BT contract up soon.

Old March 5th 08, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT contract up soon.

My BT minimum contract is due to expire soon. I was reminded of this
by receiving two sales calls offering me a ฃ4 a month reduction if I
resigned with them.

If I don't cancel at the end of the minimum contract is another 1 year
contract imposed immediately of can I cancel, say 2 or 3 months after
the minimum contract expires?

Old March 5th 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

wrote:
My BT minimum contract is due to expire soon. I was reminded of this
by receiving two sales calls offering me a ?4 a month reduction if I
resigned with them.

If I don't cancel at the end of the minimum contract is another 1 year
contract imposed immediately of can I cancel, say 2 or 3 months after
the minimum contract expires?

Read what your contract with BT says. Only there will you find the exact
details.

However, in general, ISPs who offer annual contracts revert to monthly once
the period is up. So, do nothing and you carry on paying 16/30 (or
whatever) a month indefinitely, and can quit (move ISP) anytime you like.
If you "re-sign" with any form of discount, you will be locked into a new
contract with a year's notice if you want to move ISP (or possibly longer
with some offers).

If moving, I suggest you go to an ISP without lock-in period unless you are
really stuck for the price of a router. If moving, you will need to check
whether you can re-programme your BT router for a new ISP, or if you should
budget to purchase a new one. Pretty much all BT routers can be reprogrammed
if you are determined to do it, but some take a bit of effort to make them
workable on other ISPs.

- Nigel (some time ago, I worked for BT on ISP development activities)

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at

Old March 5th 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Brian G wrote:

wrote:
My BT minimum contract is due to expire soon. I was reminded of this
by receiving two sales calls offering me a ?4 a month reduction if I
resigned with them.

If I don't cancel at the end of the minimum contract is another 1 year
contract imposed immediately of can I cancel, say 2 or 3 months after
the minimum contract expires?

Once you are out of your minimum BT contract period if you do nothing, you
simply revert to a 'monthly' plan and payments and are free to leave BT
whenever you wish - subject to a months notice to them.

I have been 'out of contract' for years now and I've refused point-blank to
enter into a new, fixed term one with them no matter what 'goodies' they
have offered - they've even stopped 'phoning me now!

I'm the same, though with plusnet. Basically, as there's no problems at
the moment, I'm find to stay with them, but I'd like the flexibility to
be able to switch if I needed to.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the