Lose internet after every powerdown .. !

Old March 1st 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Lose internet after every powerdown .. !

hi

I've just setup cable broadband for someone, with cable modem &
Linksys WRT54GS wireless router (which also has printer connected).
It's basically a wired network, using Linksys as junction box for
modem ethernet cable & printer (although the Wii uses wireless
network).

Everytime I turn the plug off at wall (e.g. at night) and then turn
everything on again the next day, I get connection to the wired
network but NO INTERNET.

I have to do the old "turning off modem & router, then turning them
back on again" routine (whilst PC is on) to get reconnected to
internet.

This is obviously less than ideal..

Anyone know why this happens & how, if possible, it could be avoided.

We don't want to leave the modem & router on all the time.

thanks
Old March 1st 08, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 1 Mar, 17:02, Abo wrote:
wrote:
hi

I've just setup cable broadband for someone, with cable modem &
Linksys WRT54GS wireless router (which also has printer connected).
It's basically a wired network, using Linksys as junction box for
modem ethernet cable & printer (although the Wii uses wireless
network).
We don't want to leave the modem & router on all the time.

Why? Why not leave the router on, then they don't have to remember to
switch it on to use the Wii, any laptops etc. etc. I can't see any value
in switching the router off other than to save a small amount of
electricity.

--
Abo

It's the person involved - they hate leaving things switched on at
mains (fire risk etc.)
Old March 1st 08, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

: : On 1 Mar, 17:02, Abo wrote:
: : : wrote:
: : : : hi
: : :
: : : : I've just setup cable broadband for someone, with
: : : : cable modem & Linksys WRT54GS wireless router
: : : : (which also has printer connected). It's basically
: : : : a wired network, using Linksys as junction box for
: : : : modem ethernet cable & printer (although the Wii
: : : : uses wireless network).
: : : : We don't want to leave the modem & router on all
: : : : the time.
: : :
: : : Why? Why not leave the router on, then they don't
: : : have to remember to switch it on to use the Wii, any
: : : laptops etc. etc. I can't see any value in switching
: : : the router off other than to save a small amount of
: : : electricity.
: :
: : It's the person involved - they hate leaving things
: : switched on at mains (fire risk etc.)

Hmm. My mum's a bit like that but even she understands the need to leave
things switched on that *need* to be switched on.

FWIW where I work I think I'm the only one who switches my PC off when I
leave..! I do have two servers that have to stay on all the time as they
need to be accessible when I'm not there, but my personal machine and all
the monitors go off.

In the main office they leave *everything* on, including the monitor for
the CCTV system. When I switched it off once, the screen burn was so bad I
could still read the writing for the captions for each camera..! They told
me that they had been told never to switch it off. While that's obvious
for a CCTV system that's constantly recording to a hard drive, they could
surely switch the monitor off when there's nobody there to watch it..! I
told them the only time I ever had anything catch fire it was a CRT
monitor; fortunately I was there and managed to deal with it, but ever
since monitors go off when I leave the room for more than a few minutes.

There is little or no fire risk from a router though.

Ivor

Old March 1st 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:
On 1 Mar, 17:02, Abo wrote:
wrote:
hi

I've just setup cable broadband for someone, with cable modem &
Linksys WRT54GS wireless router (which also has printer connected).
It's basically a wired network, using Linksys as junction box for
modem ethernet cable & printer (although the Wii uses wireless
network).
We don't want to leave the modem & router on all the time.

Why? Why not leave the router on, then they don't have to remember to
switch it on to use the Wii, any laptops etc. etc. I can't see any
value in switching the router off other than to save a small amount
of electricity.

--
Abo

It's the person involved - they hate leaving things switched on at
mains (fire risk etc.)

Well, I was going to ask why as well. My trusty old BT Voyager 2091 Wireless
Router unfortunately went to router heaven when the wireless side started to
go intermittently faulty and I had to replace it, but before that it was
showing an uptime of 637days 15hours and a few minutes. These things, like
fridges, freezers, video recorders and the like, are *designed* to be on all
the time - they don't switch those off as well, do they?

Anyway, it's their decision, so the only thing I can suggest is that they
use the proper start-up routine, ie, cable modem on first. When all lights
stop flashing (maybe the "data" light will carry on flashing) and it's
stable (may be a minute or two) then turn on the Linksys router. Again, when
all lights stop flashing and it's stable, then you can turn on whatever
devices are required and all should be well.

John

Old March 1st 08, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:
wrote:
On 1 Mar, 17:02, Abo wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes,. Its likely that things that dish out DHCP may take longer to come
up than things that want DHCP to come up properly..

It might be worth setting all the PCS and router up manually with static
IP addresses and hard wried DNS and the like.
Old March 2nd 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

thanks folks

yep, the problem appears to be router powering up at the same time as
modem (everything shares the same mains plug - unavoidable I'm afraid)

so she is going to have to just leave the router power lead unplugged
when PC is turned off, then reconnect once modem has "synced" ....
every time she wants to use the internet

still, she's happy to do this rather than leave it on all the time !
Old March 2nd 08, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

wrote in message
thanks folks

yep, the problem appears to be router powering up at the same time as
modem (everything shares the same mains plug - unavoidable I'm afraid)

so she is going to have to just leave the router power lead unplugged
when PC is turned off, then reconnect once modem has "synced" ....
every time she wants to use the internet

still, she's happy to do this rather than leave it on all the time !

Just shows what sort of hassle people are prepared to put up with, even
though leaving the router/modem on all the time, as they are designed to be,
would eliminate this hassle.