Changing ADSL accounts

Old March 5th 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Changing ADSL accounts

My in laws have a Pipex ADSL connection. The account is in my father-in-law's
name. He died last month. Mother-in-law wishes to continue with using the
internet. However this might be a good opportunity to change to a better deal.

NewNet (who I use and are very happy with) are about to LLU the local
exchange, and offer a 24 Meg/ASDL2 service. Their 8:95/month package looks
ideal for MIL. Currently she has a 14:99/m package with Pipex.

Pipex (without asking/advising) moved them to a LLU connection a couple of
years ago, so migration is going to be lumpy (if not impossible, as the
account holder is deceased ?).

I'm thinking of getting MIL to phone Pipex, informing them the account holder
has died, and asking them to cease the service ASAP. I will then help her
arrange a dial up service, while the cease/reprovide process goes through.
Then hopefully after a 3-4 week gap, the new NewNet connection goes live under
MIL's name ?

ISTR problems with a line getting tagged with ADSL even after the original
ISP's connection has ceased ? I also recall there's a special BT Wholesale
number you can ring to get any such tag removed ?

Anybody got any advice, experience, or other ideas re the above plan ?

--
Mark
Old March 5th 08, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Mark Carver wrote:
[...]

Even though they may have been llu'd you can still migrate using a MAC
code. The only problem I can see is whether Pipex will accept the MAC
request, but hopefully your MIL knows the correct information. As
for the 24Mbps service look in their small print it's upto, it's not
guaranteed & you may possibly end up with a slower speed depending on
how they impliment their service...

Old March 5th 08, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

It happens that Mark Carver formulated :
ISTR problems with a line getting tagged with ADSL even after the original
ISP's connection has ceased ? I also recall there's a special BT Wholesale
number you can ring to get any such tag removed ?

08001699576

Old March 6th 08, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Mark Carver
writes
[...]

Not with broadband but utility and service providers generally fall over
themselves to help in bereavement circumstances and will allow the
transfer of an account to a surviving spouse with little fuss.

If Pipex allow a transfer over to the MIL you could let the dust settle
for a couple of months then migrate out which will certainly be less
hassle than the cease/reprovide and will save the provision fee. Be sure
of course to verify (in written triplicate) that the account is being
transferred to the MIL, not that she is being offered a new 12mth
contract, particularly with Pipex.

I doubt they will even require a copy of the Death Cert but a good
quality colour scan is good to have and offer to send if they get at all
sticky.

I think Newnet is good for mums/MILs, it's their base package I have set
up for mine.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Old March 6th 08, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

kraftee wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

Anybody got any advice, experience, or other ideas re the above
plan ?

Even though they may have been llu'd you can still migrate using a MAC
code. The only problem I can see is whether Pipex will accept the MAC
request, but hopefully your MIL knows the correct information. As
for the 24Mbps service look in their small print it's upto, it's not
guaranteed & you may possibly end up with a slower speed depending on
how they impliment their service...

Thanks all,

I'm not expecting anywhere near 24 megs performance on her line, and 2 or 3
Megs would be fine for her style of use, but as a guide the current Pipex
connection that seems fixed at 2272 kb/s d/s has a SNR of about 32dB,
attenuation is 19dB.

What are typical threshold SNRs for non BT adaptive ADSL connections, I'm
asking because I'm wondering whether there's any point trying NewNet's LLU
service on my line. 12db SNR at 1152 kb/s connection, attenuation 63dB.
I've deliberately shied away from 'BT' ADSL-Max, because I've feared I'd be
swapping my rock solid fixed rate connection with something very unstable ?

--
Mark
Old March 6th 08, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Mark Carver wrote:
kraftee wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

[...]

The target or threshold SNR for ADSL Max is 6db. You MIL will get around
8Mb, you will get around 2Mb on a Max connection. I was also worried about
Max but so far, it's been fine.

--

WCZ

Old March 6th 08, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Mark Carver wrote:

kraftee wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

Anybody got any advice, experience, or other ideas re the above
plan ?

Even though they may have been llu'd you can still migrate using a MAC
code. The only problem I can see is whether Pipex will accept the MAC
request, but hopefully your MIL knows the correct information. As
for the 24Mbps service look in their small print it's upto, it's not
guaranteed & you may possibly end up with a slower speed depending on
how they impliment their service...

Thanks all,

I'm not expecting anywhere near 24 megs performance on her line, and 2 or 3
Megs would be fine for her style of use, but as a guide the current Pipex
connection that seems fixed at 2272 kb/s d/s has a SNR of about 32dB,
attenuation is 19dB.

That's VERY good. You should get blistering performance.

Graham

Old March 7th 08, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:57:39, fred wrote:

I think Newnet is good for mums/MILs, it's their base package I have
set up for mine.

+1

It's the service I set up for the gathering brood of silver-surfers I
help migrate to broadband. Over the last three years I've not had one
call about connectivity problems.

I wouldn't recommend it for any household with teenagers though. That
would not help anyone...

--
Jim Crowther
Old March 9th 08, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:24:42 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

I'm not expecting anywhere near 24 megs performance on her line, and 2
or 3 Megs would be fine for her style of use, but as a guide the current
Pipex connection that seems fixed at 2272 kb/s d/s has a SNR of about
32dB, attenuation is 19dB.

My attenuation is 26dB and I'm getting 15M sync with Be. Presumably your
MIL will get more than 15M. You might find yourself popping round with
the laptop more often to download stuff ;-)

What are typical threshold SNRs for non BT adaptive ADSL connections,
I'm asking because I'm wondering whether there's any point trying
NewNet's LLU service on my line. 12db SNR at 1152 kb/s connection,
attenuation 63dB. I've deliberately shied away from 'BT' ADSL-Max,
because I've feared I'd be swapping my rock solid fixed rate connection
with something very unstable ?

There's no reason for it to be very unstable; it should train towards 6dB
margin and stay there.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:51:42 up 14 days, 5:43, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.12, 0.43