SmartAx MT882 & wireless internet ?

Old March 2nd 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Fisher

Default SmartAx MT882 & wireless internet ?

I'm trying to help out my elderly neighbor .

She signed up with Talktalk's broadband service and underwent a
torturous experiences actually getting the whole thing to work. It's
a long and tedious story which I won't bore you with here, suffice to
say she now has a SmartAx MT882 connected to her desktop PC by an
Ethernet cable and it all works fine.

Now she gave me another challenge after buying a laptop and saying she
wants to use it anywhere around the house. I had an old Linksys
WRG54T v2 lying around so I said "No problem, we'll have you
wirelessly connected to the internet in a jiffy !". Setting up the
wireless network was a breeze. But connecting to the internet ?
Forget it !!!

I have tried everything suggested in a ton of forums... I have totally
reset the Linksys route, turned off its DHCP, set a static IP to
192.168.1.21 and excluded this IP on the MT882... nothing works..

I could really do with a step-by-step explanation of how to get these
2 units working together so that my neighbor can get surfing from her
sofa...

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Nick
Old March 2nd 08, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:39:54 -0800, Nick Fisher wrote:

Can anyone help ?

Turn off DHCP on the Linksys. Give it an IP address outside of the
SmartAx's DHCP range. Connect one of the LAN ports to a [the?] LAN port
on the SmartAx. Enjoy.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:29:04 up 7 days, 5:20, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.12, 0.09
Old March 2nd 08, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Fisher

On Mar 2, 9:31 pm, alexd wrote:
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:39:54 -0800, Nick Fisher wrote:
Can anyone help ?

Turn off DHCP on the Linksys. Give it an IP address outside of the
SmartAx's DHCP range. Connect one of the LAN ports to a [the?] LAN port
on the SmartAx. Enjoy.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:29:04 up 7 days, 5:20, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.12, 0.09

Alex,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Could I ask a couple of quick follow-up
questions ?

On logging into the Linksys at 192.168.1.1, you are presented with a
setup page. The first dropdown box has the following options:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Static IP
PPPoe
PPTP
L2TP
Telstra Cable

Below that is a field to enter Local IP Address, then further down the
page a radio button to enable / disable DHCP Server.

What combination of these is appropriate to achieve what you are
suggesting ?

Also, to double-check, you want me to connect the Ethernet port on the
MT882 to a LAN port on the WRG54T (i.e. _not_ the "Internet" port) ?

Thanks in advance for your further help.

Regards

Nick
Old April 1st 08, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Emilio

I hope this helps you:

I connected exactly the same router and the same modem 5 minutes ago
and now I'm posting from my new network.

how did I do it? the problem is that the router and the modem are in
the same network with the same IP, that's why you can't access... the
first time I changed the smartax IP, but when I restarted it came back
to the defaults settings :S (strange)

anyway what yu ahve to do is:
disable DHCP on the smartax.
change the linksys IP to 192.168.0.1 (the default is 192.168.1.1 but
you can't use the same IP for both and that's what is causing the
problem)
set this settings on the basic setup of the linksys:

Internet IP Address: any adress on the same subnet of the smartax
(for example 192.168.1.5)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 the smartax IP, we just use it as a gateway
and we don't change the default settings of the smartax, it's easier
this way
Static DNS 1: enter a dns IP here

now you are ready to connect!

if you have any question just send me a mail, I was looking for
something on the net and found this topic talking about the same thing
that gave me problems 5 minutes ago :S

good luck