Power Cuts & Quality of Telephone Line

Old March 3rd 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Power Cuts & Quality of Telephone Line

I am still trying to resolve my slower speed issues with Zen but wondered if
power cuts would have any lasting and detrimental effect on the quality of
the BT line.

Ken

Old March 3rd 08, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ken wrote:
I am still trying to resolve my slower speed issues with Zen but wondered if
power cuts would have any lasting and detrimental effect on the quality of
the BT line.

Almost certainly not.

Ken

Old March 3rd 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Ken wrote:
I am still trying to resolve my slower speed issues with Zen but wondered
if power cuts would have any lasting and detrimental effect on the
quality of the BT line.

Almost certainly not.

Ken

Just shows how paranoid I am getting trying to resolve the matter.

Ken

Old March 3rd 08, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Ken wrote:

I am still trying to resolve my slower speed issues with Zen but wondered if
power cuts would have any lasting and detrimental effect on the quality of
the BT line.

No.

Graham

Old March 3rd 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Ken
writes
I am still trying to resolve my slower speed issues with Zen but wondered if
power cuts would have any lasting and detrimental effect on the quality of
the BT line.

Ken

Ken,

The power cut itself would not have any lasting effect unless it screwed
up your router.

BUT if the cut did cause (even temporary) problems with your router, it
could cause the exchange to see your line as flaky, and increase the
base S/N ratio at which a connection is negotiated - reducing the speed.

I speak from experience - my Netgear DG834G went haywire after a power
cut very early one morning. By the time I got to it, it had been
dropping the line and trying to reconnect to the exchange once a minute
for a couple of hours at least.

A hard reboot cured the problem in the router, but by then the
exchange's adaptive systems had increased the S/N ratio it would
negotiate at from the usual 6dB to 15dB with a significant reduction in
speed.

My ISP (Plusnet) accepted the diagnosis, and got BT to reset the S/N
target. Took about 48 Hours from first contact with Plusnet to fix.

--
Peter R Cook
Old March 3rd 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message , Ken
writes
[...]

Hi Peter

Interesting to hear from you!!! As said I am getting desperate to find some
clue/s.

Ken

Old March 4th 08, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside S9

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:22:40 +0000, Invalid
wrote:

In message , Ken
writes
[...]

Exactly the problem I have had with power glitches to DG834G. Fixed
by providing a cheap UPS for the router. Router now absolutely solid
for 6 weeks. ISP Eclipse *won't* get BT to reset the S/N target.

--
brightside S9