O2/Be LLU etc

Old March 14th 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default O2/Be LLU etc

Hi All

I've done a quick search and didn't find that this had been asked before.

I've currently got an ADSL MAX connection (up to 8meg) and sync betwen
6-7meg.
If I migrate to an LLU operator (eg O2) which is availble from my exchange,
and they advertise up to 16 (or 20) meg, would I still likely be capped by
the rate I'm on at the moment, or is the LLU equipment 'better' than the BT
stuff?

Old March 14th 08, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Grumps wrote:
Hi All

I've done a quick search and didn't find that this had been asked
before.
I've currently got an ADSL MAX connection (up to 8meg) and sync betwen
6-7meg.
If I migrate to an LLU operator (eg O2) which is availble from my
exchange, and they advertise up to 16 (or 20) meg, would I still
likely be capped by the rate I'm on at the moment, or is the LLU
equipment 'better' than the BT stuff?

Yep, it's often better because it's newer and so the latest technology, but
of course, you should ask your prospective ISP before you leap )

John

Old March 14th 08, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi All

I've done a quick search and didn't find that this had been asked before.

I've currently got an ADSL MAX connection (up to 8meg) and sync betwen
6-7meg.
If I migrate to an LLU operator (eg O2) which is availble from my
exchange, and they advertise up to 16 (or 20) meg, would I still likely be
capped by the rate I'm on at the moment, or is the LLU equipment 'better'
than the BT stuff?

"Better", so I understand.
It uses ADSL2+, as far as I'm aware, which is faster than ADSL Max if you
live near the exchange (your speed looks good in that respect).
If you're out in the sticks like me with a speed of not much more that 2
Meg, then there would be no improvement.

George

Old March 14th 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If I migrate to an LLU operator (eg O2) which is availble from my exchange,
and they advertise up to 16 (or 20) meg, would I still likely be capped by
the rate I'm on at the moment, or is the LLU equipment 'better' than the BT
stuff?

The Be forums have a graph that was populated by real-life visitors
with their connection speeds that might be of use (you need to know
what your attenuation is though)

http://www.dontbethere.co.uk/forum/d...spx?f=2&m=3875
Old March 14th 08, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

"George Weston" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi All

I've done a quick search and didn't find that this had been asked before.

I've currently got an ADSL MAX connection (up to 8meg) and sync betwen
6-7meg.
If I migrate to an LLU operator (eg O2) which is availble from my
exchange, and they advertise up to 16 (or 20) meg, would I still likely
be capped by the rate I'm on at the moment, or is the LLU equipment
'better' than the BT stuff?

"Better", so I understand.
It uses ADSL2+, as far as I'm aware, which is faster than ADSL Max if you
live near the exchange (your speed looks good in that respect).
If you're out in the sticks like me with a speed of not much more that 2
Meg, then there would be no improvement.

George

You may be surprised. I was with BT a couple of years back - 1 mbps down
was all they could manage. With O2 ADSL2+ I am now on 3.9 mbps down, 1 mbps
up on a line 3.7km from the exchange.

It does depend on your equipment/wiring as well of course, but don't write
it off...

Dunno what sort of costs I would have if I wanted to go back to non-LLU, but
I would only go back for cost reasons. At 7.50/pm now, I can't see any
cost advantage to moving back within the near future, and certainly no speed
benefit!

Old March 14th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi All

I've done a quick search and didn't find that this had been asked before.

I've currently got an ADSL MAX connection (up to 8meg) and sync betwen
6-7meg.
If I migrate to an LLU operator (eg O2) which is availble from my
exchange, and they advertise up to 16 (or 20) meg, would I still likely be
capped by the rate I'm on at the moment, or is the LLU equipment 'better'
than the BT stuff?

I live 200m from a BT exchange and "Be" could only manage 18Mb. So I went
with "o2", got 16Mb and saved 3 a month.
LLU is often better. Speeds quoted are often rubbish. Sync speed is
different to throughput.