Sky BB, first day report

Old March 7th 08, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eadg

Default Sky BB, first day report

Well, well, no nasty surprises. The connection I had with Tesco went dead at
noon, I plugged the Sky router in and had a connection 10 minutes later. Had
to delete and create my email account in OE once or twice but it's working
fine now. No news server but I have a PAYG account with astranews so had to
use them for usenet purposes. Other than those minor gripes it's a big
improvement on Tesco, and from the same exchange: 6.5Mb speed downloading
some files compared to 1Mb max off Tesco.

--
SR

Old March 8th 08, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"eadg" wrote in message
Well, well, no nasty surprises. The connection I had with Tesco went dead
at noon, I plugged the Sky router in and had a connection 10 minutes
later. Had to delete and create my email account in OE once or twice but
it's working fine now. No news server but I have a PAYG account with
astranews so had to use them for usenet purposes. Other than those minor
gripes it's a big improvement on Tesco, and from the same exchange: 6.5Mb
speed downloading some files compared to 1Mb max off Tesco.

I recently switched to TalkTalk and they also do not have a news server. I
have signed up with Albasani. It is free and has retention of around three
months. No binaries but I don't need them.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old March 8th 08, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

"eadg" wrote in message
Well, well, no nasty surprises. The connection I had with Tesco went dead
at noon, I plugged the Sky router in and had a connection 10 minutes
later. Had to delete and create my email account in OE once or twice but
it's working fine now. No news server but I have a PAYG account with
astranews so had to use them for usenet purposes. Other than those minor
gripes it's a big improvement on Tesco, and from the same exchange: 6.5Mb
speed downloading some files compared to 1Mb max off Tesco.

--
SR

Your comments are encouraging, since I just signed up to Sky Max from Pipex.
I'm looking into free usenet, because newsgroups are a significant part of
my surfing and research.

I'll probably still use OE (although I might take the opportunity to try
another email reader) and it's good to see you got working OK.

Barb

Old March 8th 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eadg

"Barb" wrote in message
news

"eadg" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, I'm very happy: 30 mins to download a movie compared to 3 hours+
with Tesco
I have Thunderbird but OE works fine for me so that's the default I use.
Keith Willcocks earlier in this thread gave a free server I've bookmarked
for future reference that looks ok but if usenet is important to you there
are a few subscription sites you may consider, cis.dfn are cheap and good
value ime.

--
SR

Old March 8th 08, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

eadg wrote:
"Barb" wrote in message
news

"eadg" wrote in message
[...]

Wait until the honeymoon period ends, then make you value added
judgement.

All I can say about my experience with SKY was the honeymoon never
started & after 9 months they let me out the rest of my contract &
refunded me most, if not all, my money.

Old March 8th 08, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Wait until the honeymoon period ends, then make you value added
judgement.

FWIW in around 11 months of service, I lost web access for a short
while earlier today (possibly an hour or so) - I suspect their DNS
server keeled over.
Old March 8th 08, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:13:35, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Wait until the honeymoon period ends, then make you value added
judgement.

FWIW in around 11 months of service, I lost web access for a short
while earlier today (possibly an hour or so) - I suspect their DNS
server keeled over.

Use your own:

http://www.treewalkdns.com/

Install it and forget it. Highly recommended, it was the only way I
could get TalkTalk 'customers' (and AOL, Tiscali etc) to stay usefully
on line at one time.

--
Jim Crowther
Old March 9th 08, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

Colin Wilson wrote:
Wait until the honeymoon period ends, then make you value added
judgement.

FWIW in around 11 months of service, I lost web access for a short
while earlier today (possibly an hour or so) - I suspect their DNS
server keeled over.

I've actually noticed quite poor / slow performance for web access the
last few days. Yesterday was particularly bad with time-outs for just
about every site I tried to access. All other connections were fine, I
was using FTP at over a 8Mbps and the connection to my usenet provider
was uninterrupted. It was rather frustrating, but in the year I've been
with Sky it's the first time I've experienced any problems. Seems okay
again today so far.

--
regards, James Luff
Gamertag: Lufferov
Old March 9th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abo

James Luff wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
Wait until the honeymoon period ends, then make you value added
judgement.

FWIW in around 11 months of service, I lost web access for a short
while earlier today (possibly an hour or so) - I suspect their DNS
server keeled over.

I've actually noticed quite poor / slow performance for web access the
last few days. Yesterday was particularly bad with time-outs for just
about every site I tried to access. All other connections were fine, I
was using FTP at over a 8Mbps and the connection to my usenet provider
was uninterrupted. It was rather frustrating, but in the year I've been
with Sky it's the first time I've experienced any problems. Seems okay
again today so far.

Funny, I had the same. Thought it was just me... Again, no problems
since July, Apart from this!

--
Abo
Old March 9th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eadg

"Abo" wrote in message
James Luff wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Let's hope it stays that way
I appreciate the response to this thread, quite a help. It was interesting
to note the slow load-up of webpages too, happened to me as well but the
download speed remained constant so no worries. The only real negative for
me is being tied to a minimum term: I don't trust anybody!

--
SR