Homeplug. Two separate pairs of bridges?

Old March 3rd 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nollaig MacKenzie

Default Homeplug. Two separate pairs of bridges?

This isn't a question I need an answer to very soon,
it's close to idly curious; but I am curious :-)

I recently bought a couple of TrendNet TPL-202Es, to
connect an external disk to our home network. The
network, up till then, consisted in a DSL modem,
ethernet cabled to a Linksys router, with two Macs
ethernet cabled to the router. I plugged one TPL-202E
into a power outlet and connected it to the router,
and the other into an outlet in a remote part of the
house where the external disk now sits. This worked
perfectly; the disk was on the nework as 192.168.1.100,
just as it had been when connected by ethernet cable.

The question: Let's call the outlet by the router 'A',
that by the disk, 'B'. Suppose I connected a third
TPL-202E to a distinct port on the router and to
outlet 'C', then connected a fourth TPL-202E to some
new device and to outlet 'D'. Would this work? If the
new device had, say, IP # 192.168.1.66, would the network
send the right packets to the right IP addresses?

Hope the question is clear enough.

Cheers, N.

--
Nollaig MacKenzie
http://www.amhuinnsuidhe.net
Old March 3rd 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Nollaig MacKenzie" wrote in message
[snip]
The question: Let's call the outlet by the router 'A',
that by the disk, 'B'. Suppose I connected a third
TPL-202E to a distinct port on the router and to
outlet 'C', then connected a fourth TPL-202E to some
new device and to outlet 'D'. Would this work? If the
new device had, say, IP # 192.168.1.66, would the network
send the right packets to the right IP addresses?

It's certainly unnecessary and possibly disastrous to do as you describe -
one more HomePlug bridge (plugged in to D) would do the job.

Alex

Old March 4th 08, 01:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nollaig MacKenzie

On 2008.03.03 19:07:52,
the amazing declared:

"Nollaig MacKenzie" wrote in message
[snip]
The question: Let's call the outlet by the router 'A',
that by the disk, 'B'. Suppose I connected a third
TPL-202E to a distinct port on the router and to
outlet 'C', then connected a fourth TPL-202E to some
new device and to outlet 'D'. Would this work? If the
new device had, say, IP # 192.168.1.66, would the network
send the right packets to the right IP addresses?

It's certainly unnecessary and possibly disastrous to do as you describe -
one more HomePlug bridge (plugged in to D) would do the job.

Thanks! to Jon and Alex. This is a very useful answer.
I was suffering some conceptual confusion, I guess.

Best wishes, N.

--
Nollaig MacKenzie
http://www.amhuinnsuidhe.net
Old March 7th 08, 12:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , Nollaig MacKenzie
says...
[...]

The answer lies in the question. A bridge is a device for connecting
dissimilar media - wireless/fibre/10baseTx/EOP etc. What you stick in
either end on that medium gets pumped out the other end on the other
medium, so you only need one bridge to get packets onto the mains and
one for each device that wants to get them off again. The switch in the
router learns which devices are on which port, and anything destined for
the devices connected via EOP will be sent to the single Homeplug device
attached to it.