Can I use an AP as a better client/receiver for my PC?

Old March 12th 08, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Can I use an AP as a better client/receiver for my PC?

In my home I have ADSL broadband over the phone line, coming into a BT
Home Hub (DSL modem/firewall/wireless router). The wireless coverage
is not good, especially to an office where my wife's PC is located.
Moving the router is not an option. But...

My wife's PC has a little USB dongle as a WiFi client. I also have a
spare NetGear wireless access point. Would it be a good idea to
replace my wife's PC's dongle with the NetGear AP? Is it possible to
configure an AP to act as a client? How?

Thanks

Old March 12th 08, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote in message

In my home I have ADSL broadband over the phone line, coming into a BT
Home Hub (DSL modem/firewall/wireless router). The wireless coverage
is not good, especially to an office where my wife's PC is located.
Moving the router is not an option. But...

My wife's PC has a little USB dongle as a WiFi client. I also have a
spare NetGear wireless access point. Would it be a good idea to
replace my wife's PC's dongle with the NetGear AP? Is it possible to
configure an AP to act as a client? How?

Thanks

Or use a USB extension cable (type A male to type A female)
to move the dongle to a more favourable place

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old March 12th 08, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Lowe

wrote in message

In my home I have ADSL broadband over the phone line, coming into a BT
Home Hub (DSL modem/firewall/wireless router). The wireless coverage
is not good, especially to an office where my wife's PC is located.
Moving the router is not an option. But...

My wife's PC has a little USB dongle as a WiFi client. I also have a
spare NetGear wireless access point. Would it be a good idea to
replace my wife's PC's dongle with the NetGear AP? Is it possible to
configure an AP to act as a client? How?

Thanks

Probably not.

But how about using the access point as, well, an access point?
Cable it back to the router, and that will extend the wireless coverage.

--
Ron

Old March 12th 08, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
wrote:

In my home I have ADSL broadband over the phone line, coming into a BT
Home Hub (DSL modem/firewall/wireless router). The wireless coverage
is not good, especially to an office where my wife's PC is located.
Moving the router is not an option. But...

My wife's PC has a little USB dongle as a WiFi client. I also have a
spare NetGear wireless access point. Would it be a good idea to
replace my wife's PC's dongle with the NetGear AP? Is it possible to
configure an AP to act as a client? How?

It may be possible - some access points can work in "reverse" and act as
a client bridge. You'd best look at the manual, or it's configuration
screens, or post the full model number...

But you might be easier just getting a USB extension cable for the Wi-Fi
dongle thing and oving that to a better place.

Gordon