Anyone called Belkin Support

Old February 29th 08, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Anyone called Belkin Support

When I called them years ago they were great.

When I called this morning I got through instantly but felt like throwing
the phone through the window in frustration. First attempt I could hardly
hear the guy, couldn't understand his accent and was then cut off after
giving all my details. Second attempt I kept connection, had to give all my
details again, couldn't understand the accent and he had never heard of how
my system is set up using homeplugs. He kept asking me to connect direct
from router to PC and I kept telling him the homeplug is the same as having
the cabling he was asking me to do.

He seemed determined to go through a scripted process, kept putting me on
hold and in the end said he was not able to help but a senior technician
would call back in a while - that was 6 hours ago and no one called yet.

I was trying to find out if, what my Zen support guy had told me, that
routers can go past their best and need replacing.

Anyone shed any light on my last sentence and forgive my moaning in the rest
of the post.

Ken

Old February 29th 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Ken Reply to NG only wrote:

I was trying to find out if, what my Zen support guy had told me, that
routers can go past their best and need replacing.

Electronics can. Especially ones with electrolytic capacitors in them,
or ones mass-produced with maybe some marginal solder joints that got
through the QA process, etc... Then a few years of powered up in a
household, and one day it decided to just stop working.

I've had a few cheap bits of "consumer" kit die on my in recent years.
They certinaly shouldn't "wear out", but maybe that's a sign of cheap,
bulk manufacture... I've also had a rather expensive DLink rack
mount switch die on me - power supply failure (those electrolytic caps
again - probably)

Then again, I have an old "transistor" radio that must be 30 years old.
Maybe they just don't make them like they used to!

Gordon
Old February 29th 08, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
When I called them years ago they were great.

I was trying to find out if, what my Zen support guy had told me, that
routers can go past their best and need replacing.

Anyone shed any light on my last sentence and forgive my moaning in the
rest of the post.

Ken

Can you connect to the router from your PC? If you can then don't tell the
Belkin man that you are using a homeplug! However if you can't then you
really need to take the homeplug out of the equation before you contact
Belkin by either moving your PC or using a long ethernet cable (I've got a
couple of 20m cables for just this scenario), it could be a router fault or
a homeplug failure, both can and do fail and it's not unreasonable for
Belkin support to try and get you to connect directly, they are not
responsible for fault finding your network connections.

Peter

Old February 29th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
.uk...

[...]

Had a total of 3 chats with Belkin and the senior technician called after my
OP. When he asked if had a wired or wireless connection I said wired.
Easier!!! The upshot was he said he felt the problem was not the router and
I offered to borrow a friends, almost new spare router, and run for a week
to see how it fared. He said if the new router worked better he would
arrange a brand new replacement router for my current one which is under a
Lifetime Guarantee. He said if the borrowed router was the same as my
existing one he felt the ISP should sort out.

Ken

Old February 29th 08, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
Had a total of 3 chats with Belkin and the senior technician called after
my OP. When he asked if had a wired or wireless connection I said wired.
Easier!!! The upshot was he said he felt the problem was not the router
and I offered to borrow a friends, almost new spare router, and run for a
week to see how it fared. He said if the new router worked better he would
arrange a brand new replacement router for my current one which is under a
Lifetime Guarantee. He said if the borrowed router was the same as my
existing one he felt the ISP should sort out.

Ken

My experience of Belkin is very good as well. They are the only offshored
tech support I have found to be really good.

Old February 29th 08, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Ken Reply to NG only wrote:
my system is set up using homeplugs. He kept asking me to connect direct
from router to PC and I kept telling him the homeplug is the same as having
the cabling he was asking me to do.

Bzzt, wrong answer. When working with someone who has a script, always
make sure you give the expected answer that moves you on to the next
stage. Repeat after me... "You don't have homeplug, you have a direct
connection. You can see the flashing lights when you plug in the cable
from the router and PC, both of which are next to you.

:-(

Chris
Old March 1st 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

"Chris Davies" wrote in message
Ken Reply to NG only wrote:
my system is set up using homeplugs. He kept asking me to connect direct
from router to PC and I kept telling him the homeplug is the same as
having
the cabling he was asking me to do.

Bzzt, wrong answer. When working with someone who has a script, always
make sure you give the expected answer that moves you on to the next
stage. Repeat after me... "You don't have homeplug, you have a direct
connection. You can see the flashing lights when you plug in the cable
from the router and PC, both of which are next to you.

:-(

Chris

Sounds like the time VM refused to support me until I had connected the PC
directly to the cable modem. Told them I wasn't prepared to run the
security risk. They would only refer me to their PC support line at
squillions of pounds per sec...

Old March 3rd 08, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Olive

My experience of Belkin is very good as well. They are the only offshored
tech support I have found to be really good.

Agreed, I've phoned a couple of times and always been very impressed.
Old March 3rd 08, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"Steve Olive" wrote in message

My experience of Belkin is very good as well. They are the only offshored
tech support I have found to be really good.

Agreed, I've phoned a couple of times and always been very impressed.

Must get the name of the person you spoke to as I was most unimpressed. I
feel it is bloody annoying to have to ask the person to repeat themselves
time and time again as I just can't understand their accents. Equally bloody
annoying to be asked to repeat myself to them time and time again. Each of
the three people I spoke to on the same day were all similarly unable to
express themselves clearly.

Sorry but not impressed at all.

Ken