Thats It now!!

Old March 1st 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Flash

Default Thats It now!!

Hi All
I've just had a letter off BT saying my line rental is now going up! - got
to charge for those free weekend calls somehow eh?
Well thats it for me - i want to ditch BT and go for voip on my Virgin media
cable broadband. I already have a Belkin wireless router, so from what I've
read on forums & usenet, a Linksys SPA2102 or PAP2 seem favourite for the
hardware
Question #1: any significant advantage of either? there is about ten quid
difference in price.

VOIP PROVIDER
If and when I'm happy with voip, I intend to port my BT number over and
ditch BT for good. I hear voip.co.uk will do this free but I just went to
their site and can't see how to register / signup as a domestic user, which
doesn't fill me with confidence in my choice, so Question #2: Can anyone
recomend a good voip provider who will let me keep my BT number?
TIA
Chris.

Old March 1st 08, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Duncan MacCallum

Chris Flash wrote:
[...]

Voip.co.uk dont seem to want residental users ATM...
Old March 1st 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Chris Flash formulated the question :
Hi All
I've just had a letter off BT saying my line rental is now going up! - got to
charge for those free weekend calls somehow eh?
Well thats it for me - i want to ditch BT and go for voip on my Virgin media
cable broadband. I already have a Belkin wireless router, so from what I've
read on forums & usenet, a Linksys SPA2102 or PAP2 seem favourite for the
hardware
Question #1: any significant advantage of either? there is about ten quid
difference in price.

The SPA has a built in ethernet router. Fairly basic router and not
really suitable for the fast(er) cable broadbands. Otherwise, they're
very similar products.

Just beware of the fact that many PAP2s are locked; make sure you buy
one that wasn't supplied originally by, say, Vonage.

VOIP PROVIDER
If and when I'm happy with voip, I intend to port my BT number over and ditch
BT for good. I hear voip.co.uk will do this free but I just went to their
site and can't see how to register / signup as a domestic user, which doesn't
fill me with confidence in my choice, so Question #2: Can anyone recomend a
good voip provider who will let me keep my BT number?
TIA
Chris.

Gradwell, Voipfone

Old March 1st 08, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:59:11 GMT, Duncan MacCallum
wrote:

Chris Flash wrote:
[...]

They have actually stated, in a posting in their own forums, that, as
I read it, they make more money from one business customer than all
their residential customers and that residential customers make more
noise.
I decided not renew, for the present time anyway, because, despite
what they say, I don't think their heart is in it anymore for
residential customers. Even so, there is no reason why you shouldn't
use voip.co.uk for your incoming calls. It is very easy to use other
providers for your outgoing calls. If you go for another provider
you'll have to pay, usually a monthly fee, so I'd question whether you
really need to keep your BT number or if it is easy enough just to
text everyone and tell them your number is changing.

In regard to an ATA, I'd just go for a NEW, UNLOCKED, definitely NOT
Ebay, PAP2 (Jono has warned you and I'm saying the same) and use the
services of voxalot.com. With Voxalot you'll be able to use as many
outgoing providers as you like, forward calls, decide what times you
want to receive calls and when they should be directed to voicemail or
otherwise. You can also do callback if you wish. All the facilities
such as the 'voicemail waiting' indicator, caller number display and
'call waiting all work well using Voxalot.

You have to pay a small fee to Voxalot but I think that it is worth
it. There is mySipSwitch but it doesn't, currently, have the same
facilities as Voxalot.

I'd overlap your BT/Voip for a short while until you are satisfied you
have a reliable working set up. You should also have a mobile phone,
switched on, in a known place, at all times, in case of emergency. If
the broadband goes off you'll have no way of making emergency calls
without a mobile phone. Some providers, voip.co.uk included, do
support 999, but don't expect it to be as good as using a standard
landline.

The easiest way to connect up your ATA to handsets is to have a set of
cordless phones.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old March 2nd 08, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Chris Flash writes
Hi All
I've just had a letter off BT saying my line rental is now going up! - got
to charge for those free weekend calls somehow eh?

It hasn't gone up for me. I have paperfree billing and pay by DD; so NO
increase.

David
Old March 3rd 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Flash

Update: extract from voip.co.uk response:-
We are only able to sign up business users at this time as we do not
currently have a Residential offering - we are to be launching a new
residential offering but this has not yet been released. I don't have any
time-scales but expect it to be a couple of months before these are launched
I'm afraid.

You can become a business customer of VoIP.co.uk and I am happy to discuss
this with you, but I don' think that we'll be competitive at this level.

Chris.

Old March 3rd 08, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Chris Flash wrote:
Update: extract from voip.co.uk response:-
We are only able to sign up business users at this time as we do not
currently have a Residential offering - we are to be launching a new
residential offering but this has not yet been released. I don't have any
time-scales but expect it to be a couple of months before these are launched
I'm afraid.

It's an intersting situation dealing with the residential side of
things... Right now I'm purely dealing with SMEs, but have looked at
resiential users, but ... It's such a hassle dealing with support ...

Great if you get clued-up users, but otherwise ...

And then as the clued-up ones know about the betamax products, you have
to wonder why someone would want something else ...

What did you get from voip.co.uk that you can't get elsewhere?

And more importantly ;-) How much are you willing to pay!

Cheers,

Gordon
Old March 3rd 08, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:49:25 GMT, "Chris Flash" wrote:

VOIP PROVIDER
If and when I'm happy with voip, I intend to port my BT number over and
ditch BT for good. I hear voip.co.uk will do this free but I just went to
their site and can't see how to register / signup as a domestic user, which
doesn't fill me with confidence in my choice,

Been like this since last September/October I get the feeling they do
not want any residential customers anymore .
Old March 4th 08, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

: : On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:49:25 GMT, "Chris Flash"
: : wrote:
: :
: :
: : : VOIP PROVIDER
: : : If and when I'm happy with voip, I intend to port my
: : : BT number over and ditch BT for good. I hear
: : : voip.co.uk will do this free but I just went to their
: : : site and can't see how to register / signup as a
: : : domestic user, which doesn't fill me with confidence
: : : in my choice,
: : Been like this since last September/October I get the
: : feeling they do not want any residential customers
: : anymore .

Why would *any* provider want *you* as a customer, Ron..?

Ivor

Old March 4th 08, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John

In article , Ivor Jones
writes

wrote in message

: : On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:49:25 GMT, "Chris Flash"
: : wrote:
: :
: :
: : : VOIP PROVIDER
: : : If and when I'm happy with voip, I intend to port my
: : : BT number over and ditch BT for good. I hear
: : : voip.co.uk will do this free but I just went to their
: : : site and can't see how to register / signup as a
: : : domestic user, which doesn't fill me with confidence
: : : in my choice,
: : Been like this since last September/October I get the
: : feeling they do not want any residential customers
: : anymore .

Why would *any* provider want *you* as a customer, Ron..?

Ivor

Any issue with the phone and broadband provision when BT is dumped to
join the great free VOIP realm?

--
John Clark