D-Link DP-G310 wireless printserver wireless problem

Old March 8th 08, 12:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lancelot

Default D-Link DP-G310 wireless printserver wireless problem

I just bought I DP-G310 print server. The setup instructions require
one to do the configuration with an ethernet cable connecting the
print server to the router. I did this and everything worked well. I
even got the printer to work with both my Windows XP machines and my
Macintosh machines.

The problem comes when I disconnect the ethernet cable. Then the print
server becomes completely invisible to everything, including the web-
based configuration program.

Any suggestions?

Lancelot Fletcher
Old March 8th 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Lancelot wrote:

The problem comes when I disconnect the ethernet cable. Then the print
server becomes completely invisible to everything, including the web-
based configuration program.

The ethernet cable allows you to connect regardless of the wifi
settings, once the cable is disconnected then the wifi configuration is
the only one that connects.

As Rob points out, the SSID and security settings need to be correct,
also check if it's set for static IP or DHCP as its default setting may
not be within your network.

Geoff Lane
Old March 8th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lancelot

On Mar 8, 5:34 pm, Rob Morley wrote:
In article 37f2179d-3b75-4945-a8ac-2eecdcf3cc99
@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, Lancelot
says... I just bought I DP-G310 print server. The setup instructions require
one to do the configuration with an ethernet cable connecting the
print server to the router. I did this and everything worked well. I
even got the printer to work with both my Windows XP machines and my
Macintosh machines.

The problem comes when I disconnect the ethernet cable. Then the print
server becomes completely invisible to everything, including the web-
based configuration program.

Presumably you've set it to infrastructure mode and checked the SSID,
channel and WEP settings?

Yes. The SSID is correct. I find that when the connection mode is set
to infrastructure the channel selector is inoperable and appears to be
set to channel 6, although on the wireless status page it says that it
is set to channel 1. With regard to WEP settings, I have my router set
to WPA/PSK and I have entered the pre-shared passphrase that I have
used successfully to connect all my other machines to the network.

Lancelot
Old March 8th 08, 04:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lancelot

On Mar 8, 6:22 pm, Geoff Lane wrote:
Lancelot wrote:
The problem comes when I disconnect the ethernet cable. Then the print
server becomes completely invisible to everything, including the web-
based configuration program.

The ethernet cable allows you to connect regardless of the wifi
settings, once the cable is disconnected then the wifi configuration is
the only one that connects.

As Rob points out, the SSID and security settings need to be correct,
also check if it's set for static IP or DHCP as its default setting may
not be within your network.

Geoff Lane

Geoff,

As I just said in my response to Rob, I have checked that the SSID and
security settings are correct. I assume it's ok to have a passphrase
with more than one word, separated by spaces? I am using the default
ip address for the print server (192.168.0.10). The address for the
router is 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, so I assume
that is within my network. The DHCP server is set to assign ip
addresses in the range from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199, so the
address of the print server is outside the range for the DHCP server.
But it seems to me that that should not matter.

Lancelot
Old March 8th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lancelot

On Mar 8, 9:11 pm, Rob Morley wrote:
In article f3e3bf46-4bfa-4b59-98be-
, Lancelot
says...

Yes. The SSID is correct. I find that when the connection mode is set
to infrastructure the channel selector is inoperable and appears to be
set to channel 6, although on the wireless status page it says that it
is set to channel 1.

I guess 6 is the default channel but when you set it to infrastructure
it takes the channel that the router is using - presumably the router is
set to use channel 1.

With regard to WEP settings, I have my router set
to WPA/PSK and I have entered the pre-shared passphrase that I have
used successfully to connect all my other machines to the network.

OK, the manual I found said that only WEP is supported, but I see that
there's since been a firmware upgrade. Assuming all the other settings
are default there's nothing obviously wrong - have you tried resetting
the router in case the problem lies there?

Yes, I have restarted the router (more than once). I am using firmware
version 2.10 dated 3-24-2006. Also on the wireless configuration page
there is a button marked site survey, and if you click on that the
system scans for available networks and allows you to select and then
submit the passphrase, reducing the likelihood of a typo in the SSID.
I have used this technique, but it didn't make a difference.

I should mention that at the moment this problem doesn't cause me any
practical problems, since the printer and print server I am working
with are both pretty close to the router, so connecting the print
server to the router with an ethernet cable is not a problem. But I am
wondering if there might be some hardware defect in the print server,
perhaps a problem with the antenna, which was not attached to the
print server when I opened the package. Connecting the antenna was not
a problem, but I was surprised to find it disconnected since the
printed instructions don't say anything about connecting the antenna,
and the picture of the package contents shows the print server with
the antenna connected, and the antenna was lying loose in the box,
whereas everything else was inside a plastic package.

Lancelot

Lancelot
Old March 8th 08, 05:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

Lancelot wrote:
[...]

As a diagnostic I would try it with security turned off .
Old March 8th 08, 05:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article adb0f987-b80f-40bc-beac-
, Lancelot
says...
[...]

The antenna obviously works well enough to find your network, so it's
not that simple. Have you tried running it in Ad Hoc mode to see if one
of your computers can talk to it?
Old March 8th 08, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , robert
lid says...

As a diagnostic I would try it with security turned off .

Always a good idea to eliminate the obvious before heading off in what
could be the wrong direction. :-)