Low router throughputs (WAN-LAN)

Old February 28th 08, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rick Marks

Default Low router throughputs (WAN-LAN)

I discovered recently that my VoIP router (SPA-3102) and its
predecessor (SPA-2100) can't route from WAN-LAN faster than about
7.5Mbps. The latter not helped by only having 10Mbps Ethernet
interfaces.

Looking at Tomshardware guide (search for the router charts) it seems
that quite a lot other plain routers, wired and wireless, don't fare
much better. By and large you seem to get what you pay for.

So if you have high speed ISP service, say above 8Mbps, check out your
hardware to see if it's a weak link in your chain.

Old March 3rd 08, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Rick Marks wrote:
I discovered recently that my VoIP router (SPA-3102) and its
predecessor (SPA-2100) can't route from WAN-LAN faster than about
7.5Mbps. The latter not helped by only having 10Mbps Ethernet
interfaces.

10Mbps of ethernet does not mean you will get 10Mbps of IP, because of
the overhead of the protocol stack.

For starters, every Ethernet frame has a 53 byte lead in.

Tim