Broadband for 15 ...

Old March 12th 08, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

Default Broadband for 15 ...

... or less

I'm currently a Pipex user, 2Mb connection/15Gb download limit and I have
access to usenet. (I only read text groups) I've fairly limited needs and
Pipex have been fine so far with few niggles, main one being that sometimes
when watching streaming videos it stops to buffer. On a bad day this is
really annoying especially if I've paid for the stream. I pay Pipex
14.99pm.

My average monthly download is 3-4Gb, I don't do any online gaming.
Basically I surf web pages, watch streaming videos, read a few text news
groups & some peer to peer downloads.

I could move to Pipex Midi with an 8Mb connection, 10Gb limit @ 14.99. I'm
worried that if I stay with Pipex even on an 8Mb connection that my videos
won't stream seamlessly.

Tiscali do an 8Mb connection with unlimited download @ 14.99. But aren't
Tiscali and Pipex the same company now and therefore their streams may be no
better?

Sadly I can't get the Sky offers in my area.

Once upon a long ago to get free dial-up access I transferred my phone to
Telnet/Greatxscape. They went bust and I had to crawl back to BT so I don't
want to transfer my phone again.

I'd like an 8Mb connection with a reasonable download limit for 15 or less.
So recommendations for a decent provider up to that price please.

--
JC

Old March 12th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Far

"JC" wrote in message
I'd like an 8Mb connection with a reasonable download limit for 15 or
less. So recommendations for a decent provider up to that price please.

How about O2 or Be? Both offer unlimited broadband for under 15. Be charge
14 a month. O2 charge 12.50 or 7.50 if you are an O2 customer (contract
or PAYG as long as you top up at least 10 every 3 months). O2 also offer an
up to 16mbps service for not very much more at 15 (10 if you're an O2
customer).

--
Far

Old March 12th 08, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Far" wrote in message

How about O2 or Be? Both offer unlimited broadband for under 15. Be
charge 14 a month. O2 charge 12.50 or 7.50 if you are an O2 customer
(contract or PAYG as long as you top up at least 10 every 3 months). O2
also offer an up to 16mbps service for not very much more at 15 (10 if
you're an O2 customer).

From o2 site: "Super fast O2 Broadband will be zooming into your area soon"
I registered an interest some time ago but have heard nothing yet. My mobile
is with o2.

And I get this message on the Be site "Unfortunately Be is not available in
your area yet"

Starting to think I live in the outback, no Sky, o2 or Be! Is this anything
to do with the term LLU I read sometimes, what is that all about anyway?

Still open to recommendations, the o2 sounds good but how long is "zooming
in soon"

Thanks

--
JC

Old March 12th 08, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

"Far" wrote in message ...
"JC" wrote in message
I'd like an 8Mb connection with a reasonable download limit for 15 or
less. So recommendations for a decent provider up to that price please.

How about O2 or Be? Both offer unlimited broadband for under 15. Be
charge 14 a month. O2 charge 12.50 or 7.50 if you are an O2 customer
(contract or PAYG as long as you top up at least 10 every 3 months). O2
also offer an up to 16mbps service for not very much more at 15 (10 if
you're an O2 customer).

--
Far

Assuming OP is in an O2 LLU area. As Sky is not available it is more ikely
that O2 is not either, although samknows will tell you.

Old March 12th 08, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

In article , "JC" tullyhubbert
says...
[...]

*Up to 8Mb* - you might not get any faster than what you currently have.
--
Regards
Jon
Old March 12th 08, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Jon" wrote in message

*Up to 8Mb* - you might not get any faster than what you currently have.

Jon various checks say my line will do 5Mb. Thanks to Herman and samknows
(Thats a nice site, thanks Herman) I can see that my exchange is not LLU
enabled. So suggestions ignoring LLU still welcomed.

--
JC

Old March 12th 08, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Herman" wrote in message

Assuming OP is in an O2 LLU area. As Sky is not available it is more
ikely that O2 is not either, although samknows will tell you.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ex...hp?ecode=NICRH

My exchange, no LLU and no date I can see reference it happening. 21CN to be
installed Q3 2008 but that would appear to be of little interest to me.

--
JC

Old March 12th 08, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'd like an 8Mb connection with a reasonable download limit for 15 or less.
So recommendations for a decent provider up to that price please.

What speed are you actually connecting at, at present, and do you have
any line stats available ?
Old March 12th 08, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message

What speed are you actually connecting at, at present, and do you have
any line stats available ?

Up Down
Data rate (Kbps) 2272 288
Noise Margin (db) 17.3 25.0
Output power (dBm) 18.7 12.1
Attenuation (db) 43.0 22.5

Hope this helps

--
JC

Old March 12th 08, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

JC wrote:

Tiscali do an 8Mb connection with unlimited download @ 14.99. But aren't
Tiscali and Pipex the same company now and therefore their streams may be no
better?

Avoid like the PLAGUE. My neighbour has had nothing but trouble after being
completely 'unbundled' (both phone and broadband) onto Tiscali LLU last month.
Weeks of outages (both phone and broadband).

Graham