voip PDA recommendations :)

Old March 5th 08, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Default voip PDA recommendations :)

voip PDA recommendations

is it workable ?

Stephen
--

Lift share day 14th June www.liftshare.org

Old March 5th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:14:16 -0000, "Stephen Hammond"
wrote:

voip PDA recommendations

is it workable ?

Yes it is, on WiFi at least.
Someone gave me an old IPAQ, Windows 2003SE Mobile, Pocket PC.
I bought a WiFi SD card for it for 22.
I tried some softphones and the best was SJphone. I had to increase
the jitter and buffer settings to get smooth audio. The quality wasn't
fantastic and there appeared to be more echo, but it worked.
I also tried Skype but it was really poor. It performed like SJphone
without the jitter/buffer settings being increased - but much worse. I
tested it on the Skype test line. I could hear the woman's voice
coming back rOK, though not good, but the recording of my voice was
very poor indeed.
Before getting this IPAQ device my experience with Windows Mobile was
zero. One problem I find is that it seems impossible to just leave it
switched off, overnight for example, without having the batteries
going dangerously low. So, I have to keep it charged up all the time.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old March 5th 08, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:14:16 -0000, "Stephen Hammond"
wrote:

voip PDA recommendations

is it workable ?

One thing I didn't say is I wouldn't buy a PDA nowadays - they are
redundant in my view. Go for a mobile phone that has PDA facilities,
HSDPA and Wifi. Eg. N95, N96 etc. There are various touch screen
mobiles due out htis year also. Garmin and an a Google powered one are
in the offing. Some of the Sat Nav ones, that have a camera, will
record where each picture was taken and when. Samsung are to release a
touchscreen, WiFi, HSDPA, etc. phone in June. I am sure that others
will follow..... Meanwhile the Apple fan boys are still buying a
phone, with a great interface to old technology, that is tied to one
provider.

---
Old March 5th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Kutoma Ltd

On Mar 5, 10:14*am, "Stephen Hammond"
wrote:
voip PDA recommendations

is it workable ?

Stephen
--

Lift share day 14th June *www.liftshare.org

Hallo Stephen,

For sure it is.I m using my Nokia N800 on a BT Homehub and no worries
at all.
It s just a great gizmo and also voip is fine with a good headset and
micro.
And not to forget it runs on linux with a great platform for other
things as well.
( www.maemo.org)

Best regards

Gottfried

www.5152.eu
Old March 6th 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ßøđiŋs

Stephen Hammond wrote:
voip PDA recommendations

is it workable ?

Stephen

If you want something more than a "gizmo", consider an ASUS EEEPC, it's
tiny, ~1.5 Kg, it's a laptop through and through, with everything you
expect from a laptop: WiFi and wired Ethernet, 3 USB ports - perfect to
attach a VoIP handset - an 800*600 7" colour display you don't have to
squint at or excessively scroll up-down-left and right, touchpad, 2GB
solid state disk, Linux based, etc...
It's *finally* integrated communications.
At 219 ex VAT isn't expensive at all, I'll get one soon.

--
ßødincs - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old March 7th 08, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:54:12 GMT, ?i?s wrote:

Stephen Hammond wrote:
voip PDA recommendations

is it workable ?

Stephen

If you want something more than a "gizmo", consider an ASUS EEEPC, it's
tiny, ~1.5 Kg, it's a laptop through and through, with everything you
expect from a laptop: WiFi and wired Ethernet, 3 USB ports - perfect to
attach a VoIP handset - an 800*600 7" colour display you don't have to
squint at or excessively scroll up-down-left and right, touchpad, 2GB
solid state disk, Linux based, etc...
It's *finally* integrated communications.
At 219 ex VAT isn't expensive at all, I'll get one soon.

If you look here you'll see the range of prices for the 2GB and 4GB
versions. Those retailers that have the 4GB in stock are exploiting
the shortage by jacking up the price.
http://eeestock.cpjackson.co.uk/
A friend has one and I installed SJphone on it. It worked OK but needs
the buffer end jitter settings increasing.
The only outstanding issue is that it doesn't seem possible to enter a
phrase for the WiFi WPA encryption - it has to be in hex. I need to
look more at this, but that is how it stands and my friend is finding
practical difficulties with this.

---
Old March 7th 08, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ßøđiŋs

Brian A wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:54:12 GMT, ßø?i?s wrote:

Stephen Hammond wrote:
[...]

SJPhone is known to be very hard on resources, and very keen on breaking
the voice if you don't push the buffers up.
I'm using X-Lite on Windows systems and Twinkle on *nix, happy days.
Entering the WPA key in hex isn't rocket science, enter the hex ASCII
code of the character in the string... "A" ASCII 65 (DEC) 41 (HEX).

http://www.asciitable.com/

HTH

--
ßødincs - The Y2K Druid