Sky anyone? Leaving Poopex/Trashcali

Old February 28th 08, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

Default Sky anyone? Leaving Poopex/Trashcali

Hi again, see previous post re Weird Timed dropouts, and several others re
problems with Pipex / Tiscali. My dropouts are still going on six days
later, and I finally received a standard email from Pipex:

""Due to technical upgrades that the company is employing to better serve
our customers per area we regret to inform you that some services might be
affected by these instances. We apologize in advance for the hassle due to
these upgrades....""

Standard response, no indication of solving the problem, totally crap
really. And, I nearly forgot to mention, the speed during my precious 4
minutes on is very, very bad during the rush hour evening!

So I'm looking at Sky, since I have the TV and the offer looks good.

Anyone got any comments, good or bad?

Barb

Old February 28th 08, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Barb wrote:
Hi again, see previous post re Weird Timed dropouts, and several others re
problems with Pipex / Tiscali. My dropouts are still going on six days
later, and I finally received a standard email from Pipex:

""Due to technical upgrades that the company is employing to better serve
our customers per area we regret to inform you that some services might be
affected by these instances. We apologize in advance for the hassle due to
these upgrades....""

Standard response, no indication of solving the problem, totally crap
really. And, I nearly forgot to mention, the speed during my precious 4
minutes on is very, very bad during the rush hour evening!

So I'm looking at Sky, since I have the TV and the offer looks good.

Anyone got any comments, good or bad?

You are the living proof that there's one born every minute ;-)

Barb

Old February 28th 08, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

Very helpful, NatPhil.... thanks.
Barb

You are the living proof that there's one born every minute ;-)

Old February 28th 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Barb wrote:
Very helpful, NatPhil.... thanks.
Barb

You are the living proof that there's one born every minute ;-)

I think what he means is that no-one minds answering questions and most
people will be helpful - as long as you don't want to be spoon-fed and are
willing to do some of the work yourself.

If you care to scroll down a few of the messages in this group, just two
days ago, on the 26th, someone asked that very same question - subject
heading "Sky Broadband opinions please", started by "eadg" and there are
currently about 27 messages in the thread. I haven't looked at the content
because I'm not thinking of going to Sky but it may help you - and I'm sure
you'll find even more opinions on Sky if you just look back a little
further.

John

Old February 28th 08, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:
Barb wrote:
Very helpful, NatPhil.... thanks.
Barb

You are the living proof that there's one born every minute ;-)

I think what he means is that no-one minds answering questions and most
people will be helpful - as long as you don't want to be spoon-fed and are
willing to do some of the work yourself.

If you care to scroll down a few of the messages in this group, just two
days ago, on the 26th, someone asked that very same question - subject
heading "Sky Broadband opinions please", started by "eadg" and there are
currently about 27 messages in the thread. I haven't looked at the content
because I'm not thinking of going to Sky but it may help you - and I'm sure
you'll find even more opinions on Sky if you just look back a little
further.

John

No what I meant was that of all the complaints in this group, in order
of most gripes, its Pipex, Tiscali, and Sky..

In other words, why jump out of the frying pan into the fire?
Old February 28th 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

John wrote:
Barb wrote:
[...]

I have Sky and am more than happy with it.

Old February 28th 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher

"diy-newby" wrote in message ...

John wrote:
Barb wrote:
[...]

critcher said...................

used to be lot of complaints about sky bb, don't see many now.
I find the service for 10.00 very good indeed.
Uptime is nearly 800 hours.

Old February 28th 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LP

Barb wrote:

Anyone got any comments, good or bad?

I've been with sky for the past three months on the medium 8Mb package
(5/month). I benefit from being just down the road from the exchange.
In the past I've been with eclipse, metronet, MAAF and adsl24.

The broadband service from sky is first class (don't have any need for
customer services). No drop outs and full speed at just about every time
of the day.
Old February 28th 08, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark

On 28 Feb, 11:36, "Barb" wrote:
Hi again, see previous post re Weird Timed dropouts, and several others re
problems with Pipex / Tiscali. *My dropouts are still going on six days
later, and I finally received a standard email from Pipex:

""Due to technical upgrades that the company is employing to better serve
our customers per area we regret to inform you that some services might be
affected by these instances. We apologize in advance for the hassle due to
these upgrades....""

Standard response, no indication of solving the problem, totally crap
really. *And, I nearly forgot to mention, *the speed during my precious 4
minutes on is very, very bad during the rush hour evening!

So I'm looking at Sky, since I have the TV and the offer looks good.

Anyone got any comments, good or bad?

Barb

if you have a switch maestro card or what ever registered with them ..

to pay your monthly bills

make sure you call the bank up and cancel that card and order a new
card the same day you leave ..

or they will keep on drawing out of your bank account

this happened to me ....and i cant get the money out of them

went like this .....

asked for mac code on or round about November ..

on 17 December ...i was with adsl24 .......

phoned pipex up to cancel

cancellation accepted ...........

and was assured that account was closed ...and my card number was
deactivated

on or about the 7th of Jan .......they debited my account ...with a
full month ......

only found out this after i got my bank statement on the 19th

phoned pipex up ......

was assured that i would be re-enbursed the money within two weeks .

two weeks rolled by

no money ......

phoned up again ...
they say sorry ...its a month not 2 weeks ...

another two weeks roll by ...

phone up.......

and they say oh sorry our mistake ........we will get a cheque to you
soon as possible ...
another week and still no cheque ......

phone up today ...............they say it will be another 6 weeks
before i get the cheque ...

during the conversations ........they said if i gave them my new card
number .they would re-enburse me strait away ........not bloody
likely ...not with their track record ......they would start debiting
my account again ...not re-enbursing it .

They were reported to the trading standards today...im waiting on the
trading standards to start action.

we will see how it goes ...and weather i ever see my money again .

all the best.....mark

Old February 28th 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pd

mark wrote:

[...]

I've been with Pipex for over ten years, and they've got worse and worse
and worse. When they were taken over by Tiscali, my 4000 kbps average
dropped to 400 kbps. Eventually got that sorted, but then BT sent me a
letter saying we're sorry you're leaving.

I rang them, said I wasn't leaving. They said Pipex had taken over my
phone calls. I said no they haven't, and cancelled whatever takeover
Pipex were doing. Also decided a 2GB cap was silly, so time to jump
ship.

Called them up, got my MAC. They said they'd have to charge me 143
because I was on a new 12 month contract, because I'd upgraded to the
phone calls inclusive package. I said no I bloody haven't. They said
they'd let me off just this once, and wouldn't charge the cancellation
fee.

Then they charged the cancellation fee of 143.

I cancelled their direct debit, they sent me an email threatening to set
their credit control attack dogs on me for not paying my monthly fee.

They've agreed to reimburse the 143, but I'm still waiting. We'll see.

--
Pd