Changing Pairs

Old March 2nd 08, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

Default Changing Pairs

I am dealing with a mate of mines internet. He lives close to the
exchange and people on the same pole as his get some good speeds but
he gets so much lower. I understand that the route that his line takes
could be so much different. But I was thinking of asking his ISP to
change the pairs, but was wondering what they would actually do. Would
they change the pairs at the pole and the exchange so t hat he was was
running on a new pair from his house to the exchange or would they
change something else. The first one would make sense as I believe
that the pairs are matched to phone numbers at the exchange. Thanks
for you help.
Old March 2nd 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 02/03/2008 14:34, naza wrote:

I was thinking of asking his ISP to change the pairs

It's not really up to you (or him) to ask them to do that, if there's a
fault report it, then it's up to the ISP to arrange for it to be fixed,
changing pairs is one option that's availble to them (or rather to
openreach).

If they decide there is a need to change pairs, they can change the pair
from the exchange to the street cabinet, from the cabinet to the pole or
within the dropwire from the pole to the house.
Old March 2nd 08, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 02/03/2008 14:34, naza wrote:

I was thinking of asking his ISP to change the pairs

It's not really up to you (or him) to ask them to do that, if there's a
fault report it, then it's up to the ISP to arrange for it to be fixed,
changing pairs is one option that's availble to them (or rather to
openreach).

If they decide there is a need to change pairs, they can change the pair
from the exchange to the street cabinet, from the cabinet to the pole or
within the dropwire from the pole to the house.

And they'll only do any of that if they find they really have to.
BT/Openreach own the network and will reserve the right to fix faults in the
way that they decide.

George

Old March 2nd 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"naza" wrote in message
I am dealing with a mate of mines internet. He lives close to the
exchange and people on the same pole as his get some good speeds but
he gets so much lower. I understand that the route that his line takes
could be so much different. But I was thinking of asking his ISP to
change the pairs, but was wondering what they would actually do. Would
they change the pairs at the pole and the exchange so t hat he was was
running on a new pair from his house to the exchange or would they
change something else. The first one would make sense as I believe
that the pairs are matched to phone numbers at the exchange. Thanks
for you help.

So have you tried with ALL of his internal wiring disconnected by useing the
test socket on the nte?
Does his router give you any stats?

Old March 2nd 08, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 02/03/2008 15:27, George Weston wrote:

BT/Openreach own the network and will reserve the right to fix faults in the
way that they decide.

I thought that was the point I'd made?
Old March 2nd 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Andy Burns wrote:
On 02/03/2008 14:34, naza wrote:

I was thinking of asking his ISP to change the pairs

It's not really up to you (or him) to ask them to do that, if
there's a fault report it, then it's up to the ISP to arrange for
it to be fixed, changing pairs is one option that's availble to
them (or rather to openreach).

If they decide there is a need to change pairs, they can change the
pair from the exchange to the street cabinet, from the cabinet to
the pole or within the dropwire from the pole to the house.

They also have to pay Openreach for upgrading the network, so the
chance most ISPs will do it is marginal to none at all.

If you're really that involved check all internal wiring, extensions,
even phones or extension bells (if he has a remote external bell that
will have to be disconnected, or a SSFP fitted for a start). You will
be unpleasantly suprised how much internal wiring, even a flat plugin
extension feed, can affect a DSL line...

Old March 3rd 08, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

Go to

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

And click on improving speed.

This is one of the first things the ISP will ask you to do

Alec

Old March 3rd 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Alec" wrote in message
Go to

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

And click on improving speed.

This is one of the first things the ISP will ask you to do

Alec

So why are you telling me? The original poster was Naza

Old March 3rd 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

Well I have tried internal wiring. I Simply started with plugging it
in at the test socket at the NTE5. No change in stats. Report 57db
downstream attenuation with a noise margin of 7-8 db depending on
time. Internal wiring looks very good anyway. All of it is visible,
not in walls and stuff, looks like twisted pairs and not alarm cable.
Well out of the way of lighting most of the time and no-where near on
electrical cables. I tested it with an AM radio to find any other EMI
on the 1mhz frequency nothing there. The junction box for the drop
wire is about 40cm away from the NTE5 socket and there is no sign of
any more noise than anywhere else. Its very unlikely that the internal
wiring is at fault in this case.

Compare this with his tow neighbours with various ISP's, Both of
them are 34db downstream attenuation and a noise margins ranging from
7db - 14db. Quite good lines and they get a sync normally above
6000kbps. Compared to a sync of 1860kbps the last time I looked at his
router.

As for the ISP after 4 weeks they called and said they would send out
an engineer to look at the line. Anybodies guess if he will actually
do something.
Old March 3rd 08, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"naza" wrote in message
[...]

The junction box that the drop wire connects to isn't a BT80aRF2 instead of
a normal BT80a is it?
See http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/connection_boxes.htm for examples