Anyone recommend a Newreader ?

Old February 29th 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Anyone recommend a Newreader ?

Anyone recommend a Newreader ?

Needs to work on Vista.

There's got to be a better solution to using Google...hasn't there ?

Jim.
Old February 29th 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 29/02/2008 in message

wrote:

Anyone recommend a Newreader ?

Needs to work on Vista.

It's very much a personal choice but I really like XanaNews:
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

It's one of the very few genuine off-line news readers, it's free, the
source is available, it has its own news group - I have never found
anything I like better. I particularly like the thread colouring so I can
see immediately if there is activity in a thread I am following. For
instance once this is posted this thread will be coloured blue, and if
anybody replies directly to my post it will be coloured Fuschia (you can
choose your own colours). I have run it on Vista but I don't install it in
Program Files. I'll ask in the support group if anybody is running it on
Vista.

There's got to be a better solution to using Google...hasn't there ?

Banging your head against a wall beats Google Groups!

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
Old February 29th 08, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jeff Gaines wrote:

On 29/02/2008 in message

wrote:

Anyone recommend a Newreader ?

Needs to work on Vista.

It's very much a personal choice but I really like XanaNews:
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

It's one of the very few genuine off-line news readers

Why would someone using BROADBAND (see the group name) need an *off* line news
reader ?

Graham

Old February 29th 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 29/02/2008 in message Eeyore wrote:

Why would someone using BROADBAND (see the group name) need an off line
news
reader ?

I think I would describe it as latency. I use NIN which requires
authentication so every time I pull a post down there is a delay to
authenticate, using an online news reader is a pain to me. I know which
groups I want to read and pull them all down in one.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
Old February 29th 08, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jeff Gaines wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Why would someone using BROADBAND (see the group name) need an off line
news reader ?

I think I would describe it as latency. I use NIN which requires
authentication so every time I pull a post down there is a delay to
authenticate, using an online news reader is a pain to me. I know which
groups I want to read and pull them all down in one.

Well ...... Netscape has NONE of those issues.

It's as simple as email.

Graham