Cause Of Intermittent Disconnections .

Old March 13th 08, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Cause Of Intermittent Disconnections .

I have been having a problem recently with periods of intermittent
disconnections .I can switch my PC on and it can run and run for hours
on end and then for no apparent reason I get disconnected or get a
message saying I have " Limited Or No Connectivity " .I then have to
either repair the connection or disable and then enable the connection
and sometimes several attempts need to be made and further
disconnections can happen immediately or not . I am using a D-Link
DSL 300T ADSL Modem.

Other than a problem with the BT wiring between myself and the
exchange or at the exchange to PlusNet is it possible that anything or
anyone locally could be using something that would cause this ...I
can't see how it can be anything with my setup as why would the
connection run for hours without trouble . Could wetness from rain
outside my building be a problem ..

If it continues I will need to raise a ticket with PlusNet and go
through the procedures laid down by them ,connecting to the BT socket
etc etc but at the moment I am clutching at straws .

Old March 13th 08, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me to be a problem between your PC and equipment. The DSL 300T
is an ethernet device and the error you are reporting is telling your
that there's a communication error between your network card and modem.
This would prevent you getting online even if your modem was still
connected to us.

TBH, you might save yourself a lot of time ruling out hardware at this
early stage. Would you be able to borrow a modem or router of a friend
or member of family that you could try?

Kind Rgds,

--
www.plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old March 13th 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:53:18 -0000, "kraftee"

[...]

Are you using a wireless connection between router & computer?

Also how long is it between periods of instability?

The modem is connected to the PC by a RJ45(?) Ethernet Cable .

The connection can ( but not always) run for hours without problems
..Like today for example,I switched the PC on about 10.30 hrs and it
was almost 1500 hrs before it disconnected and it suffered a few
disconnections within the next few minutes and it has been OK since .
Old March 13th 08, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:07:51 +0000, PlusNet Support Team

[...]

Probably not .I might just buy another but why does it run for hours
without a problem if that is the case ?

Stuart
Old March 13th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 13-Mar-2008, wrote:

Probably not .I might just buy another but why does it run for hours
without a problem if that is the case ?

Maybe it's a dry joint, or thermally related.
Some of the early ADSL only modems like the Draytek
Vigor 2600 go for around a tenner on eBay.
Being basic ADSL you'll only get 4Mbps since it
doesn't support the faster protocols, there
is a long and difficult line firmware flash for it, and
you can, if there is no change, reflash to standard.
I have had problems with D-Link kit, they seem
to keep changing suppliers
so I'd try an alternative to your DSL 300T.
It's also worth seeing what line stats your existing
D-Link is reporting Atten, S/N ratio, and any Link
Down, Link Up events.
There are a few ping utilities, mostly free downloads,
which could be set to ping your router every few
secs. I've used them for diagnosing flaky wireless
links. They run for an hour or more, then suddenly,
No replies, then the replies to Pings come back again.
Some have sound capability, so no reply to
ping produces a beep, ting, or whatever .wav file you
choose.
You can also set to ping your ISP, or some address
that responds to pings.
That should sort out whether it's PC to router or
router to exchange.
If it is PC to router, then it's a case of diagnosing
your network, first thing I'd try is static IP addressing.
If it's router to exchange, are you off a pole and
dropwire, with an aging junction box on top of
the pole?
Old March 13th 08, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:57:51 GMT, wrote:

On 13-Mar-2008,
wrote:

[...]

Thx for all that .I'm not sure what "stats" I can get from my Modem
...Not as many as a router I'd imagine but anyway I have ordered a new
one .I did stick with D-link tho, as I also have a D-Link W/Less
DI-624 router that I used to use so it might get dragged back in to
use .
As for the BT wiring ouside the flats I'll need to have another look
ouside but there is a pole a few yards away and some wires coming from
it and on the back of my building there is a black junction box and I
also noticed that the wire that goes up to my bedroom where the main
BT box is has a join in it with two what looks like plastic bits
covering each join. so maybe there is "room for improvement" there .
Old March 13th 08, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Fraser

wrote in message
I have been having a problem recently with periods of intermittent
disconnections .I can switch my PC on and it can run and run for hours
on end and then for no apparent reason I get disconnected or get a
message saying I have " Limited Or No Connectivity " .I then have to
either repair the connection or disable and then enable the connection
and sometimes several attempts need to be made and further
disconnections can happen immediately or not . I am using a D-Link
DSL 300T ADSL Modem.

"Limited or no connectivity" is (somewhat unhelpful) Windows-speak for DHCP
failure.

Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Then look in Computer
Management/System Tools/Event Viewer/System for entries with a Source of
Dhcp. Hopefully this will confirm the reason for the problem.

It is difficult to say what the cause is - but it certainly sounds like it
is LAN (router, network cable, or possibly the computer) rather than WAN
(telephone wiring, exchange, ISP, and beyond).

Alex

Old March 13th 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:52:50 -0000, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hmmm...That's interesting but means not a lot to me .
For today alone there are at least one hundred marked as "warning" or
"error"
I have capped them and put one of each of the different ones here .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/DHCP/001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/DHCP/002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/DHCP/003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/DHCP/004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/DHCP/005.jpg

Old March 13th 08, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Fraser

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:52:50 -0000, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:
wrote in message
. ..
[...]

OK... so you have a public IP address on the network card. (I hope you have
a firewall installed.) I take it you have a static IP from PlusNet?

What type of connection is configured on the modem? Also, can you see any
logs of connection status, and is there any correlation with the times of
the DHCP errors in the Event Log on the computer?

Alex