Problem with Pipex?

Old March 11th 08, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Default Problem with Pipex?

I'm unable to send emails via my usual SMTP server. They give message
"Error reported by server: 421 #4.4.5 Too many connections to this
host.."

Anyone else having problems please?

I tried checking the status of the Pipex network, but get Invalid Page
on that and several other links I tried. Maybe they're out of date - I
recall hearing that Pipex had been taken over by 'Vialtus'? Anyone
have new links for network status please? This works,
http://www.dial.pipex.com/support/
but the 'Network Status' link does not.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old March 11th 08, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
I'm unable to send emails via my usual SMTP server. They give message
"Error reported by server: 421 #4.4.5 Too many connections to this
host.."

Anyone else having problems please?

I tried checking the status of the Pipex network, but get Invalid Page
on that and several other links I tried. Maybe they're out of date - I
recall hearing that Pipex had been taken over by 'Vialtus'? Anyone
have new links for network status please? This works,
http://www.dial.pipex.com/support/
but the 'Network Status' link does not.

Same with Nildram, on and off this afternoon.
I think Nildram and Pipex are Tiscali now.
Problem with the Nildram service status page is that it's too slow at being
updated.

Old March 11th 08, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

"Grumps" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
I'm unable to send emails via my usual SMTP server. They give message
"Error reported by server: 421 #4.4.5 Too many connections to this
host.."

Anyone else having problems please?

I tried checking the status of the Pipex network, but get Invalid Page
on that and several other links I tried. Maybe they're out of date - I
recall hearing that Pipex had been taken over by 'Vialtus'? Anyone
have new links for network status please? This works,
http://www.dial.pipex.com/support/
but the 'Network Status' link does not.

Same with Nildram, on and off this afternoon.
I think Nildram and Pipex are Tiscali now.
Problem with the Nildram service status page is that it's too slow at being
updated.

I eventually contacted someone at Pipex (based in Philippines...) who
confirmed there *was* a major outage.

Even now, a few hours later, the 'Pipes System Status' page at
http://www.hosting-status.pipex.net/
(the only one I can reach) says:
"System Status
There are no current systems problems and no planned outages."

This chap at Pipex had no idea of any change in Pipex ownership. I'm
thoroughly confused. That's 3 names I've seen in this context:
Vialtus, GX Networks, and Tiscali. Anyone have a clear picture please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old March 11th 08, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
news
"Grumps" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If I were running a half decent ISP, as soon as an outage was apparent, I'd
update the system status page on my web site. That's the decent thing to do
to keep customers happy.
If I were a ****ty ISP, I'd give out an 0870 phone number for support, get
as many customers to call as possible, and make some money out of the
situation.

I'm on Nildram, Pipex Business bill me monthly, and my ping to
smtp.nildram.co.uk gets altered to smtp.nildram.tiscali.co.uk

All clear now :-)

Old March 11th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Grumps" wrote:

[...]

From Nilly system status page:

"Customers may currently be experiencing intermittent problems sending mail
via our SMTP servers.

Our engineers are working to resolve this issue at the highest priority.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Old March 11th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 11/03/2008 15:52, Terry Pinnell wrote:

This chap at Pipex had no idea of any change in Pipex ownership. I'm
thoroughly confused. That's 3 names I've seen in this context:
Vialtus, GX Networks, and Tiscali.

Tiscali own the broadband bits of pipex, GX Networks own the other bits
(the companies Pipex bought up like 123-reg and netfusion), I've no idea
who Vialtus are.
Old March 12th 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 11/03/2008 15:52, Terry Pinnell wrote:

This chap at Pipex had no idea of any change in Pipex ownership. I'm
thoroughly confused. That's 3 names I've seen in this context:
Vialtus, GX Networks, and Tiscali.

Tiscali own the broadband bits of pipex, GX Networks own the other bits
(the companies Pipex bought up like 123-reg and netfusion), I've no idea
who Vialtus are.

I think Pipex have totally lost it. I'm still getting my regular 5 min
dropout after 3 weeks, their usenet is crippled and the speeds are really,
really bad. I've been, I think, all over the world (literally!) trying to
get things sorted and failed. They kept moving me to different servers,
nobody seems to know what's going on. Their website is useless.

I've got my MAC code and I'm moving. That's all I can say, really .....

Barb