Migrating broadband to new house - keeping the same phone number

Old March 6th 08, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

Default Migrating broadband to new house - keeping the same phone number

A customer is moving house to another house on the same exchange (not just
the same dialling code). He wants to migrate his broadband service (with
Demon) to the new house. However he is arranging with BT to transfer the
phone number as well, which complicates matters slightly.

How should he manage this?

Presumably he needs to tell BT (phone line) and Demon (broadband service)
that he is moving and keeping the same number, with effect from a certain
date. How far in advance should he give official notification - if he does
it too early, will his broadband be cut off at the old house before he
moves? Do things have to be done in a specific order?

Old March 6th 08, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Mortimer submitted this idea :
A customer is moving house to another house on the same exchange (not just
the same dialling code). He wants to migrate his broadband service (with
Demon) to the new house. However he is arranging with BT to transfer the
phone number as well, which complicates matters slightly.

How should he manage this?

Presumably he needs to tell BT (phone line) and Demon (broadband service)
that he is moving and keeping the same number, with effect from a certain
date. How far in advance should he give official notification - if he does it
too early, will his broadband be cut off at the old house before he moves? Do
things have to be done in a specific order?

Depending upon how Demon do things, if he's placed the BT order
already, it may be too late.

So, he needs to ask Demon if they require the BT order number to
arrange a simultaneous provision....or even if they support it.

The approach I take is to first place the BT order with enough time
between the order placement & the required date for the usual 5 working
day lead time for broadband.

Then, armed with the BT job number which is 3 letters, 3 numbers & 2
letters XYZ123AB (not the VOL number) I contact the ISP & arrange the
simultaneous provision, which requires me to pass on the job number to
them (Again, make sure there is at least 5 clear working days between
this point & when the BT line is being connected)

Some providers do it the otherway round - you place the broadband order
first & give their reference to BT (AFAIK)

Unfortunately, I trust neither method to work smoothly, if at all.

Prepare your friend to be without broadband for some (considerable)
time after he moves......especially if the existing occupants have
broadband.

Old March 6th 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll pass them on to the customer. Let's hope
this is one of those rare times when everything goes smoothly.

Prepare your friend to be without broadband for some (considerable) time
after he moves......especially if the existing occupants have broadband.

To avoid this delay (which happened to my girlfriend) I've suggested that he
gets his solictor to build into the house-buying contract the condition that
the previous owners will have ceased their broadband on or before the
completion date.

Old March 6th 08, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Mortimer expressed precisely :
To avoid this delay (which happened to my girlfriend) I've suggested that he
gets his solictor to build into the house-buying contract the condition that
the previous owners will have ceased their broadband on or before the
completion date.

OK.......what makes you think that the line will lose its flag even if
they do do this?

Old March 6th 08, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Mortimer expressed precisely :
To avoid this delay (which happened to my girlfriend) I've suggested that
he gets his solictor to build into the house-buying contract the
condition that the previous owners will have ceased their broadband on or
before the completion date.

OK.......what makes you think that the line will lose its flag even if
they do do this?

That's not relevant. You put a penalty in the contract equal to the cost of
getting BT to setting up a completely new line at the premises, and recover
the cost from the seller ...

-- Graham J

Old March 6th 08, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

It happens that Graham J formulated :
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Mortimer expressed precisely :
To avoid this delay (which happened to my girlfriend) I've suggested that
he gets his solictor to build into the house-buying contract the condition
that the previous owners will have ceased their broadband on or before the
completion date.

OK.......what makes you think that the line will lose its flag even if they
do do this?

That's not relevant. You put a penalty in the contract equal to the cost of
getting BT to setting up a completely new line at the premises, and recover
the cost from the seller ...

And how does that make the broadband work on the day they move in...?

Old March 6th 08, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Graham J wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Mortimer expressed precisely :
To avoid this delay (which happened to my girlfriend) I've
suggested that he gets his solictor to build into the house-buying
contract the condition that the previous owners will have ceased
their broadband on or before the completion date.

OK.......what makes you think that the line will lose its flag even
if they do do this?

That's not relevant. You put a penalty in the contract equal to the
cost of getting BT to setting up a completely new line at the
premises, and recover the cost from the seller ...

Penalty clauses are not enforceable.

Peter Crosland

Old March 7th 08, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kit

In article , Peter Crosland
wrote:

Graham J wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Mortimer expressed precisely :
To avoid this delay (which happened to my girlfriend) I've
suggested that he gets his solictor to build into the house-buying
contract the condition that the previous owners will have ceased
their broadband on or before the completion date.

OK.......what makes you think that the line will lose its flag even
if they do do this?

That's not relevant. You put a penalty in the contract equal to the
cost of getting BT to setting up a completely new line at the
premises, and recover the cost from the seller ...

Penalty clauses are not enforceable.

Penalty clauses which are called such and are intended as penalties are
not enforceable. However, 'Liquidation of Damages' clauses which impose
a fair assessment of actual damages that would be caused are
enforceable.

Kit
Old March 7th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Kit wrote:
In article , Peter Crosland
wrote:

Graham J wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Mortimer expressed precisely :
To avoid this delay (which happened to my girlfriend) I've
suggested that he gets his solictor to build into the house-buying
contract the condition that the previous owners will have ceased
their broadband on or before the completion date.

OK.......what makes you think that the line will lose its flag even
if they do do this?

That's not relevant. You put a penalty in the contract equal to the
cost of getting BT to setting up a completely new line at the
premises, and recover the cost from the seller ...

Penalty clauses are not enforceable.

Penalty clauses which are called such and are intended as penalties
are not enforceable. However, 'Liquidation of Damages' clauses which
impose a fair assessment of actual damages that would be caused are
enforceable.

The crucial word is fair. A new line would incur installation costs and
almost certainly tweleve months rental. I rather doubt that would be
considered fair. Furthermore most solicitors would advise their client not
to agree to such a clause.

Peter Crosland

Old March 7th 08, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kit

In article , Peter Crosland
wrote:

Kit wrote:
In article , Peter Crosland
wrote:

Graham J wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I agree.
I was merely clarifying your one-line blanket statement about penalty
clauses and wasn't commenting on the particular case.

Furthermore most solicitors would advise their client not
to agree to such a clause.

That depends on the business. Large building and other industrial
contracts often have such clauses. The builder or engineering firm will
have to decide whether getting a large contract will be worth agreeing
to such a clause. That is a business decision rather than a legal
decision. So once the solicitor has pointed out the existence of such a
clause his advice on whether or not to agree to it is irrelevant.

Kit