the LAN port on the 3102. (perhaps i should?)

The DG834 assigns does not assign any DHCP IP's- they are all set manually.

The SPA3102 is at 192.168.0.21 (or was)

I had managed to enter my voipcheap info correctly but it could not
register, thus was defaulted to the PSTN line.

I then played with the WAN DHCP mode, which can have NAT / Bridge / Auto as
I think the 3102 should be passive so set it to Bridge..

This resulted in the voip line springing into action, but now i cant reach
the 3102 on its login IP.

HELP!!!

Also, how / where do you choose which line you dial on when you pick up the
phone.

Much help appreciated!

Tim..

Old February 27th 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al

"Tim.." wrote in message
[...]

I don't use them myself so would be unfair to wade in but this helpful chap
has written a simple guide.
http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/spa_3102_guide.pdf
Have a look and see where you have gone wrong.

IP scanner is good for finding what an IP has living there.

Al

Old February 27th 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

After serious thinking Tim.. wrote :
HELP!!!

http://www.provu.co.uk/support_SPA-3102_SPA-3000.html

Old February 28th 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Tim.. wrote:
Hi all.

I am struggling in the dark somewhat with my 3102. (has been returned to
factory settings, and firmware 5.1)

My set up is Netgear DG834 Switch - SPA 3102.
- PC's
- network
printers etc.

I do not use the LAN port on the 3102. (perhaps i should?)

You don't have to. Here you're probably lacking in QoS at the router (don't
think the DG834 does it) but unless you use the other PCs heavily when
calling it shouldn't be a problem.

I had managed to enter my voipcheap info correctly but it could not
register, thus was defaulted to the PSTN line.

I then played with the WAN DHCP mode, which can have NAT / Bridge / Auto as
I think the 3102 should be passive so set it to Bridge..

This resulted in the voip line springing into action, but now i cant reach
the 3102 on its login IP.

The manual gives you various codes you can type into a phone to find
out/change the IP address and other network settings. If you give the 3102
a fixed IP that's fine, but I think bridge mode is not what you want. I'd
stick with the setup you had before. I think leaving it in NAT mode should
be what you want (after all, if you have nothing on the 3102's LAN port
there's nothing for it to NAT but it does mean it has a real IP address).

Also, how / where do you choose which line you dial on when you pick up the
phone.

In the dialplan:
:@gw0 means 'dial the PSTN'
:@gwN means 'dial VOIP line N' where N is 1-4

You can set up some simple rules like

#1xx.:@gw1 means any number of two digits or more (xx.) prefixed with #1
(#1) will dial via provider 1 (:@gw1)

If you put in a default rule at the end of the dialplan (the above without
the #1, say) then all calls that don't match any other rule will be sent to
that provider.

(Dialplan syntax is off the top of my head, check the JMG Technology guide
in case I've got it slightly wrong)

Theo
Old February 28th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim..

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
Tim.. wrote:
[...]

Many thanks all,

I have IP scanned and the 3102 doesnt show up (possibly because its in
transparent bridge mode??) so I cant access it! Using the voice menu on the
phone and asking for its IP gives it as 192.168.0.21, but its not there!!

I have just made two VOIP calls as-is, so its working fine, but i can't
configure any PSTN dial plans, so looks like a factory reset is in order and
begin again!! Most annoying.

Tim..

Old February 28th 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

Tim.. wrote:
[...]

You have to enable the web interface.

I think from the handeset dial **** 7932#1#1 (listen to what it says
7932 is the right code but I might have the hashes wrong)

[...]

There is a lot of info at:
www.provu.co.uk
and
http://www.leafcom.co.uk

My SPA3102 uses the 3.3.6 GW firmware which allows UK impedance options not
in 5.1

A few things which might help.

Enable "Web Interface" as detailed above.
Connect the "Lan Interface" to your Router or Switch

Click the Router Setup Tab
Set "Internet Connection Type" to DHCP

Click on "Lan Setup"
Set "Networking Service": to NAT
Set DHCP server to No

If you do not enable "Remote Management" Web server and try setting the LAN
IP address, the unit can and might change to something like 192.168."2".x
instead of 192.168."0".x after it reboots.
This can make things difficult when you try to reconnect to it :-)

FWIW
Here is my Dialplan:

:@gw4|:Local_Area_Code[2-8]xx.:@gw3|:0141[2-8]xx.:@gw3|07:00447xx.:@gw4|15[01]:@gw0|1471:@gw0|1571:121:@gw1|#1:xx.:@g w1|#2:xx.:@gw2|#3:xx.:@gw3|#4:xx.:@gw4 |#9:xx.:@gw0|00:00xxxxx.:@gw3|*xx.:@gw3 |xx.:@gw3)

It uses VoIP.co.uk (gw1) for incoming calls,
Voipcheap.com (gw3) for free outgoing calls
and Justvoip (gw4) for calls to Mobiles.

It was gleamed from the resources above and the "uk.telecom.voip" newsgroup.

It works for me even though there are probably errors in it so you are free
to pick holes in it.

My first SPA3102 died pretty quick but this one seems to be OK.

Hope it helps
Alan

[...]

Just three things I will add that may prove useful to you after you
have got the basics working.

1. I use a program called 'NewSipuraUtil.exe' It is a, GUI based,
settings backup program.
I use it with my SPA-3000 and I have backed up an SPA-3102 but must
confess I haven't had the need to use it to restore - I used it on a
friend's ATA.
You have to take out the admin/user passwords of your ATA settings
before backing up. So, what this tool enables you to do is back up all
your settings and also to restore them in the event that you muck them
up whilst experimenting with the box. It won't restore any voip
provider passwords however. So, you will have to enter them again for
each voip provider. Just one warning: Make sure that the file stored
for the settings is reasonably large after backing up - and not just
1k. Sometimes the program indicates tht it has backed up and hasn't.
In this case close down the program, reopen it again and do another
backup.

2. Info. re dial plan, to be accessed only from a private home
computer, i.e. not from work (there is a good reason for this).
www.leafcom.co.uk

3. This may have been mentioned before, in this thread and I have
missed it, but somewhere on voxilla.com there are the UK regional
settings. Look out for SPA-3000 which is virtually the same as the
SPA-3102 in regard to voip settings.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old February 29th 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

It happens that Brian A formulated :
2. Info. re dial plan, to be accessed only from a private home
computer, i.e. not from work (there is a good reason for this).
www.leafcom.co.uk

hehe.....if you want to avoid the firewall logging your access to a
site about foreskins, you're not wrong :-)