T1 leased line costs?

Old March 1st 08, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default T1 leased line costs?

About how much would a 1.5 Mbps T1 leased line cost per year?

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old March 1st 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
About how much would a 1.5 Mbps T1 leased line cost per year?

T1s are normally only available in N America and Japan, although you might
be able get in the UK somewhere.

Euro / EMEA / Asia equivalent is an E1 - 2.048 Mbps.

In the UK BT cost is dependent on where the ends will be and whether you
need new access into the sites. You can get lines from other telcos who
operate an SDH network - but they follow a similar charging scheme.

There is a basic cost for each end, then cost per Km for straight line
distance (with some break points) - but you are unlikely to get even a short
line without spending 1000s on both install and yearly rental.

BT pricing page:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/p....htm#1286-d0e5

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old March 1st 08, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

stephen wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
About how much would a 1.5 Mbps T1 leased line cost per year?

T1s are normally only available in N America and Japan, although you
might be able get in the UK somewhere.

Euro / EMEA / Asia equivalent is an E1 - 2.048 Mbps.

In the UK BT cost is dependent on where the ends will be and whether
you need new access into the sites. You can get lines from other
telcos who operate an SDH network - but they follow a similar
charging scheme.

There is a basic cost for each end, then cost per Km for straight line
distance (with some break points) - but you are unlikely to get even
a short line without spending 1000s on both install and yearly
rental.

BT pricing page:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/p....htm#1286-d0e5

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost the BBC
to send compressed versions of its radio stations to the company it uses to
distribute its Internet radio streams.

Actually, I overestimated how much bandwidth was required, because it's only
660 kbps and not 1.5 Mbps (I had allowed double what they need to provide a
backup streams and rounded it up to 1.5 Mbps, but they don't need to use a
backup stream because they can use what they're doing at the moment as a
backup stream, which is that they're receiving the BBC's radio stations
off-air via satellite and then recompressing to Real Player format).

I'm less interested in the setup costs, to be honest, because they're only
one-off costs, and it's the yearly rental I'm most interested in.

Also, is a leased line the best and most cost-effective way to do this?

Old March 1st 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
About how much would a 1.5 Mbps T1 leased line cost per year?

They don't exist in this country. You want an E1.

Last time I checked was about 11 grand a year..some 4-5 years ago.
Old March 1st 08, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

stephen wrote:
[...]

Not a lot. In the grand scheme of things.

Actually, I overestimated how much bandwidth was required, because it's only
660 kbps and not 1.5 Mbps (I had allowed double what they need to provide a
backup streams and rounded it up to 1.5 Mbps, but they don't need to use a
backup stream because they can use what they're doing at the moment as a
backup stream, which is that they're receiving the BBC's radio stations
off-air via satellite and then recompressing to Real Player format).

I'm less interested in the setup costs, to be honest, because they're only
one-off costs, and it's the yearly rental I'm most interested in.

the setup used to be about 3 grand to lay in fibre, and about 5 grand
for the line..plus internet access costs..if its a straight link between
two points, geta quote from e.g. BT..used to be cvalled 'megastream'

Also, is a leased line the best and most cost-effective way to do this?

Its more the only way really.
Its about the only 'consumer level' thing that you can buy..

Old March 2nd 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

stephen wrote:
[...]

I think you will find this is likely to follow the same route as the video
stuff if it for the main distribution channels, so effectively will vanish
in the noise of the existing bandwidth use.

Even if not, then adding more bandwidth on an existing path will be a
different conversation.

However - where does 660 Kbps come from? 7 national channels, and lots of
variations for all that local radio, the other language channels for wales
etc - even with per stream compression that seems low (and it might not be
compressed at that point?....)

Finally - is it real time, or would they send files for playout? (or both of
course).

I'm less interested in the setup costs, to be honest, because they're

only
one-off costs, and it's the yearly rental I'm most interested in.

the setup used to be about 3 grand to lay in fibre, and about 5 grand
for the line..plus internet access costs..if its a straight link between
two points, geta quote from e.g. BT..used to be cvalled 'megastream'

Note - BT have this thing called "excess construction charges" which seems
to come up on many installs.

If you are lucky there will be a spare port on the existing plant at each
end.

Old March 2nd 08, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

2nd try.

stephen wrote:
[...]

existing BBC plumbing info
http://support.bbc.co.uk/support/network/

more structure info

Old March 2nd 08, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

2nd try.

stephen wrote:
[...]

The servers are based in Maidenhead, which is one of the main blocks on that
map. So you'd imagine that there will already be high bandwidth links in
place, so do you think it's fair to say that the cost of getting 660 kbps to
Maidenhead could probably just be absorbed into teh current links?

Old March 2nd 08, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

stephen wrote:
[...]

That's what I'd have thought as well.

Actually, I overestimated how much bandwidth was required, because
it's only 660 kbps and not 1.5 Mbps (I had allowed double what they
need to provide a backup streams and rounded it up to 1.5 Mbps, but
they don't need to use a backup stream because they can use what
they're doing at the moment as a backup stream, which is that
they're receiving the BBC's radio stations off-air via satellite and
then recompressing to Real Player format). I'm less interested in the
setup costs, to be honest, because
they're only one-off costs, and it's the yearly rental I'm most
interested in.

the setup used to be about 3 grand to lay in fibre, and about 5 grand
for the line..plus internet access costs..if its a straight link
between two points, geta quote from e.g. BT..used to be cvalled
'megastream'

Okay, thanks.

Also, is a leased line the best and most cost-effective way to do
this?

Its more the only way really.
Its about the only 'consumer level' thing that you can buy..

Right.