Post Office Broadband

Old March 4th 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Post Office Broadband

Hi,
Hope this is correct NG.
I'm fed up with BT from whom I get my 'phone, it is their customer service
that as upset me. They speak with strong Indian accents and very hard to
understand. I have a charging issue with them they do not seem to know
answers to my questions, e-mails take days to answer.
So many different packages my head spins.
Now I have the Post Office with its single tariff and it just reads as if
written for me and sounds cheaper, so could well be going over to them.
My broadband is with Tesco which the present contact runs out in August I
do get good service from them but they do not have the speeds that these new
providers offer. The PO have Broadband and would be 6x or more faster, but
their unlimited is subject to fair usage, my Tesco is truely unlimited.
Anyone with the PO broadband unlimited, can you tell me how their fair usage
effects?
I'm a heavy user as I play an internet game.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old March 4th 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

David wrote:
[...]

1) read the archives (via Google Groups) to find out if Post Office is any
good as phone/broadband provider. My memory suggests it is not particularly
good.

2) Many games are not significant uses of bandwidth. They require low
latency; being the time from triggering an action to it being acknowledged,
but they don't shift large amounts of data around.

3) No ISP at the prices you are considering is truely unlimited. They all
operate various policies to limit download volumes. Some are more explicit
than others about the volumes involved. Most users of ISPs get nowhere near
their use limits.

Personally, I would look elsewhere for a quality service, but you won't get
quality UK support at a bargain basement price level.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old March 4th 08, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message

1) read the archives (via Google Groups) to find out if Post Office is any
good as phone/broadband provider. My memory suggests it is not
particularly good.

2) Many games are not significant uses of bandwidth. They require low
latency; being the time from triggering an action to it being
acknowledged, but they don't shift large amounts of data around.

3) No ISP at the prices you are considering is truely unlimited. They all
operate various policies to limit download volumes. Some are more explicit
than others about the volumes involved. Most users of ISPs get nowhere
near their use limits.

Personally, I would look elsewhere for a quality service, but you won't
get quality UK support at a bargain basement price level.

Thanks Nigel.

I pay Tesco £20 a month and get Unlimited with no strings speed being up to
1mb, always 0.9mb minimum.
I used 25Gb in February.
This is the fastest Tesco give with no limit, their service is reliable and
customer service good too and in this country. I was with Tesco on the old
dial up and one of their first Broadband customers, which will I hope show
with me at least they got the customer service right, I do not take bad
service.

Line estimates say I can go for 8Mb and will get over 6Mb.

I do not understand why Tesco are not offering these newer ways of providing
Broadband, maybe they will.

I will Google as you suggest on the Post Office.

I would appreciate as to how one is effected by the fair usage, does it just
slow down a bit or a lot, for a short time or long time?

Thanks again

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old March 4th 08, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

David wrote:

I'm fed up with BT from whom I get my 'phone, it is their customer service
that as upset me.

You should try Virgin or Tiscali then !

You'll be more upset still.

Graham

Old March 4th 08, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Eeyore" wrote in message

David wrote:

I'm fed up with BT from whom I get my 'phone, it is their customer
service
that as upset me.

You should try Virgin or Tiscali then !

You'll be more upset still.

Wow they must really be bad 'cause BT are.
I tested the Post Office by 'phone and e-mail and did OK.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old March 4th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
acdeag

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Post Office phone and broadband are white label BT services. See link.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/18/bt_po_isp/

You may end up with India call centres again.

Old March 4th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

In article ,
says...
They speak with strong Indian accents

That's because they are Indian. In India no less.
--
Regards
Jon
Old March 4th 08, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

David wrote:
[...]

The quick answer is yes....

Old March 4th 08, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

My broadband is with Tesco which the present contact runs
out in August. I do get good service from them but they
do not have the speeds that these new providers offer.

Are you sure you will get faster speeds if you change?
Will your physical line and distance from the exchange
restrict the available speed. The "Up to" bit.
Will your proposed provider offer enough backhaul
bandwidth, or will factors like contention and traffic
shaping place a limit on what they deliver, as opposed
to what they claim?
"Out of the frying pan into the fire" comes to mind.
Old March 5th 08, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

wrote in message

My broadband is with Tesco which the present contact runs
out in August. I do get good service from them but they
do not have the speeds that these new providers offer.

Are you sure you will get faster speeds if you change?
Will your physical line and distance from the exchange
restrict the available speed. The "Up to" bit.
Will your proposed provider offer enough backhaul
bandwidth, or will factors like contention and traffic
shaping place a limit on what they deliver, as opposed
to what they claim?
"Out of the frying pan into the fire" comes to mind.

Yes that is why I'm asking these questions!
Trying to avoid getting burnt.
'phone must change.
Broadband maybe, I get good service from Tesco and no limits, just that they
are on the old slow speeds.

--
Regards,
David