Sea Shepherd E-Newsletter Operation Migaloo a Success- 500 Whales Saved! 11

Old March 14th 08, 08:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.os.linux,uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.comp.vendors
( _ /)

Default Sea Shepherd E-Newsletter Operation Migaloo a Success- 500 Whales Saved! 11

March 13, 2008 11
Dear D,
www.seashepherd.org

As the whaling season draws to a close, so does our Whale Defense
Campaign, Operation Migaloo. After numerous confrontations with the
Japanese whalers over the course of many weeks, we were able to keep
the spot light on Japan's illegal whaling program and in so doing,
saved nearly 500 whales from their deadly harpoons. As our ship
returns to Melbourne, we are satisfied knowing we have saved so many
lives, and feel remorse for the ones we couldn't. Now we prepare for
our Seal Defense Campaign, and hope that our efforts for the whales
have not been in vain.

Operatio Migaloo a Success- 500 Whales Saved!
http://tinyurl.com/3dq292

Steve Irwin returning to Melbourne
For more than five weeks since January 12th, Sea Shepherd has
successfully prevented the Japanese whaling fleet from murdering any
whales. By our estimate, that means nearly 500 Piked whales have been
spared this season, half of the Japanese quota. And, no humpbacks were
killed at all. This makes Operation Migaloo the longest and most
successful Whale Defense Campaign in our history.

Near the end of our fuel reserves, we have left the Japanese whaling
fleet in the midst of a huge Antarctic winter storm and are returning
to Melbourne. We're expected to arrive this weekend, and will be
dockside by March 17th at Wharf 3 in the Docklands. Come visit to show
your support!

Captain Watson Survives Shooting Attempt
On March 7th in the Southern Ocean during a confrontation with the
Japanese whaling fleet, Captain Watson was watching his crew throw
rancid butter canisters at the whalers when he felt a thud in his
chest. Moments later, he inspected his kevlar vest and discovered he'd
been shot just above the heart. Because of his vest and an
anti-poaching metal badge underneath, Captain Watson sustained only
minor injuries and is fine. The badge however was bent significantly.

Although the Japanese embassy initially reported that the whalers had
fired warning shots at our ship, they quickly denied the claim once
Sea Shepherd announced Captain Watson had been shot. They also claim
the grenades the Japanese Coast Guard threw at the Steve Irwin, which
caused minor injuries for two crewmembers, were "warning balls."

Click here to watch the video of the confrontation
http://tinyurl.com/2tckj5
To read Captain Watson's commentary on staying focused on the real
issues, click here http://tinyurl.com/3xqgwa

Seal Demonstrations this Weekend!
March 15th is the International Day of Action for the Seals and
demonstrations have been organized globally. To find out if there's a
demonstration near you, click here!
http://tinyurl.com/2tju9u

This Whale Defense Campaign, Operation Migaloo, has been one of the
most successful Sea Shepherd campaigns for the whales in our 30 year
history. We intend to maintain our momentum for ocean wildlife
straight through into our next campaign for the Canadian harp seals,
which is only possible with the continued support of our friends
around the world. Thank you for helping to make it happen.

For the Oceans,

Captain Paul Watson
Founder and President
______________________________________
website: www.seashepherd.org

Join the Direct Action Crew and get a FREE Sea Shepherd T-shirt! When
you join the Direct Action Crew, our monthly donation program, you
will receive a free t-shirt and 20% off of all Sea Shepherd
merchandise for the duration of your participation in the program. Put
your donations directly to work to protect marine wildlife in peril!
Now you can sign up online.
Sign Up Now Online!

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society | PO Box 2616 | Friday Harbor | WA |
98250