BT Total Broadband

Old March 2nd 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT Total Broadband

Hi everyone.

Not happy about BT collecting information about our web surfing
habbits and sending them to advertisers. What do other people think
about this?
Old March 2nd 08, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

: : Hi everyone.
: :
: : Not happy about BT collecting information about our web
: : surfing habbits and sending them to advertisers. What
: : do other people think about this?

It doesn't matter what we think, they'll do it anyway.....

Ivor

Old March 2nd 08, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
wrote in message

: : Hi everyone.
: : : : Not happy about BT collecting information about our web
: : surfing habbits and sending them to advertisers. What
: : do other people think about this?

It doesn't matter what we think, they'll do it anyway.....

Unless customers walk to other ISPs that don't - which I shall do if mine
ever does.

George

Old March 2nd 08, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"George Weston" wrote in
message
: : "Ivor Jones" wrote in
: : message ...
: : : wrote in message
: : :

: : : : : Hi everyone.
: : : : : : : Not happy about BT collecting information
: : : : : : : about our web
: : : : : surfing habbits and sending them to advertisers.
: : : : : What do other people think about this?
: : :
: : : It doesn't matter what we think, they'll do it
: : : anyway.....
: :
: : Unless customers walk to other ISPs that don't - which
: : I shall do if mine ever does.

Don't kid yourself. They all do it to some extent or other.

Ivor

Old March 2nd 08, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

kraftee expressed precisely :
wrote:
Hi everyone.

Not happy about BT collecting information about our web surfing
habbits and sending them to advertisers. What do other people think
about this?

It will easily broken using a good HOST file & cookie blocker, so what is to
worry about. In one of the reports it even gave the domain which the
information is going to be sent to...oops straight into my host file with
that one.

Your movements are tracked & record on a great many sites already, next time
you go to Amazon see what they throw at you all based upon what you looked at
last time & that 's just one of the one's I use, do a search, that's recorded
etc. Your job is to make it a difficult as possible which means you, yes you
the person posting from a Gmail account, normally used by spammers & not a
lot of others, have got to keep your house in order & practice safe hex, keep
the cookie jar clean, an up to date host file & last but not least a good
spy/malware blocker, now if you put as much effort into that as you are into
hidding your indentity then you'll have very little to worry
about.........and no the sky's not going to fall down either chicken licken.

You obviously haven't read much about it then.

It seems no amount of precautionary measures on the user's part will
prevent their web-browsing details from being sent to the third party
company running the advertising scam.

Old March 2nd 08, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

wrote:
[...]

How about using another DNS server ?

Graham

Old March 2nd 08, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote:
[...]

SSHHHHHHH don't let on all the secrets, let them sweat it out, they
failt to realise that all ISPs are supposed to monitor all traffic
anyway....

Old March 2nd 08, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Eeyore expressed precisely :
You obviously haven't read much about it then.

It seems no amount of precautionary measures on the user's part will
prevent their web-browsing details from being sent to the third party
company running the advertising scam.

How about using another DNS server ?

Apparently not.

HTTPS escapes but virtually anything on port 80 is susceptible to
interception.

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?3

Old March 2nd 08, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

kraftee has brought this to us :
How about using another DNS server ?

Graham

SSHHHHHHH don't let on all the secrets, let them sweat it out, they failt to
realise that all ISPs are supposed to monitor all traffic anyway....

There's a difference between the ISP monitoring & the ISP selling the
data to a third party whose servers are in China and whose founder is
linked to the "People On Page" mullarky